HI, I'm determined to learn cliffs of dover on guitar however I am having a lot of dificulty due to my hands not quite moving fast enough. Could anyone tell me any ways to improve both my fretboard and picking speed? How long should I be practicing each technique?

Thanks in advance
Try to find songs that are at the top or a bit above your ability and play along with those,
I started off with songs like reckless life and then dr. feelgood style.
Whole kill 'em all is a nice one to practice and then the master of puppets album too.
thats how i practiced it.
Play with a metronome. Seriously. Best thing you can do.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Quote by Baba O'Riley
Play with a metronome. Seriously. Best thing you can do.

This.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
The best way is this:

1- learn the lick you're having trouble with at a speed that you are completely comfortable with.
2- subtract 20 bpm.
3- play on metronome 5 times in a row perfectly. If you mess up, start over.
4- add 1 bpm.
5- repeat steps 3 and 4 until you can play it faster than it's meant to be played.

practice again the next day until you got it perfectly!

I swear this actually works.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
The best way is this:

1- learn the lick you're having trouble with at a speed that you are completely comfortable with.
2- subtract 20 bpm.
3- play on metronome 5 times in a row perfectly. If you mess up, start over.
4- add 1 bpm.
5- repeat steps 3 and 4 until you can play it faster than it's meant to be played.

practice again the next day until you got it perfectly!

I swear this actually works.
This is a great way to learn difficult runs. It make "impossible" licks much more approachable.
It's impossible to use a metronome for the introduction though, it's in free time.
Isn't it a pity?
Now, isn't it a shame?
How we break each other's hearts,
And cause each other pain...

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon
Quote by 007dude
It's impossible to use a metronome for the introduction though, it's in free time.

you can use a metronome for the individual runs.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
you can use a metronome for the individual runs.

Yeah thats what I was planning on doing It will take a while though

Thanks to everyone else who gave advise