I just got a summer job, by the end of the summer I will get $1400 and enough to get either a Marshall DSL100 Halfstack or a Mesa Boogie Dual Recto

I play through a Jackson DKMG and a Gibson LP Studio (Donated to the poor = me)
I can go from Joe Satriani blues to Metallica and GnR

I have a few questions for each:
Will it be quiet enough for basement play without losing on tone and clarity?
Most versatile?
Best Quality for mic recording
Best pedal effects friendly
Overall quality
Strengths & Weaknesses

Anything would help lots
???
If you want to turn it up, you might want to look at a Single rec instead of a Dual, just an idea. Then you'd have more money for a cab.
no need for a half stack.

a combo is more then enough to be loud at a show and quite for practice.

if you plan on gigging a half stack is just more of a pain in the ass.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Either one of those will be quite loud. You can turn them down, but they ain't bedroom rigs by any stretch of the imagination.

The Rectifier is probably more versatile, and it can get a much heavier tone than the DSL if that's what you want. If what you are looking for is the "Marshall" sound, then go with the Marshall. Despite all the hate for Marshall on this forum, they are fine amps and there is a very good reason why a lot of pros use them. Mesa's Rectifier is still the standard for heavy, high gain stuff and they've recently redesigned the series; making it even better than before. Either amp will serve you well.

You pays your money and you makes your choice. Good luck and enjoy whatever you end up with.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by the_white_bunny

Well this depends. A combo is best for smaller gigs where you will be mic'ing. For larger gigs (aka where the audience is spread out) head+cab are superior for their ability to project sound over a larger area. 1 or 2 speakers in a combo sometimes won't cut it.

I have a few questions for each:
Will it be quiet enough for basement play without losing on tone and clarity?
Most versatile?
Best Quality for mic recording
Best pedal effects friendly
Overall quality
Strengths & Weaknesses

-You can't expect any 100 watt amp to fully retain its tone and clarity at low volumes. They're not designed to sound best while quiet.

-I feel like some people will fight me on this, but I think the DSL is the most versatile. My personal opinion is that the Mesa does better high gain and clean, but I absolutely hate Dual Rec's mid-gain. The DSL isn't as strong overall, but remains more consistent without having anything it fails terribly at.

-"Best for recording" is a kind of odd thing to quantify. I know that some people say Dual Recs are hard-ish to dial in right, but with a proper recording setup you do most of your EQing from the console anyway.

-Pedal friendly? Not a clue. Whichever has the best effects loop I suppose? I have a feeling the Mesa would win this one.
Quote by Seref
Well this depends. A combo is best for smaller gigs where you will be mic'ing. For larger gigs (aka where the audience is spread out) head+cab are superior for their ability to project sound over a larger area. 1 or 2 speakers in a combo sometimes won't cut it.

-You can't expect any 100 watt amp to fully retain its tone and clarity at low volumes. They're not designed to sound best while quiet.

-I feel like some people will fight me on this, but I think the DSL is the most versatile. My personal opinion is that the Mesa does better high gain and clean, but I absolutely hate Dual Rec's mid-gain. The DSL isn't as strong overall, but remains more consistent without having anything it fails terribly at.

-"Best for recording" is a kind of odd thing to quantify. I know that some people say Dual Recs are hard-ish to dial in right, but with a proper recording setup you do most of your EQing from the console anyway.

-Pedal friendly? Not a clue. Whichever has the best effects loop I suppose? I have a feeling the Mesa would win this one.

i should have stated your point about the gig size.
but most legit venues have a sound guy who mics your amp and there is no need for all the extra gear.

its for looks 90 percent of the time.

if he wanted a real rig he would go the rack mounted route.

and just to add i have a jcm 2000 dsl and its a bitchin amp.
but if you want the heavy gain its not for you.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Last edited by the_white_bunny at Jun 30, 2011,
It really comes down to what you like more Mesa and Marshall are totaly diff amps and sounds.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by the_white_bunny

I actually think that combos are a pita at gigs. A half stack raises the amp controls to a far more ergonomically convenient position. No bending over, everything is right there easy to get at.

TS: Those two amps are very different. Try both and decide for yourself. The Marshall is more versatile at everything except what the Mesa does. If you want chugga chugga, get the Mesa. Otherwise get the Marshall.
You may be better off with a Mesa Mark series instead of either. Go try them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 1, 2011,
Sounds like you'd be better off with the Marshall.

But take your main guitar, a couple of pedals and head to a store with both to A/B them together and decide what suits the sound in your head best.

Do you only have a tubescreamer? Or are you planning on getting modulation? How essential is having an effects loop or are you going to run everything through the front?

You should try out every possibility available and see what fits the bill.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
i'd say that anything would be good enough for basement playing, people wont hear shit if you're playing underground. maybe they might feel a little magnitude with the dual rec cranked to infinity.

out of those i'd certainly go for the marshall as it has the more british overdrive which guns uses.
but like slap-happy said take your gear to the store and try it out with both amps then decide for yourself.
Quote by Amaseng
If you want to turn it up, you might want to look at a Single rec instead of a Dual, just an idea. Then you'd have more money for a cab.

Theres pretty much no difference between a single and a dual volume wise
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Id listen to cathbard and check out mesas mark series.
You can score a mark iv used and still have some money to play with.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean