I don't have my amp here right now to try it out, but i'm wondering. Is there any difference in tone between having all your tone knobs at 9, or having all your tone knobs at 1 with the volume up a bit?
Gear:

Ibanez SA-160 (with Dimarzio super distortion)
Laney LX120 halfstack

Quote by ethan_hanus
Spent 5 hours innotating it, I know it's correct.
No you don't!
im not sure what you mean by this, but....

the knobs on your amp control things, such as treble. if you put the treble on 1, you have low treble. if you put the treble on 9, you have high treble. all the other knobs pretty much work the same way. especially the volume knob.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I mean all together, like putting your low, mid and high all on 9. Or putting them all on a lower setting. Will that make a difference?

Will something like
Low 3
Mid 3
High 3
Sound different than
Low 7
Mid 7
High 7
Gear:

Laney LX120 halfstack

Quote by ethan_hanus
No you don't!
yes, because you are using diff levels of each even though "you" have them matching as far as knob placement.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yes it will sound different... tone knobs are essentially potentiometers with differing values. These are often connected in parallel or series with capacitors, which allow different frequencies to be removed from the signal or (in the case of active eqs) boosted. Lets assume that you have an active eq and that 5 is level. If you set all tone knobs to 3, then you are cutting 3 different chunks of frequency out of your overall sound, typically this will make your overall sound a little darker and a little muddier. If you boost them all to 9, then you are augmenting those particular frequencies. Typically this would result in a shriller, harsher sound.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
that's a very interesting question.

I know that on e.g. pedals which have a treble and bass knob, you can use them as a pseudo-3 band eq by either setting the treble and bass high and reducing the volume (= scooped mids) or by setting the treble and bass low and cranking up the volume (= boosted mids).

Actually i think that just answered your question, now I think of it. It probably will make a difference, in terms of the frequency bands which the eq covers versus those which they don't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It depends on the EQ circuit. If it's an active circuit (boost only; if it's a boost/cut, see below), it shouldn't sound much different because the boost is usually designed not to color the tone. With a passive circuit, especially an interactive one like a Vox tone stack, it will sound different. With a marshall or fender style tone stack, you're cutting certain frequencies more than others, but turning up the volume won't raise those frequencies more than others. That's why turning the EQ knobs way down and the volume up tends to 'choke out' the sound of the amp, because your EQ starts to get severe cuts in certain frequency ranges. A vox tone stack is very interactive and will sound way different since it has a relative boost effect when other frequencies are cut.

If that's too poorly explained, think of it this way: Can you turn down the tone knob on your guitar and make it sound the same by turning up the volume? No. It's pretty much the same thing, but less extreme/noticeable since you're dealing with three bands instead of one.
yes it will make a difference. with a marshall style tone stack, with the controls at 3, you'll see more high mids "thicker" sound overall. with the controls at 7, you'll see less high mids, a little more low mids, not that much bass compared to when the controls were at 3. this will result in a thinner sounding sound. HOWEVER the overall output will increase, because the controls are set higher, so you'll suffer less volume loss from the tonestack this way.

basically, yes. it does make a difference. but when an amp designer designs a tonestack for their amp, they probably design with the controls at noon.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
It'll be different. The sweep and value of the tone knows differ, so even though your knobs may all be set the same, they don't affect the sound equally.

Just give it a try! Its pretty interesting on my ENGL, especially for recording.
WTLTL 2011
I like using the middle/bridge pickup with the bridge tone knob at 6. It gives me a nice balance of bass and treble, but not too much treble.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
You've gotten some great answers. I think the overall answer is probably "it depends." And what it depends on is the design of the amp's tone stack.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^yeah, pretty much. but most guitar tone stacks have 'EQ shelves', changing the EQ knobs changes the shape of the shelves. furthermore these knobs aren't independent and one knob's values will change dependent upon another knobs value.

http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/

that will give you an idea of how it works.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
^yeah, pretty much. but most guitar tone stacks have 'EQ shelves', changing the EQ knobs changes the shape of the shelves. furthermore these knobs aren't independent and one knob's values will change dependent upon another knobs value.

http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/

that will give you an idea of how it works.

I downloaded that programm, it's really nice. But do you know which amps tone stack would be most similar to my amp (see sig)?
Gear:

Laney LX120 halfstack

Quote by ethan_hanus
No you don't!
Even if the tone stack is giving you the exact same gain that the volume knob would at every frequency, the gain is occurring at a different point in the circuit. This may result in a different set of components being saturated, which will give you different distortion.
Quote by xadioriderx
you should just mount a really big chunk of wood

Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Quote by sido
I downloaded that programm, it's really nice. But do you know which amps tone stack would be most similar to my amp (see sig)?

i'd hate to guess, but i would assume something like a vox or marshall tonestack. one of these engineers on here could look at a schematic and tell ya pretty quick.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Roc8995
It depends on the EQ circuit. If it's an active circuit (boost only; if it's a boost/cut, see below), it shouldn't sound much different because the boost is usually designed not to color the tone. With a passive circuit, especially an interactive one like a Vox tone stack, it will sound different. With a marshall or fender style tone stack, you're cutting certain frequencies more than others, but turning up the volume won't raise those frequencies more than others. That's why turning the EQ knobs way down and the volume up tends to 'choke out' the sound of the amp, because your EQ starts to get severe cuts in certain frequency ranges. A vox tone stack is very interactive and will sound way different since it has a relative boost effect when other frequencies are cut.

If that's too poorly explained, think of it this way: Can you turn down the tone knob on your guitar and make it sound the same by turning up the volume? No. It's pretty much the same thing, but less extreme/noticeable since you're dealing with three bands instead of one.

I was always under the impression that active EQs were boost/cut. Can anyone back this up?
the laney is solid state so there is actually no way of telling you exactly what the tone stack uses.

It could be a simple passive stack like the ones used in tube amps but it could be something else entirely.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Holy Katana
I was always under the impression that active EQs were boost/cut. Can anyone back this up?

they can be, but not necessarily.

it depends on what the unity of the stack is designed around.

just because an eq is labeled -10 to +10 doesn't mean that the -10 on the eq isn't just unity from the preceding stage.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
mine goes to 11
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?