So can my drummer.

Buh dum tss.

Anyway, my band is called Things Move In My Closet, and the link is in my signature. (It's also really freaking huge)

So, please just let me know what you think. We're about to start scheduling shows and I'd like some opinions.
I would love to see you do that scream live on Bad Luck Ginger. It would be hilarious. You guys need a hit song for me to be a fan, and get rid of all the screamo shit, You dont have the voice for it.
I'm not the singer, gaiz. xD There is nothing I can do about the vocals. I am the guitarist. Please, instead of just criticizing, tell us. What is there that we did not do right? And what about the scream in Bad Luck Ginger is hilarious? O.o
I'm gonna do this 90's style:

Your riffs are great, dude! Really inventive! The breakdowns are new and refreshing! The screaming is impeccably done, and really reveals the singer's emotions and angst. Sounds excellent, you will go far!

NOT!

To be entirely serious, the intro riff to Bad Luck Ginger is beyond boring. You pretty much went down a minor scale in the At The Gates-plagiarizing pedal note style that seems so cool these days. And chugga-chugga breakdowns are nearly impossible to make sound interesting. Yours don't add to the song at all. Don't do them. The vocalist sounds like he's hurting himself a lot, which, unsurprisingly, doesn't sound good.

Good luck in your future, because this project doesn't seem to have much of one.
Quote by FrauVfromPoB
I'm gonna do this 90's style:

Your riffs are great, dude! Really inventive! The breakdowns are new and refreshing! The screaming is impeccably done, and really reveals the singer's emotions and angst. Sounds excellent, you will go far!

NOT!

To be entirely serious, the intro riff to Bad Luck Ginger is beyond boring. You pretty much went down a minor scale in the At The Gates-plagiarizing pedal note style that seems so cool these days. And chugga-chugga breakdowns are nearly impossible to make sound interesting. Yours don't add to the song at all. Don't do them. The vocalist sounds like he's hurting himself a lot, which, unsurprisingly, doesn't sound good.

Good luck in your future, because this project doesn't seem to have much of one.

I understand that you don't like the song. Thank you. The sarcasm, however, is not neccesary. Also, what At The Gates song is it from? I'm actually curious, because I've never listened to (or even heard of) At The Gates. Our vocalist is trying, but he hasn't been screaming long so it's meh. :/

Also, I would appreciate not being told that I cannot do something in my songs. Breakdowns are very hard to make interesting in the first place, I realize this. if you have a suggestion as to how to make them more interesting, please tell me. I'm not looking for people to basically shit on my band, but rather to say, "This is what is good, this is what is not, this is how you can improve upon it". I'd do the same for any other band here (as I do, in my review thread). Thank you for listening, but please, if you're just going to be an ass, don't post.
Quote by TMIMC_Staple
I understand that you don't like the song. Thank you. The sarcasm, however, is not neccesary. Also, what At The Gates song is it from? I'm actually curious, because I've never listened to (or even heard of) At The Gates. Our vocalist is trying, but he hasn't been screaming long so it's meh. :/

Also, I would appreciate not being told that I cannot do something in my songs. Breakdowns are very hard to make interesting in the first place, I realize this. if you have a suggestion as to how to make them more interesting, please tell me. I'm not looking for people to basically shit on my band, but rather to say, "This is what is good, this is what is not, this is how you can improve upon it". I'd do the same for any other band here (as I do, in my review thread). Thank you for listening, but please, if you're just going to be an ass, don't post.

Its not from a specific ATG song, its just that a lot of metalcore-type bands these days are heavily influenced by them, and they have pedal note riffs everywhere, like At The Gates did. Yours was just particularly uninteresting. The melody (the high notes as a unit, not counting the note you're bouncing off of) was more or less just traveling in a straight line down a scale. It wasn't even really a melody.

Sadly, I don't have any advice for your breakdowns. I don't try to write this kind of music, because I don't really like it, so I don't really know what makes a good breakdown. If anything, add something other than one-chord chugs. Maybe chug two chords. Add a little riffing or soloing here or there.

And I actually do have one good thing to say about it: It was reasonably well produced, for an amateur band. In terms of recording quality, it sounded quite good. I do however, stand by what I said before, even if I didn't say it in the most helpful of ways. I did seem to get you to understand what everyone else was saying though.

EDIT: I apologize, I listened again, and you did in fact chug on a different chord in the second time through the breakdown riff. But that's boring still. Change chords during the breakdown riff for better effect. Also, the other song, Nicotine, is pretty goofy, but not quite as bad as Bad Luck Ginger. Though I suspect Nicotine is the one that other guy was talking about when he said something about the lyrics and
Last edited by FrauVfromPoB at Jul 1, 2011,