So a while back I bought an old 1970s analogue overdrive pedal on eBay. It doesn't work, but it only cost me about £6. I had it sitting around for ages and I've only just now taken it in for repair. Thing is, I've never heard of the pedal or even the brand and I can't find any details online of either!

It's a Petronics Overdrive, and you can see a pic here: http://files.effectsdatabase.com/gear/pics/petronics_overdrive_001.jpg

If anyone has any info I'd love to know!
looks kinda like a MRX clone? I have never heard of them before.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
To be honest, it looks like someone has just taken the chasis of an MXR pedal (probably the clone) and just redecorated it.. May well be MXR circuitry inside it as well, I wouldn't know :P
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Last edited by makutoid at Jun 30, 2011,
Yeah, it's similar in its design to MXR pedals but my local electronics guru whose a collector of rare pedals says he's not heard of it, but confirmed the components are 1970s era. Not sure if it's a pedal that was cloned at that time, but it seems unlikely. Also, the pic I posted isn't my pedal - It's the same model but a different unit, so obviously someone else out there has one!
Oh right, not a one off then..

Well, there are some companies around that era who set up manufacturing plants near other companies and essentially stole elements of their designs and then altered them slightly and sold at a lower price. Like Daphon made an overdrive pedal, the EO10D, which is an original case, but they stole the Tube Screamer chip and mass produced a cheaper version of the same thing, basically. Could easily be something like that
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
i would heavily suspect that petronics is a store brand, it was fairly common during the 70's for a larger music store to design equipment and send the specs to larger production companies to implement the design (usually japan).

the gut shot on discofreq's looks like it has british parts (and a clean design) so it looks like it was made in britain.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Cheers guys, all interesting theories. I'm from the UK, and bought it from a seller in the UK, so it would make sense that it was made here.

I'll let you know how it sounds!