Hello everybody,

I have been playing for almost 2 years now and I already own an acoustic cheap guitar and an electro-acoustic ibanez tcm50e.
My question is what electric guitar should I buy for 400€-500€?
I normally check the prices in musicstore.com, so it would help if someone could help me based in there.

One more question, is Fender mustang III a good amp or is there any around the same price that's better? (The budget above is only for the guitar, I have more 300€ for a amp)

Details:
-Music taste: The Police, Sting (solo), Metallica, G'n'R, Pink floyd, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, The Corrs, Bon jovi, Alice in chains, Alanis Morissette, Paramore, Seal, Elton John, Bryan Adams, Paul Simon, Phill Collins, Sheryl Crow, R.E.M, Tori Amos, ...

Thank you for reading and thank you very much for your opinion!
The Mustang III is a good choice, it will probably be my next amp purchase. Some owners do have some issues with it though. Go to the Fender forums if you're concerned about it.

As for the guitar, there are many different options in this price range. I think a HSS strat would work for your music styles, but you might prefer different body shapes. What would you like to own?
I am not going to pay attention to that, but if there are diferrent types, I would like something like "Paula models".

But in the end, being a paula model or not, what matters is if it's a good and lasting guitar or if it's not.
I think you should have a look at this then: < Click here > < or here >

This should work well for you, and you don't have to worry about quality too much: one being a Fender and the Hägstrom a very good budget brand with excellent customer service. Now, I have to be honest: I don't know a lot about strats. I hope there's someone else on the board here that can help you out further.
Last edited by Minimum92 at Jul 1, 2011,
ESP LTD is a very good choice. It is the perfect metal guitar and it have really nice and clean tones.

Try it!
Try an Ibanez Darkstone.
Very Versatile, especially if you go for the model with humbuckers.
You might have to buy used though.
That's a bit out of my range. But do you think that with that guitar I can really play and trust for the next 5 or 6 years?
I like my mustang iii. To clarify, there were only problems with the first run of amps, not anymore.

For the guitar, I'd suggest a mid range Epi?? Just throwing it out there into the mix.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by CamelCloud

For the price of that amp I would prefer the mustang III becouse it has more power and it's prettier ^^
And about that guitar, it's cool but for that price I think that are better ones, like the one that was said above: Ibanez Darkstone(Ibanez DN520K).

Quote by JKHC
I like my mustang iii. To clarify, there were only problems with the first run of amps, not anymore.

For the guitar, I'd suggest a mid range Epi?? Just throwing it out there into the mix.

But what mide range Epiphone would you suggest me, I look at them and they all seem very similar but the prices are different.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge ...
Depends if you like the Digital modeling amp, or the crispyness of a tube amp, though. Tube amps are always a little bit more expensive because most of them are handwired and they give that crispy sound, when playing rock, and that nice, smooth clean sound when, for example, chilling with some jazz or blues. I personally don't like the Digital modeling amps because they sound too... Digital, I guess. All the preset stuff is digital, it's not a sound you've made by yourself using the different bass, treble knobs - etc.

But, yeah, it does have more power, but it doesn't seem that you're jamming - are you? 100 watt sitting in your living room will not often be cranked up to the max :P
Do you have any guitar stores near you? I would suggest you go there as soon as possible and just try as many different guitars as you want. You will like some better than others, and based on what you liked in the store, it is easier for us to give you the right advice.

Don't let others make you buy a tube amp by the way, the Fender Mustang III is easily the best value amp for the money. You will probably never turn it up at home, but neither will you turn a 5 watt tube amp up all the way and that won't give you anywhere near the versatility and features the Mustang III gives you. So it's really apples and oranges.

Nothing against tube amps, but the endless modeler and solid state bashing should really stop. They do have their purposes, especially for beginning guitarists.
Last edited by Minimum92 at Jul 2, 2011,
Quote by CamelCloud
Depends if you like the Digital modeling amp, or the crispyness of a tube amp, though. Tube amps are always a little bit more expensive because most of them are handwired and they give that crispy sound, when playing rock, and that nice, smooth clean sound when, for example, chilling with some jazz or blues. I personally don't like the Digital modeling amps because they sound too... Digital, I guess. All the preset stuff is digital, it's not a sound you've made by yourself using the different bass, treble knobs - etc.

But, yeah, it does have more power, but it doesn't seem that you're jamming - are you? 100 watt sitting in your living room will not often be cranked up to the max :P

Thank you for the observation,
Your are right, 100w is too much for a living room but if I want something to work both inside m,y house and for some gigs I have to have something with much more power that what I am going to use at home, but with enough power to use outside.

Quote by Minimum92
Do you have any guitar stores near you? I would suggest you go there as soon as possible and just try as many different guitars as you want. You will like some better than others, and based on what you liked in the store, it is easier for us to give you the right advice.

Don't let others make you buy a tube amp by the way, the Fender Mustang III is easily the best value amp for the money. You will probably never turn it up at home, but neither will you turn a 5 watt tube amp up all the way and that won't give you anywhere near the versatility and features the Mustang III gives you. So it's really apples and oranges.

Nothing against tube amps, but the endless modeler and solid state bashing should really stop. They do have their purposes, especially for beginning guitarists.

Thanks for the advices, I am going o check some guitars before I make my decision, but were I live there's only like 4 or 5 music shops and their products are limited so sometimes I have to search online and ask for their opinion becouse they are only going to order the guitar when they have the cash in their hands and for that it's better for me to look online and see what other people think or suggest (like I am doing here).
That's fine, but ultimately, you're going to want to know what kind of guitar suits you. You will find out what you like best over time, but only buying on the internet will probably be more time-consuming and can cost you a lot more if you don't like the guitar you bought. I was also looking at a lot of great guitars in my price range, but I have to be honest to myself and try before I buy. Otherwise I don't know what I'll end up with.

But hey, I'm just giving advice. It's up to you what you want to do with it. I don't mind it if you prefer buying online, this is what I would do when I'm going to buy my first guitar.
For guitar, get a Epiphone les paul standard
http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_lp_standard_plus_vsb.htm

if u dont want a pretty top and are fine with a plain black top, get this, it's a lot cheaper
http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_les_paul_standard.htm

for amp get a blackstar ht-5r
http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackstar_ht_5cr_combo.htm

or u can get the older version which is a bit cheaper, blackstar ht-5
http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackstar_ht5_combo.htm

though i suggest u get the ht-5r, the newer version
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Last edited by holycow at Jul 2, 2011,
After checking some guitars I found one that really suits me ^^
And I did more searching and found out that the sound of the mustang III wasn't really what I was looking for so I created this set(please give me your opinion):

-Epiphone Les Paul Ultra-II
-Marshall MG30FX
-MORLEY ABY, AB Y Switch A, B, A + B

Ps: thanks holycow for your advices (:
Last edited by AdamFaron at Jul 2, 2011,
The marshall MG have some serious reliability issues. Just pointing that out.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by AdamFaron
After checking some guitars I found one that really suits me ^^
And I did more searching and found out that the sound of the mustang III wasn't really what I was looking for so I created this set(please give me your opinion):

-Epiphone Les Paul Ultra-II
-Marshall MG30FX
-MORLEY ABY, AB Y Switch A, B, A + B

Ps: thanks holycow for your advices (:

DONT get the marshall mg. It's OK but u can do better for the price. Just cause it says Marshall doesn't mean it's good.

get a roland cube 40xl if u dont want to get the blackstar.
http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Roland-Cube-40-XL-Combo-/art-GIT0020117-000

For the Epiphone, just get the normal standard version if u dont really need/care about the ultra's extra features.

And why do u need a ABY switch. That's for switching between two amps, not for switching channels of one amp. Get a normal footswitch for that.
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
I was with a friend of mine in his house and he had a fender frontman 212r, and I liked the sound, is that a good amp?
Go a Roland Cube for sure amp wise. Guitarwise I'm knowledgable about metal more so I won't speculate.
Well and what about the Roland Micro Cube RX, isn't it better than the other for almost the same price?
I said it before, and I'm going to say it again: try before you buy. There's so much modeling stuff out there and not all of it is good. The Fender Mustang's, Vox VT+'s and Roland Cube XL's are some of the best and most versatile out there right now, but they all have their own quirks and issues.
Quote by AdamFaron
I was with a friend of mine in his house and he had a fender frontman 212r, and I liked the sound, is that a good amp?

The clean channel is OK at best. The overdrive channel is horrible. It sounds cold, buzzy and trebly. U might like it at first but as ur ears develop, u will hate it. The same goes for Marshall MGs and Line 6 Spiders.
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Quote by holycow
The clean channel is OK at best. The overdrive channel is horrible. It sounds cold, buzzy and trebly. U might like it at first but as ur ears develop, u will hate it. The same goes for Marshall MGs and Line 6 Spiders.

Thank you for the info,
I see that you have a roland microtube, what do you think about that one?