At band practice today I was playing my Epiphone SG G-400 1966 lt ed. and I guess I moved too far from the amp or was at an odd angle when I was singing but the nut for the input jack just broke off the top of the guitar completely. It looks like it was just glued on or something. This happened to a bassist who was in a band with me before and I think the jack went into his bass and he was able to get it to poke out by turning the bass upside down and then screw the nut back on it. I tried that with my guitar but it won't come out and it looks pretty damn loose.

I have a warranty for the guitar with Guitar Center but I just wanted to post here and check what the severity of the problem is and if I could fix it on my own.

Thanks.
Gretsch G5191
Line 6 MK II Tube Designed by Bogner
Take the jack plate off, or open up the control cavity on the back of the guitar, and poke the jack through and screw the jack back in place...is it really that hard to figure out?

I mean, I don't want to come off as a jerk, but it seems like kids these days can't figure out anything on their own anymore.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Take the jack plate off, or open up the control cavity on the back of the guitar, and poke the jack through and screw the jack back in place...is it really that hard to figure out?

I mean, I don't want to come off as a jerk, but it seems like kids these days can't figure out anything on their own anymore.

I figured I'd ask first instead of making it worse. Thanks.
Gretsch G5191
Quote by ethan_hanus

you cant just make a mean comment like that then add "i dont want to come off as a jerk" and make it not a mean comment. you could have just said the answer and left out the rest. forums are used to answer questions when people have them. people like you make people with questions not want to post in fear that they will be called stupid. asshole.
Quote by ethan_hanus

I know what you mean...
Quote by somebellguy
you cant just make a mean comment like that then add "i dont want to come off as a jerk" and make it not a mean comment. you could have just said the answer and left out the rest. forums are used to answer questions when people have them. people like you make people with questions not want to post in fear that they will be called stupid. asshole.

Sorry dude, not my fault high school didn't' teach kids critical thinking skills.

But I understand, better safe than sorry. TS, there is a ultimate guitar setup thread, or the ultimate wiring thread, that I believe goes over how to fix your problem, try referring to that thread for any more questions.
it happens to mine everyonce in awhile too...A angled jack helps with it too.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by somebellguy

Thanks, man.

And honestly, not to dwell on this because his comment really doesn't even deserve to be dignified, but "kids" like me are doing way more with music than people used to be able to do. Why wouldn't I go on Ultimate-Guitar which only takes a few minutes and post a thread asking a simple question instead of spending hours trying to figure it out myself especially when it could risk damaging the guitar? I already asked several friends who played guitar before coming here, and none of them were exactly sure what the problem was.

Bottom line, UG is a great resource and I decided to use it. Assuming I'm some kid that doesn't know anything about guitar is as reasonable as assuming you're an old fart who gets his kicks from posting shitty things on forums. So please don't assume I'm a stupid high school kid who knows nothing about guitar because I don't attempt to think I know who someone else on a forum is.

Thanks again to everyone who stood up and stand something, I really appreciate it!
Gretsch G5191
Last edited by ComeUndone at Jun 30, 2011,
Quote by ComeUndone
Thanks, man.

And honestly, not to dwell on this because his comment really doesn't even deserve to be dignified, but "kids" like me are doing way more with music than people used to be able to do. Why wouldn't I go on Ultimate-Guitar which only takes a few minutes and post a thread asking a simple question instead of spending hours trying to figure it out myself especially when it could risk damaging the guitar? I already asked several friends who played guitar before coming here, and none of them were exactly sure what the problem was.

Bottom line, UG is a great resource and I decided to use it. Assuming I'm some kid that doesn't know anything about guitar is as reasonable as assuming you're an old fart who gets his kicks from posting shitty things on forums. So please don't assume I'm a stupid high school kid who knows nothing about guitar because I don't attempt to think I know who someone else on a forum is.

Thanks again to everyone who stood up and stand something, I really appreciate it!

honestly, good for you going out for advice, cause how are you supposed to learn? everyones afreaid to ask questions, and they end up like the casual lemming you see everyday. but i gotta disagree with the guy about jumping into things head first like he said, cause my other guitarist in my band is like that, and his favorite guitar is like Frankenstein, and 2 of his pickups are busted. whereas my guitar is still good to go, and he has to juggle between two guitars for a certain sound one would have had if he didnt just start messigng wit hstuff
Last edited by Tsunami3000 at Jun 30, 2011,
Quote by somebellguy

Maybe next time he'll try and figure it out himself and learn a new skill. It is so simple, its stupid.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Sorry dude, not my fault high school didn't' teach kids critical thinking skills.

But I understand, better safe than sorry. TS, there is a ultimate guitar setup thread, or the ultimate wiring thread, that I believe goes over how to fix your problem, try referring to that thread for any more questions.

Even if the entire forum flames you I agree with your original post. No one seems capable of figuring anything out themselves these days...though you could have been a bit lighter on the kid. I work in IT and have to support a large number of people who don't even attempt to solve problems with purely logical solutions i.e. no need to be a technophile to understand it. They either don't care to make an attempt or just can't figure out where to start.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212