I've heard some metal bands use the Locrian mode and Bizantine scale but none I listen to do, mostly just natural and harmonic minors and pentatonics.

Any suggestions of songs or albums to listen to? (please no death metal)
It's highly unlikely that almost any band is using the Locrian mode. It would likely be just a minor scale with some accidentals (the b2 and b5) thrown in. The only thing I could think of that could pass as Locrian is the introduction to Rush's "YYZ". The guitar and bass double a root-tritone riff in 5/4 time while the keyboard plays a four-note melody based off the Locrian intervals. The rest of the song is pretty interesting, but definitely not Locrian.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by InVainmetal
What about Black Metal?

Sure why not. I'm not really sure what bands are considered black metal but go ahead and suggest something. I lose track of all these categories, black metal, groove metal, grind metal, hell the other day I heard "math rock metal" and cracked up. It's all metal to me as long as it sounds good.
Wow, Double post. Akerfeldts good, but not the best ever. That being said, I don't know who the best "Ever" is, and I don't think we'll ever get an unbiased decision on one.

As for modes in general, not too many bands actually use modes as they are meant, and even then its more Phrygian/Lydian based, as it seems to me. I don't know about the Byzantine scale, so sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Byzantine is also known as the double harmonic minor scale yeah?

Anyways you are correct in thinking that metal is written almost exclusively in minor keys. As a result the scales used over them are minor scales with accidentals. Many people get distracted by fancy names like modes or byzantine, and don't know the actual function of the scales or what even these words imply.

Rest assured that once you have a firm grasp on major and minor scales, keys and harmonisation you'll be able to analyse, explain and apply theory to the music you enjoy listening to.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Wow, Double post. Akerfeldts good, but not the best ever. That being said, I don't know who the best "Ever" is, and I don't think we'll ever get an unbiased decision on one.

As for modes in general, not too many bands actually use modes as they are meant, and even then its more Phrygian/Lydian based, as it seems to me. I don't know about the Byzantine scale, so sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Akerfeldt is the "Best" Because not only can he hold his own in almost any genre of music, but he is THE Best Vocalist in Death metal Period Exclamation point, And a Great Lyricist
Quote by InVainmetal
Akerfeldt is the "Best" Because not only can he hold his own in almost any genre of music, but he is THE Best Vocalist in Death metal Period Exclamation point, And a Great Lyricist

there is no "best" in here (that is, the MT forum) because everyone likes different music and different aspects of music. so to you akerfeldt can be the best, but you're not going to convince everyone in here of that.
OPinions Are Like armpits Bud, Everyone has atleast 2 of them and they all stink..... but Akerfeldt Being THe best.... Its not that far of a strech he got a Feward for like Best composer of the 21st Centur or somthing like that
Quote by z4twenny
there is no "best" in here (that is, the MT forum) because everyone likes different music and different aspects of music. so to you akerfeldt can be the best, but you're not going to convince everyone in here of that.

I agree. There can be no best, because you cant logically compare two different genres. It just doesnt make sense.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by InVainmetal
OPinions Are Like armpits Bud, Everyone has atleast 2 of them and they all stink..... but Akerfeldt Being THe best.... Its not that far of a strech he got a Feward for like Best composer of the 21st Centur or somthing like that

maybe you should listen to other things than death metal. that's the problem with a lot of musicians (coughguitaristscough). they think metal is the only genre, and because of that, they only suffer for it. i don't know why so many guitarists are so against actually learning something about something they care so much about. like knowledge is some sort of plague.

if you're a troll, GG. if not, dude...well, you get it.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
You mean other Genres like idk Blues, or Jazz, or Clasic rock, Or folk rock, or funk, or spanish usic and eastern music........ yeah and opeth is nt just death metal Listen to Damnation and tell me thats deathmetal......
Quote by InVainmetal
You mean other Genres like idk Blues, or Jazz, or Clasic rock, Or folk rock, or funk, or spanish usic and eastern music........ yeah and opeth is nt just death metal Listen to Damnation and tell me thats deathmetal......

There's a whole world out there; take advantage of it!

And don't get too caught up in the sub-genre labeling thing. Metal is metal is metal is metal, just excuted differently.
Oh and by the way i like metal and enjoy playing it but Meal isnt fun unless its Progressive.... as in There are dynamics and melody to it, not BS diminished fith crap like deathcore and some new deathmetal, i like Versatility my fav Guitarist are Tom scholz (Boston) SRV, Akerfeldt, and Rusty cooley
Quote by InVainmetal

wow, you can name other genres. do you know anything about them? "eastern music." classic.

listen, you're not getting the message. we don't care who you think the best is. i can name better composers and better lyricists. johann sebastian bach. wolfgang amadeus mozart. franz schubert. aaron copland. the gershwin brothers. rodgers and hammerstein. stephen schwartz. the list goes on and on. and people aren't necessarily going to agree with me, either. get it? this is how the world works.

you said yourself that opinions are like armpits. go buy yourself some deodorant and come back.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by InVainmetal
Oh and by the way i like metal and enjoy playing it but Meal isnt fun unless its Progressive....

If you want progressive music, you've got to draw inspiration from as many sources as possible. Looks like you're into some older rock, too. That's a good start, but they are quite similar stylistically.

I like Scholz's organ work much more than his guitar, but then again, I'm partial to the Hammond anyway.
The majority of Opeth is Death metal, although the use acoustic segments and intros.

Check out these guitarists and tell us if you're opinion has changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGzdLeFtH1k - John Williams - Classical
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMh25zmyb7U - Christian Muenzner - Shred/Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8moxDI-80S4 - Ron Jarzombek - Insane Awesomeness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-RoSzsEKA - Tosin Abasi - Djent/Shred with some Jazz

Those are just a few, and those options are still fairly limited in variety, but those are a few of the "Best" players out there today. It would be redundant to name off everybody and link them, so... Yeah.