I don't think you can plug headphones or an aux cable into an effects pedal. Thats what mfx units are for.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Jun 30, 2011,
^yeah, you can do that kurtless, you may wanna use that adapter linked below; boost, distortion and OD pedals have onboard preamps. you convert their mono output to a balanced output with that adapter then you have a signal sufficient for a headphone

Quote by thenewguy729
Hey guys, was wondering if any of these existed? If the title doesn't make since, here is a photo explaining what I meant

http://i.imgur.com/mvyBm.png

-If you know if any exist. Thank you very much!

there is plenty of stuff like this, but it is pretty murky as to what exactly you wanna use it for. but plugging headphones directly to the guitar jack will produce a VERY faint signal directly from the guitar that might not be sufficient for playback.

fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4912222303955541683&sa=X&ei=yPgMTrT2FIzVgAf56dzXDQ&ved=0CFIQ8gIwAw">fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4912222303955541683&sa=X&ei=yPgMTrT2FIzVgAf56dzXDQ&ved=0CFIQ8gIwAw">http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=1/4%22+mono+to+1/8%22+stereo&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4912222303955541683&sa=X&ei=yPgMTrT2FIzVgAf56dzXDQ&ved=0CFIQ8gIwAw

plenty of pedals support headphones as well (also batter powered amps support headphones.

what it is you want to do?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 30, 2011,
Well, bottom line I'm looking to get a good distortion pedal (for death metal preferably). I recently purchased a EG-1 traveler guitar, and it has an on board pocket amp with a headphone and aux in. I'm going to college soon and still want to play in the dorm, so I really like the headphone option, because I can be quiet. I use the headphones to play clean, and love it. But the distortion is terrible and sounds bad. So I'm trying to find gear that would allow me to get a good distortion, while using headphones.

I might have to pick up that adapter, and then just use the distortion pedal I already have. Would you recommend?

Thanks,
Kevin
i just tried the headphones direct from the pedal, it is just a little louder than the headphones directly from the guitar. so direct from pedal doesn't seem to be an option as kurtless did mention

Quote by thenewguy729
Well, bottom line I'm looking to get a good distortion pedal (for death metal preferably). I recently purchased a EG-1 traveler guitar, and it has an on board pocket amp with a headphone and aux in. I'm going to college soon and still want to play in the dorm, so I really like the headphone option, because I can be quiet. I use the headphones to play clean, and love it. But the distortion is terrible and sounds bad. So I'm trying to find gear that would allow me to get a good distortion, while using headphones.

for 'good' distortion you'll prob need some kinda cab emulator cuz most distortion just sounds like crap.

Quote by thenewguy729
I might have to pick up that adapter, and then just use the distortion pedal I already have. Would you recommend?

if the idea is to play in a dorm room with headphones, then maybe a cheap multi effects with cab emulation may be good. but if you want to go budget, i'd actually recommend plugging that thing directly into your computer. use that same adapter above with an 1/8" TRS patchcord (like the kind you use for an ipod). plug that directly into your computer and use something like guitar rig. that software will have effects and cabinet emulation and go a lot further for tone sculpting.

-ae
Considering its mono, i woulnt imagine both headphones working and it not sounding shite...

Vox amplug? I hear good things.

^I got very bad results from that, even if you have a computer with a soundcard good enough so you dont get loads of latency (granted you can get ASIO drivers seperate..) its no substitute for a proper interface with the right impedance for gutiar..
Last edited by beckyjc at Jun 30, 2011,
you can get a TR to TRS adapter for it to work.

i record my scratch tracks all the time using that setup with my native soundcard. works fine for me. not saying it's great, just that it works.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/all/play1017823

scratch tracks for one of my songs through my native sound card, midi drums, didn't compensate for latency at all.

-ae