So my music store is having a huge closeout sale, and they're selling the Peavey 6505 slant cabinet for $400 and they have a Peavey VK100 for $300. Would it be a bad idea to pair the two together, and if so, what other amp heads should I look for at about $500?
a used 6505 or 5150 head.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
You could do better for the money The VK is an OK amp, but the speakers in the Peavey cabs leave a lot to be desired.
The only Peavey cabs I like are the BW loaded cabs, the 6505/5150 cabs suck you are paying for the 5150/6505 logo. The Vk is a so so amp IMO you can do much better, A guy on here just got or was looking at a Mesa OS Recto 4x12 for $400. But if you are happy with the sound and price I say why not?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
for 400 you can get a great cab. the peavey isnt great. occasionally mesa 4x12s show up for 400, but thats rare at least where i live. mesa 2x12s go for 400 or less all day though. also look into avatar cabs.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by eyebanez333
That's what I paid for my mesa cab

My friend got a Mesa 4x12 slant for $595 new from a store that stoped carrying Mesa that's an unheard of deal, but $400 used is killer too.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
pish cab.
meh head.

You can do better IMO especially on the cab.
As said Mesa cabs can be had in the usa from the stories i've heard anyway.
You DONT need a 4x12 a 2x12 mesa will sound great.
As for a head if you're strapped for cash you cannot beat a used peavey ultra head. These eat valve kings for lunch. I've tried both and own an ultra. Infact i probably prefer mine to a 6505 which im starting to find a bit generic these days.. Its personal preference really but yah.. you can do better.

It also kinda depends on the genre you're doing you havent really mentioned..
Quote by coolstoryangus
As for a head if you're strapped for cash you cannot beat a used peavey ultra head. These eat valve kings for lunch. I've tried both and own an ultra. Infact i probably prefer mine to a 6505 which im starting to find a bit generic these days.. Its personal preference really but yah.. you can do better.

+1

I've got a XXX and a 6505 and prefer the XXX for most things. 3 channels, better cleans, etc.
It's not a bad deal and that's somewhat the setup I run. I have a VK100 that I run into a 5150cab I like the tightness of the bottom end gives more punch to it if your into that. That's just me. try it out and see what you think. it was that combo of amp and cab that made me seek out my 5150 cab
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Quote by coolstoryangus

It also kinda depends on the genre you're doing you havent really mentioned..

Metal. Very heavily distorted metal.
Also, I'm running this with a Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe, which has the EMG 85/81 set and with a EHX Metal Muff. Also keep in mind this is my first tube amp.
Used ultra/triple x will defintely fit the bill better the valve king.
The metal muff wont be used if you get one of those or a 6505 head for that matter..
Oh yeah definitely. Any decent cab with vintage 30s is pretty much the standard so mesas would rule!
You found a good deal on a used one?
I was looking on Craigslist, and saw a few for about $400-450. I'm not just gonna buy on faith though. Thanks for the advice!