Hey guys I am looking for some help on picking a new guitar i already have a bc rich revenger And I want something kinda different I am thinking about a fender or a Jackson I was looking at he Jackson dinky it looks nice but I need some help thank you if you can
What type of music and your budget please.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well we are getting it at a local shop around here and we are putting it in lay away witch means pay so much a mouth until it's payed of and around 400 to300
I would say Jackson , but depending on your budget I'd look at the soloist over the DKNY, just a better guitar IMO.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Jeremih
That's way out of my budget

Sorry I didn't see the $300-$400 range. The DKNY will be fine, if you can find a used one at the store you may be able to get a better guitar for less.
And if you can try out LTD M or MH guitars, they are very similar to the DKNY
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Jeremih
I haven't looked at the soloist what do you think about fender

I really don't care for Fenders, not that they are bad, but I just prefer other guitars. If you are thinking of Fender look into one with a HB in the bridge.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What's your current amp?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What's your current amp?

Inb4 you need a new amp.

You could use a Fender for 80's rock, I suppose, but the singlecoils aren't made for it and odds are the Jackson (a company owned by Fender!) guitars will do much more for your love of 80's rock.
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
I can't find a tab that doesn't have guitar pro in it for big good bye great white
Maybe a new amp is really what you need.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The one I have I like I do need a bigger amp but there is no ones out there I like
well depending on what you want to spend, good modeling amp (Peavey vyper,Vox Valvetronix, Fender Mustang..) maybe the way to go. You also have some cheaper tube amps like the VHT special 6 1x12 combo that runs around $350 new, or you could go for a Peavey Windsor studio 1x12 combo for $400. This is a Marshall JCM 800 clone and is a very good sounding amp for the price. Perfect for that 80's rock metal thrash tone.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 30, 2011,
Quote by Jeremih
I have a small marshall amp 10 volt I think

10 watt maybe?

Yeah, in this case, a new amp is probably advised. I'm quite the amp-noob, so good luck (also if you decide to buy a new guitar as well! )
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
That is up to you, but you will get much better tone out of a new amp rather than a new guitar. So go with the Jackson and have fun.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I would say Jackson , but depending on your budget I'd look at the soloist over the DKNY, just a better guitar IMO.

DKNY

vs.

Jackson Dinky

Last edited by rebar71 at Jun 30, 2011,
well since you play 80s rock and have a marshall 10W i would recommend this:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1998.html

you should have some money already if your putting on layaway. 170 aint much.

and then save up for or put a vypyr 30 on layaway. this guitar WILL be good enough. despite it being 170 and B stock because of 1 small(1mm) white spot, it can sound just as good as an epiphone lp standard(2-3x the price).

edit: i say this guitar because your doing pantera and zep, which means multiple tunings, and an FR is a bad thing for that. Also i find this guitar to be a better deal than any budget jackson.

If this is not to your liking an Ibanez rg321 will do the job quite better also for 300
Last edited by bustapr at Jun 30, 2011,
Ibby RG321 (If it's available, get the RGR321ex)
But Jacksons are great.
I personally wouldn't go near Fender for anything other than country.
Even then, I'd probably go somewhere else.
Really, the amp is what will make all the difference.
Quote by Sir applesauce
But Jacksons are great.

I agree up until you say stay away from fenders....You do know that Fender owns Jackson right? Plenty of Rock/Metal uses fenders...

But Ts, I must also add my voice to those suggesting a new amp....your not gonna get a great guitar for 300-400 bucks..but that will get you a pretty decent amp...get a new amp brah....trust us..
Quote by Sir applesauce

I couldn't disagree more.
At TS:
If you go fender get a strat with a humbucker in the bridge if you are doing rock and heavier stuff
Jacksons are more suited to that heavier sound stock though, so I'd probably go with one of them.
I'd agree with looking at things like the agile or epi les paul copy [or similar] however. Especially for zepplin style rock
RIP Gooze

cats
For 80s rock a bridge humbucker will make your life a lot easier. MIM strats are a pretty good buy for the money, as are the Jacksons in your price range. The strat will probably sound a little brighter, and will almost always have a thicker neck. I also suggest looking into Schecter and Ibanez. Schecters are gonna be really warm and full sounding, and and Ibanez will be very close to a Jackson.

Honestly at this point a new amp would probably be a better investment for you, but if you really really want a new guitar try a bunch and pick the one that has the best feel and sound you're looking for.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I like the shape of the body from that Jackson, but I can't get used to the headstock. It just seem odd and off balance.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
Quote by xgunterx
I like the shape of the body from that Jackson, but I can't get used to the headstock. It just seem odd and off balance.

It scared me as well.
Quote by Sir applesauce
But Jacksons are great.

uradick.

But i agree with everything else, the ibby is a great guitar, i have a dinky, and 3 fenders myself. Theyre all very different guitars. IF you play hair metal and shizz either a HSS strat or a dk2 would be fine, the neck is flatter, thinner and wider on the jackson, more for leads and shred. The strat has a bit more curve to the fretboard, a brighter sound, a bit thicker and not as wide neck.

Try em, see what you prefer. Either could work.

But dont expect it to make much difference to your sound if your playing through a 10 watt marshall MG... Get a guitar that feels nice, and an amp that sounds sick. In an ideal world, everyone should spend more money on their amp than guitar.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jul 1, 2011,