Well, I just got my Gibson Sg Standard - Heritage Cherry, and a line 6 spider iv 75 amplifier. I am not that good at guitar yet, I just know power chords mostly. I would love to get advices on how to play solo's, for example which scales to practice on and such. Basically anything to help me become better on solo's and generally playing songs is welcome. I want to play rock/hard rock mostly, like AC/DC, Metallica, Iron Maiden, you know, that kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance,
Fiery96.
your just starting and you have a Gibson Standard?!?

Try Highway to Hell its pretty easy.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Last edited by Most_Triumphant at Jun 30, 2011,
Quote by Fiery96
Well, I just got my Gibson Sg Standard - Heritage Cherry, and a line 6 spider iv 75 amplifier. I am not that good at guitar yet, I just know power chords mostly. I would love to get advices on how to play solo's, for example which scales to practice on and such. Basically anything to help me become better on solo's and generally playing songs is welcome. I want to play rock/hard rock mostly, like AC/DC, Metallica, Iron Maiden, you know, that kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance,
Fiery96.

1)
Quote by Most_Triumphant
your just starting and you have a Gibson Standard?!?

This

2) What you really need is a new amp

3) Metallica, Iron maiden = rock/hard rock

4) Start with AC DC, buy guitar pro, download tabs, learn to read them, play as in tab, if you have any trouble with technique, consult with youtube
I bought the amp together with it and the amp was said to be good. Anything wrong? :P
Quote by Fiery96
I bought the amp together with it and the amp was said to be good. Anything wrong? :P

I thought line 6 spider amps were considered to be the pinnacle of worst amps ever..

"What you really need is a new amp"

Is a common expression on this forum which represents a perfect and ideal answer and remedy to all of your problems presented on this forum. So, whatever the question would be, what you really need, is a new amp.
Last edited by Zeletros at Jun 30, 2011,
Hmm, I do got 14 days to deliever back, and I'm not sure if I will become that good at guitar.. I do have a beginner set, and I've had it for some time, and I ain't exactly pro yet... Perhaps I will lose interest in guitar... I think I should deliever back and stick to my beginner set.
Quote by Fiery96
Hmm, I do got 14 days to deliever back, and I'm not sure if I will become that good at guitar.. I do have a beginner set, and I've had it for some time, and I ain't exactly pro yet... Perhaps I will lose interest in guitar... I think I should deliever back and stick to my beginner set.

Well you can deliver back the amp, but keep the guitar, there are way better amps out there, and not necessarily expensive
Well, I do like the guitar, but what if I lose interest in guitar? thats like 1500 dollars wasted (9000 norske kroner).
Stop hating the man for getting a quality guitar to begin with. I did the same and it was a great decision.

Also, Iron Maiden isn't rock/hard rock. It's heavy metal at its core, NWOBHM to be exact.

I recommend reading some guides and tutorials here, maybe check out these: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_i__1_introduction_-_the_guitar.html
The theory sections can be a bit overwhelming at first, but try to wrap them around your head :P

Look into some Deep Purple and Rainbow songs maybe: Kill The King, Burn, Black Night, Highway Star, Rat Bat Blue... The choices are endless!

You don't need a new amp as long as you're happy with your current one. I really recommend getting Guitar Pro though. It's a great tool for practising. You can download almost any song's tab from here and practise it in low speed withing the software. Works wonders for challenging passages.

EDIT: Naturally, higher value guitars have more resale value. Don't stress too much about it. If you just keep playing guitar you won't lose interest in it. Maybe consider taking some lessons to get you started with. Try to have fun with it.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Last edited by Flibo at Jun 30, 2011,
Probably not what you want to hear, but if all you know are power chords you should really not worry with soloing for a WHILE.

I tried that whole "I wanna play lead" thing when I got started, and got burnt out pretty quick. Learn whole chords...open chords, bar chords, apreggios. Then learn to move between chords without stopping and without hitting dead strings (I still do it sometimes). Once you have that down, start playing apreggiated chords with hammer-ons and pull-offs. Once you have that down, pick a song with an easy solo (Nothing Else Matters is a good one) and learn to play it perfectly. By perfectly, I mean learn not only the notes and techniques used, but why they're used. I'm having trouble with the why part. I am able to play almost anything, but I can't tell you why it is played that way...and this is why I have trouble composing my own music.

You must crawl before you run...and you MUST learn rhythm before you learn lead...it will make you more capable in the long run. Most if all - feel the music. If you're playing and you can't close your eyes and forget the world even exists, you aren't feeling it...and that's what music is all about.

Now...for the sake if the topic title, here are some good songs to start with:

Nothing Else Matters
The Unforgiven
Hells Bells
Knockin On Heaven's Door
Simple Man (you may not like Skynyrd, but this is a classic that I recommend to anyone starting out)
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Rocktron Metal Planet Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah