So ill make this fast. First...I used search, there was nothing I saw that covered exactly what I want to know.

Ok so I've been playing on and off throughout my life. This latest time I finally have some cash to spend and some time to kill. I need to know the best amp I should be able to get for $250-$300. I've been playing my guitar unplugged for a few months now and if I wanted an acoustic I wouldst got one:-)

I've been told to get a 15w amp with reverb and/or overdrive. Its for practice but why bother going small. So where can I spend my hard earned cash the best. ATM I'm not worried about tube or ss. I just. Want to finally make some noise.

TL;DR. I need a good amp for 250-300. Mainly practice..bit buying for the future as well.
I'd go into a good combo amp, something that can give you a wide range of effects to play and experiment with. I started out with a Line 6 Spyder IV 75 Watt, and it gave me a great feel for what I was looking for and could use in playing. Its $300 I'm pretty sure, but you can probably find it cheaper. What I loved the most was that it had presets for popular songs, brings a lot of familiarity into the complicated world of guitar effects. People tend to rip on it, but only because they compare it to expensive tube amps or bare amps in the same price range. Its obviously not the real deal, but it gives you a great taste of whats out there. There are probably more amps like it in that price range as well. Hope that helped!
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jun 30, 2011,
What kind of sound are you going after? Are you more concerned with tone or versatility?

Do NOT get a Line 6 Spider.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
In that price range I'd suggest something Like the Peavey Vyper or Valveking combo. Also look into VOX AC30 I believe is in the pricerange(used). You definitely want a combo amp or get a basic amp and a Multi Fx pedal. Digitech Rp series comes to mind. Theres tons out there though, you should troll Craigslist and find a deal.
Quote by dopelope
In that price range I'd suggest something Like the Peavey Vyper or Valveking combo. Also look into VOX AC30 I believe is in the pricerange(used). You definitely want a combo amp or get a basic amp and a Multi Fx pedal. Digitech Rp series comes to mind. Theres tons out there though, you should troll Craigslist and find a deal.

Those go for over a grand.
Nice. Thanks. Bands that intrigue me would be tool, apc, a7x, nin, manson, 5fdp, all over the board.

Honestly I plan on using zzounds and their pay as you play payments:-)

I go back and forth from standard to drop d tuning, so something that can do both. I'm still a relative beginner so I don't need sokehing I'm going to get preoccupied with all the bells and whistles. Gotta be able t use headphones(most of the time...damn roomies.)

In the mean time ill check out the links.

Also why are some amps $300 and 100w and othhers are the same price but like 30w? Confused
Last edited by sheepdawg at Jun 30, 2011,
A Peavey Vypyr would do the trick. Read some reviews and if at all possible, play before you buy.

Wattage isn't the only factor in determining the cost of an amp. The 30-watter is probably better quality.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by sheepdawg
nin

The Peavy vypyr was the first thing that popped in my mind when I saw that lol
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Take your guitar to a store and plug it in to different Amps and find the one you like then buy it online for cheaper :-) . The amps above are all really good to. One of my first amps was a Kustom 30W and I played Tool/APC and NIN and got some great tone out of it for the songs I learn't. It also went pretty loud...
Quote by sheepdawg
Nice. Thanks. Bands that intrigue me would be tool, apc, a7x, nin, manson, 5fdp, all over the board.

Too many abbreviations!
Where's Waldo?
$300 is just enough to get into the market for Jet City 20 combos (JCA2112RC) and Blackstar HT-5s. Otherwise, the new Roland Cubes are pretty sweet. Stay away from Marshall MGs and Line6 Spiders--they're decent, but there are better options for the same price.
Last edited by Seref at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by chadreed32
Too many abbreviations!

Haha my bad. A perfect circle. Nine inch nails. Five finger death punch. Avenged sevenfold.

I really like that one mentioned above. Its a little cheaper which allows me to maybe splurge on some pickups or a sweet set of headphones. Any more recommendations and ill be sure to check them out.
Just figured I'd thank everyone for their help. The vypyr 75 comes tomorrow. I would review it but I would have no idea what I'm doing or should tell anyone.

PS sorry for the unintentional bump this will cause. Mods feel free to lock it up if you wish. Again thanks for all the replies.

Sheepdawg... Out
Epiphone LP100 (Ebony)
Peavey Vypyr 75