I've once again come to the experts, because I have no clue what I'm doing.

Ok so here's the situation. I bought my first guitar a little over a month ago. I didn't buy an amp because I thought I could get away with getting a USB interface and playing through my PC. I still use the Behringer, and it holds up decently (I use it with Guitar Rig). Lately I haven't been satisified with the sound quality. It's missing the feeling of "power".

I recently purchased an Digitech RP355 to mess around with to see if I liked the sound from it better. However I do not. It sounds, to me worse than what I can toy around with in Guitar Rig. With my headphones plugged straight into it, it sounds noisy (not in a good way), and the gain sounds very muffled and raspy. I'm kind of saddened because the thing isn't cheap, but I suppose I could return it.

I feel like what I'm missing is an amp (even if I only play with headphones, or record to my PC).

I was looking into getting the Line6 Spider IV 75. I guess I have a two part question. If I use this amp, would something like the RP355, or if I look into getting a Line6 expression pedal (like the FBV), be pointless, since the amp itself can already model a lot of sounds?

Also, if I were to use the amp setup, would I get that "amp" sound to go through the Behringer (or any other USB interface) to be able to record at least close to how it sounds coming out of the amp? I don't need any professional quality, I'm just a beginner.

AND how would I go about hooking it all up correctly?
Would it be: guitar>expression pedal> amp> behringer> (<headphones)>pc

Sorry for the essay, I just want to get the best sound I can
Quote by Backfat

Ok so here's the situation. I bought my first guitar a little over a month ago. I didn't buy an amp because I thought I could get away with getting a USB interface and playing through my PC. I still use the Behringer, and it holds up decently (I use it with Guitar Rig). Lately I haven't been satisified with the sound quality. It's missing the feeling of "power".

I recently purchased an Digitech RP355 to mess around with to see if I liked the sound from it better. However I do not. It sounds, to me worse than what I can toy around with in Guitar Rig. With my headphones plugged straight into it, it sounds noisy (not in a good way), and the gain sounds very muffled and raspy. I'm kind of saddened because the thing isn't cheap, but I suppose I could return it.

You probably should invest in a pair of decent monitors or studio headphones. But then again, you could just buy a nice amp for that money. However, playing with your guitar through your computer can give you as good (if not better) results as playing through any modelling amp out there. But if your running them for example through a cheap stereo, it won't sound as good as it could. Especially with headphones, if they're cheap.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Last edited by OrangeWalls at Jun 30, 2011,
when i 1st started i bought a rp90 and a pacifica i got the same kind of noise you got when using it with headphones so then i got a vt20+ and when i tried it with the rp90 the noise got worse, the rp90 is lying around and i only use the amp now.

but the above user is right you gotta provide that info so people can help.
Gear:
Yamaha pac012
Vox VT 20+
Budget? - $200-400

Genres? - Metal, Numetal, rock

New or Used? - Unsure

Home or Gig? - Home

Closest City? - Phoenix

Current Gear? - Epiphone SG Special, Behringer UCG-102, Digitech RP355.

I have good headphones - Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80s. They aren't monitoring cans, because I use them mostly for listening to music and movies.

Why is the Line6 not a good choice? They seems to have quite a large selection of user generated presets on their website, which I like.
Quote by Backfat
Budget? - $200-400

Genres? - Metal, Numetal, rock

New or Used? - Unsure

Home or Gig? - Home

Closest City? - Phoenix

Current Gear? - Epiphone SG Special, Behringer UCG-102, Digitech RP355.

I have good headphones - Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80s. They aren't monitoring cans, because I use them mostly for listening to music and movies.

Why is the Line6 not a good choice? They seems to have quite a large selection of user generated presets on their website, which I like.

A lot of folks here have a hard-on for the Line 6 amps, but I'm not one of them. They are fine for what they are, which is an inexpensive introduction to amplified DSP sound.
The FBV is just used to select presets on the amp. So if you buy the spider (which will get you flamed big time) you'll want it so you can go from a clean tone to an overdriven tone without having to reach down and mess with buttons on the front panel of the amp.

For metal, most people around here prefer the peavey vypyr. I had a spider III a while ago, and thought it was awesome when I forst got it... but it was only about 6 months before I started hearing the limitations of that amp, and was looking to upgrade.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
for a first amp the spider will work firne. many here hate on L6, but for a newbie It will be great. The only problem I have found with L6( I have owned 3 models) is they do not take external FX well. but for your budget you could get a VHT special 6 1x12 combo and use your digitech pedal. This will give you much better sound quality than the spider, and runs abou $380 with free shipping in the USA
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
for a first amp the spider will work firne. many here hate on L6, but for a newbie It will be great. The only problem I have found with L6( I have owned 3 models) is they do not take external FX well. but for your budget you could get a VHT special 6 1x12 combo and use your digitech pedal. This will give you much better sound quality than the spider, and runs abou $380 with free shipping in the USA

Must be like the Apple hate I see on the PC forums I frequent

Like I said I'm a noob to everything here, so I don't know the reasons why people don't like Line6. As I said, I don't need anything crazy.. I'm not going to be playing for anybody besides my own ears for quite some time.

I looked at the Peavey Vypyr (not that I know what I'm exactly looking at), I did like the fact that it has a USB out to connect to a PC.
Quote by Backfat
Must be like the Apple hate I see on the PC forums I frequent

Like I said I'm a noob to everything here, so I don't know the reasons why people don't like Line6. As I said, I don't need anything crazy.. I'm not going to be playing for anybody besides my own ears for quite some time.

I looked at the Peavey Vypyr (not that I know what I'm exactly looking at), I did like the fact that it has a USB out to connect to a PC.

You won't need the USB out unless you're doing recording (and even then, you'll need something to load speaker impulses with because it sounds SHIT without them. I know, I had one. Good amp, if a bit unreliable (froze up at inopportune times).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I would say you should look at a Vypyr as they are generally thought to be better than the Spiders.
Honestly any of the modeling amps will work fine some have better cleans/distortion but they all will get you started and experimenting with diff sounds.
People hate on them because they say they sound digital. No none of the modelers I have ever tried can exactly reproduce a specific amp. I honestly cant tell a big diff between any of the companys.
But like I stated the VHT special 6 with your RP will be much better than any of the low end modelers, and you will be less likely to "out grow" your amp so soon.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There is a Vypyr 75 on your craigslist for $200. I'll recommend that. I bought my Vypyr 60 (tubed version) for $315 used and I really like it. There is also a couple of Vox ADxxVTs on there you might like as well. Also check out that B52AT 212 tube amp. No effects built in just a strait up tube amp for $295.

Stay away from the Line 6 and Marshall amps in your price range.

Cath
There are way better high-gain amps than the Spider in that price range. I know from experience how bad they really are. I owned one for a few months. The Peaver Vypyr and Roland Cube amps are better modelers for the price range. And I second the B52 provided you want a 60 watt tube amp, which could blow up your eardrums in a home playing setting.