So apparently I am being challenged to a guitar battle on Saturday....

Page 1 of 3
What are some good solos/songs I could whip out? I don't know if they were kidding about this or not but I still want to be ready.

EDIT: This is going to be at a grad party with a solid 200+ people there, so I don't want to make an ass of myself.
Last edited by schecter ftw at Jun 30, 2011,
solo in whole lotta love by zeppelin,

simple but sounds awesome.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I just cringed a little.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

The guitar stuff from Crossroads is the only way. Stage it. You be Vai.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfojOWLnRUA

You guys think if I busted out something like I did in this video I'd be fine? Please don't take my waving and "ball hair" at the end seriously the video was made a joke for my friend a while back.
Last edited by schecter ftw at Jun 30, 2011,
Quote by schecter ftw

You guys think if I busted out something like I did in this video I'd be fine? Please don't take my waving and "ball hair" at the end seriously the video was made a joke for my friend a while back.

is this thread just a big hack to get people to view that video of you?

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
I say bring a bass.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
let the other guy play, just stare at him real hard while he does it. then when he's done laugh at him and pack up your gear
Quote by schecter ftw

Maybe... but MOAR GAIN!!!! You'll seem more metal than you really are.
I pride myself on my humility.
just do some pentatonic licks, and then legato the Major of that key and bend the last note. Just do it over and over really fast.
learn some classical piece. He'll shit brix.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Why bother worrying about planning it out? Just get some intense feedback and have good stage presence. The key is to not stop the feedback so he never gets a chance to play, and you win every time. Bill O'Reilly is one of my guitar influences.
Quote by schecter ftw

You have a constipated face.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Altitudinous
BUT IF HE'S VAI HE'LL NEVER WIN! cause he QUITS.

**** HIM UP, ODOYLE RULES!!!

Spoiler alert: All the guitar playing that wasn't slide was recorded by Steve Vai. He lost to himself. In fact, he was called back to re-record it because the first time he didn't lose hard enough. The slide parts were Ry Cooder.

That's an idea, actually. Whoever challenged you to a guitar battle probably considers themselves a shred god of some sort. Go and play some slide just for the sake of being different.
Make sure he plays first, bring some crappy starter guitar, play something crappy, finish off by smashing the guitar against his body, killing him on impact.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkGJQemjRF4

Simple song but it's badass and gets the message across, plus you can add some fills/improvisation within the song.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

turn the gain up and screm into your pik ups that way instead of having to worry about your playing you have have to yell what you want to play

also it looks like youre playing with your teeth

also guitar battles are stupid
Quote by schecter ftw

It's not bad but it's just wankery really, play something that you come up with and give a good rhythm with it, it doesn't have to be difficult I've seen a lot of people try and show off just doing fast solos and I'm just standing their like "Ok?..so where was the melody to that and how the f*ck could you even tell where one measure ended and the next began?" leaving me thoroughly unimpressed.
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
Quote by cisco444
Bring an acoustic and play this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYBhw6a1G8c

if too damn difficult then play the riff and solo from "Bad Horsie" by Steve Vai.

thats like those insane pianists, sounds like shit.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
If you're battling and every time it's your turn you start playing variations on the same kind of licks, you're gonna bore 'em (even Yngwie gets lame after a while, go figure). So if you're gonna prepare something, make sure it showcases the different styles you've mastered over the years (if you have, that is)

Do some legato-y stuff, then something bluesy, then jazz away using another pickup, etc. If you're gonna jam unaccompanied then playing stuff that doesn't sound like strictly lead playing is often more interesting (sure, Eruption is nice, but Tommy Emmanuel can make his playing sound like there's bass, lead and rhythm guitar in there). Humor often works well too, so throwing in stuff like Chocolate Rain or some TV tune or something often works (don't do a cover tho, using snippets is more than enough)

What's even better is if you can reproduce your "rival"'s bits but adding little twists, kinda like in that Crossroads video everybody keeps referring to. Notice how karate kid keeps pulling off Vai's licks? That means he's not only "up for the challenge" -> he also ads some extra stuff which in guitar talk means something like "look b*tch, I'll even throw in some extra notes because your licks are boring me"

...oh, and save your best for last

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
its no biggie, like at any battle - bring your axe and dont forget to wear a helmet
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Wait, people actually challenge people with these? I thought it was always just an improvised thing at the end of a song or when your messing around soloing back and forth with a friend and not actually a "battle or challenge"

Or am I right and the guy who challenged TS is just wierd?
Quote by xander307
that wasnt scary daryldom, it turned me on

Proud Canadian Eh?
anybody
who would challenge you
to a "guitar battle"
probably isn't any good
Quote by hr113
its no biggie, like at any battle - bring your axe and dont forget to wear a helmet

yeah
this kind of helmet

Page 1 of 3