Whenever I hit the left pedal on my double pedal, the right side, where the beaters are, leans to the left. Its on a rug, so it doesn't slide, the whole thing just leans. I don't really know why it has these balance issues. Any thoughts on why its doing this, and how I could stop it? I've considered Velcro, but they way I play, that probably wouldn't last.
This may sound stupid, but are you sure you have the pedal attached to your bass drum properly? The main pedal shouldn't really move at all unless it's like just... resting on the floor or you have the smallest bass drum ever
Quote by Steve08
This may sound stupid, but are you sure you have the pedal attached to your bass drum properly? The main pedal shouldn't really move at all unless it's like just... resting on the floor or you have the smallest bass drum ever

Ah, neglected to mention that I'm rockin' an electronic kit, and thus my bass drum isn't a drum, but rather a rubber pad about as big around as the mouth of a coffee can, and there's nowhere to attach it to the spindly little stand.

EDIT: I just discovered a little ridge at the base of the stand that I might be able to attach it to. But if I do that, my beaters are going to reach up over the top of the pad and miss it completely. Short of sawing them down (which I don't trust myself to do properly), I don't think there's a way to change their length, so I don't really think that's my best option.
Last edited by FrauVfromPoB at Jul 1, 2011,
In that case, then maybe try to tape/weigh it down or something, but I mean, the pedal is supposed to be locked down on something, and if you can't, then...

Actually, couldn't you just shorten the beaters? There should be something on the pedal that you can loosen with a drum key, then you can slide the beater to the preferred height-- this is also how you'd go around changing them.
Pic of your bass pad and pedal?

On 99.9% of electric kits, there is a piece of metal on the frame of the bass pad to attach the pedal to.

And, on 99% of pedals, the beater length is adjustable, so I'd be very surprised if yours aren't.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
If you're on a carpet, install powerful velcro to the bottom of the pedals. That way the 'lurching' won't be as debilitating.
I figured it out. I can in fact attach it to that ridge, and I found a second set of things that I can loosen with a drum key that will let me push the beaters farther in than when I set it up the first time. I don't know whether I'm blind as a bat, or my new equipment is just weirdly designed, but none of these things were apparent when I looked the first time. Thanks for the help.
Awesome.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12