Hey everyone,

So I've been playing guitar now for about 4 years and I'm looking to get a serious axe. I like playing heavy down tuned stuff, mostly in drop Bb/A# however you like. I'm looking to spend no more than 1000$.

I'm looking to buy a baritone that is around 28'', with hopefully a set neck and emg/blackouts. However, I can't seem to find anything like this. Mike mushocks from prs is perfect except it doesn't have active pickups and all the bands I like use them. I also am completely knew to the idea of switching pickups and I'm hoping to avoid having to pay some guy to do what is prolly a simple job 100's of dollars.

I also have a question, what is the difference in sound between a neck with a curved top or a flat top?

Anyways, thanks!
The Mike Mushok PRS is a beast of a guitar, it's probably your best option in that range apart from Agile.

As for the EMG argument, they're something of a sticking point in this community, pretty much a love hate thing. My advice would be try and give the Mushok a go and see how you like the passives (which are surprisingly good for stocks) then look into how much it'd be to change them to EMGs if you dislike them (pickup swaps should be $70 tops, but EMGs have a new Quik Connect system which doesn't require a soldering iron, easy as pie)

Also how do you mean about necks with curved and flat tops? Do you mean fretboard radius?
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Yes, fret board radius is what I'm talking about... I think hehe.

Oh and I forgot to mention no 7 - 8 strings, I already suck at 6 lol! 8 )
As far as I'm aware there's little to no difference in sound. The difference is in feel and how it affects the playing action.

Old Fenders had very small radiuses which had a great feel for chording, but required a higher action to counterbalance the arched strings and don't allow as wide bends without choking out. Guitars like Ibanez on the other hand have very flat radiuses which allow a very low action as there is little arching in the strings and wider bends without choking out, but many find these uncomfortable.

Jackson offer conical fretboard radiuses which are a definite compromise. Round near the nut for a nicer feel and easier chording, flatter near the body for bigger bends.

If you don't mind going used maybe have a look for an LTD MHB400 too, you might get lucky
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Have a look at the Ibby RGD, Mushok or the Hellraiser C-1 EX.
The hellraiser comes with EMGs in it also.
There won't be much difference in tone based on the neck radius, but I'd suggest
getting a flatter fretboard for your music tastes.
Quote by Waddy

The switch from a six to a seven isn't really that tough. I've seen more seven string guitars than baritones, so you'd have a lot more variety to choose from. There really isn't any advantage to getting a baritone as opposed to a seven string, and the option to keep that top e-string lets you get a lot more range out of your guitar.
The switch from a six to a seven isn't really that tough. I've seen more seven string guitars than baritones, so you'd have a lot more variety to choose from. There really isn't any advantage to getting a baritone as opposed to a seven string, and the option to keep that top e-string lets you get a lot more range out of your guitar.

Agreed. That's what I just did.
Then there are Baritone 7's like my Stephen Carpenter 607B.
You can tune it down to E no problem, then you can afford to abuse your bassist.
Quote by Waddy

Why are you opposed to a 7 string? That's the easiest way to get the long scale you need for the uber low drop tunings.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier