What should I look for in the pickup when i buy a guitar considering that I will be learning to play Led Zeppelin, classic rock, but also some new stuff like The Shins, or MGMT?

I won't be able to spend a lot of money though. But any info on what sort of pickups I should look for would be great. Thanks!

PS: I logged in today after February 2007!
Original Message by Next Hendrix
You know you're a guitar player when your girlfriend says she got a new g-string and you ask " Is it nickel-wound or bronze phosphorous?"
Oh, i don't have anything.
You know you're a guitar player when your girlfriend says she got a new g-string and you ask " Is it nickel-wound or bronze phosphorous?"
Ok, starting over. Tell us your budget and the gear available to you in mumbai.
Quote by heyz
Oh, i don't have anything.

before you worry about replacing the pickups, shouldn't you actually get the amp and guitar first ?

On that note, you can get a decent epiphone for 400, with that you'll hit zeppelin tones.
You could also get a Marshall solid-state for 400 which would also be good for zeppelin.

Pickups? 57 classics work.
I don't think he means replacing the pickups, he's trying to find a guitar based on what pickups it has, which is likely a big mistake at a beginner level. Beyond "humbucker in the bridge," there are a lot more important things to consider.
Ah! Since the last time i logged into UG (2007) I have moved to new York. I could spend 300 - 500 bucks total. I shouldn't have focused on pickups in my first post (i don't know why i thought that was important). I would like an overall recommendation. Thanks.
Definately go used. Look into an SG style guitar with at least a humbucker in the bridge, and a small solid state amplifier, a marshall, peavey, fender etc, whatever you can find in your price range that isn't beat up. I'd recomend an amp with a 12in speaker.

What you end up with depends mostly on personal preference, try out a lot of different things and go with what feels most comfortable to you.

Good luck.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
i thought the vox pathfinder was a decent zep tone for $119 new.

that and a classic vibe tele would do the trick pretty well for cheap or a epi LP studio if you want buckers. $350 new on either guitar.

used opens up more options.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Thanks a lot everyone
I went to Guitar Center yesterday because I couldn't resist the temptation. I just wanted to look at things and had no intention to buy. This was my first time being at GC and I felt like a 5 year old in a candy store. For the first 30 to 40 minutes I just walked around looking at things too scared to touch anything or talk to anyone - beginner's embarrassment. Then I picked up the cheapest guitar I could find and plugged it into an amp. did a few of those. I was trying a Marshall tiny amp and it wouldn't work. So I asked one of the staff to check it out. He spent ten minutes cheking the powerboards and stuff. Eventually I said, well let me ask you a bigger question, "what guitar will you suggest to a beginner" and he said, what music are you into. Then i tried out an SG, a Les Paul style guitar a few others. Asked him what makes some guitars as cheap as 130 bucks. I told him that all I really cared about was the tone - it's got be nice classic rock, warmy, rounded tone. After about 2 hours there I settled on an Epiphone Les Paul 100. I know you guys suggested I go for the SG because it has better reach to lower frets - I liked an SG too. It was between the SG and the LP both at $250. The guy said you should get a guitar that makes you want to play - that is all that matters for a beginner. Honestly, i settled on the Epiphone Les Paul 100 (black) because I liked how it looked and felt in my hands. It looked very old and classic and bluesy. I was to get the Marshall 12v amp for 70 bucks. But when we were trying out amps we found a Fender Frontman 25 R on sale for $80. He said for just ten bucks more this would be a much better buy. So I took it. And it was a red amp. Who doesn't want a red amp?!

Sorry if I didn't take all of your advice. But let me know if you think I've made a good enough purchase or not. Total cost with cables, bag, extra strings, headphones (because otherwise my roommates will kill me), tax = $490

tl;dr

I bought:
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul 100 (black)
Amp: Fender Frontman 25R