Well I plan on getting a Ibanez RG321MH guitar. But I found out that it has a Mahogany body. and a lot of people tell me that Mahogany tends to be very weak and dull.

Is this true? O.O

Thanks,
I've never heard anything like that about mahogany. I've heard that it has a warm full sound and is relatively heavy sounding. Mahogany is a definite plus in my book for any guitar
Quote by Nietsche
Don't drive. Stay in doors in a padded sterilised germ free room with a strait jacket eating vitamin pills at the appropriate intervals

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by cptcomet
Weird Kid: Do you play by ear?

Me: No, I play by hand.
no way man. mahogany sounds awesome, very thick and chunk. les pauls and many, many other guitars are made out of mahogany. for me, the only downside is that mahogany tends to be super HEAVY...
Quote by ironmaiden_98
I've never heard anything like that about mahogany. I've heard that it has a warm full sound and is relatively heavy sounding. Mahogany is a definite plus in my book for any guitar

+1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
a lot of people said this?

were you in a shecter factory?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Normally RGs aren't made of mahagony, but I'm not an Ibanez expert anyway, so whatever...
You know a lot of dumb people.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
By "a lot of people" you're telling us what you read somewhere online and believed until you found this guitar

Mahogany, when its a nice piece, is very full, deep, and most of the time very clear sounding.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
By "a lot of people" you're telling us what you read somewhere online and believed until you found this guitar

No, I was actually TOLD by many people.
Quote by MaddMann274

Well the people who told you are dirty dirty liars

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by MaddMann274

all of whom were fired by gibson recently?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Mahogany is a great wood for guitars, very warm and strong. Yes, it's dark but a nice pickup will combat that. If you have a look at the RGR321ex, that is basswood and I personally love it. I'm not sure if it's available everywhere, but it's black with a white binding and reverse headstock.
It's basswood, so it's a more neutral sounding wood, and you'll have a wider range of pickups you can use in it. Basswood is considered by some to be a lower grade wood, but it's used on most Ibanez guitars, especially the top end prestige ones. I'm assuming that you want to replace the pickup, excuse me if I'm wrong. As long as you don't have a mahogany neck as well as body, it'll be heavy sounding, but not muddy. I've had that problem with my Hellraiser as it's all mahogany.
Probably the best all-around wood for guitars, especially acoustics. Easy to work with, tight grain, fairly attractive, not too heavy, very unlikely to warp. If it's not your first wood choice for any guitar, it should be.
Quote by Sir applesauce
As long as you don't have a mahogany neck as well as body, it'll be heavy sounding, but not muddy. I've had that problem with my Hellraiser as it's all mahogany.

i doubt the reason your hellraiser sounds muddy (if that's what you were saying?) is because it's all mahogany. mahogany is very dark sounding, but shouldn't be muddy at all.

i find mahogany gives a guitar a very broad, full sound, with more of an upper-midrangey voice to the attack rather than a cutting treble sort of tone, which i personally think is a lot more pleasing at higher volumes because it doesn't sound shrill or piercing at all. i also think it's more appropriate for the instrument's range to have it cutting through the upper mid register rather than the treble register.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I meant for lower tunings. The combination of the mahogany body, and the low tuning makes it mud up a bit I've noticed. I tend to play Drop A and B with baritone strings.
If it had a maple neck I think it'd handle it a bit better.
It handles great in C and higher.
Doesn't matter now anyway as I've moved on to a Stephen Carpenter 607 Baritone.
It's mahogany wings with a maple thru neck.
Sounds amazing.
The point is Mahogany is awesome
mahogany, there's nothing wrong with it.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
Quote by Sir applesauce
I meant for lower tunings. The combination of the mahogany body, and the low tuning makes it mud up a bit I've noticed. I tend to play Drop A and B with baritone strings.
If it had a maple neck I think it'd handle it a bit better.
It handles great in C and higher.
Doesn't matter now anyway as I've moved on to a Stephen Carpenter 607 Baritone.
It's mahogany wings with a maple thru neck.
Sounds amazing.
The point is Mahogany is awesome

try playing in guitar keys and not bass registers!!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
try playing in guitar keys and not bass registers!!

Why would he want to do that?

Playing in the bass registers is fun.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I've found that straight up mahogany bodied guitars tend to sound slightly muddy and don't cut through very well. This prolly explains why they put bright pickups in those guitars, or why alot of manufactures put a flame maple or a maple top of some kind on top of the mahogany body to brighten it up a bit.

It's a great wood, just, not the best when you run it with dark pickups, a dark sounding amp, and lots of gain. In my opinion.
At that price you're not going ot be getting uality wood no matter what the species is. Mahogany is one of the best woods for guitars but species doesn't matter when you're looking at guitars that cost less than three hundred.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I've found that straight up mahogany bodied guitars tend to sound slightly muddy and don't cut through very well. This prolly explains why they put bright pickups in those guitars, or why alot of manufactures put a flame maple or a maple top of some kind on top of the mahogany body to brighten it up a bit.

It's a great wood, just, not the best when you run it with dark pickups, a dark sounding amp, and lots of gain. In my opinion.

Mahogany works great with high gain. But not so great with dark pickups and amp.
But that's why they are nearly always, at least in any decent retail guitar fitted with brighter pickups...

Seriously TS, who have you been talking to?
most Gibsons = mahogany
most ESPs = mahogany
most Caparisons = mahogany
most schecters = mahogany

Mahogany work brilliantly for most mid to high gain applications.
RIP Gooze

cats
Never heard of a Les Paul sounding dull. Warmer and maybe a little mellower than maple, alder, or ash yes. Definitely not dull.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
obviously the OP is confusing the wood with the fact that LP necks tend to break at the headstock which might make some believe that mahogany is weak.
Quote by monwobobbo
obviously the OP is confusing the wood with the fact that LP necks tend to break at the headstock which might make some believe that mahogany is weak.

Yep. the fault is not from the wood but the design. Gibson is too stubborn to do anything about it.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R