I've been playing acoustic for about six months and I already bought a good electric and a fender frontman 15g that i'm going to take back and exchange (it hisses when turned on.) what's a beginner amp that has good distortion and is able to function at bedroom-level volumes? I don't plan on playing in a band anytime soon and I live in an apartment with walls that aren't completely soundproof.
i also would like to carry my amp around, unless it's worth it to buy a big amp.
as for wattage, i'm not too sure. would a 15 watt amp with an 8 inch speaker be good enough to last me 2 years until i'm an intermediate player? or should i invest in a huge un-carryable amp just for the difference in sound? i have a good acoustic so i don't need good clean channels.

some amps i'm looking at: fender mustang, vox vt, vox pathfinder, roland cube, line 6 spider, peavey rage, peavey vypyr.

my budget is under 150 $ for a 15 watt 8 inch amp and under 250 $ for a 30 watt 10-12 inch amp.

i'm a total noob at electric btw
as for the kind of music i play, i'll mostly pay pop punk but i'm looking for a similar tone to the one paramore has. pretty good distortion but not too crunchy.
Either the Vox VT or the Peavey Vypyr from your list
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
15 to 20 watts.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
First off, avoid the Line 6. They are good beginner amps but the other options you mentioned are better. For distortion, I'd go with the vypyr or the mustang. Those IMO are the best for distortion. The VT+ is unbelievable at a medium gain setting. The mustang beats the rest at cleans. The roland.....is a little more well rounded than the others. Good at everything, best at none. I hate the pathfinder as much as any Line 6 Spider amp.

As for wattage, I'd say go for the 20/30/40 watt versions for those amps. The next level up from the basic. For the VT+, you could go with the 20 because it has a max output of 30 watts.

I'm a bit biased to the mustangs because I have one and went through the same process as you when buying it (I wasn't a beginner but yah).
WARNING: THE NEXT FEW SENTENCES ARE VERY VERY BIASED. The mustang iii has 100w, lcd screen, 100 fully customizable presets, 12" Celestion speaker (amazing), and comes with fuse software. That can be used to download more presets and receive software updates/features from fender. IT PWNS!!!!!!! Its $300 though, although if you buy from GC/Sam Ash etc. you could get a coupon (they have one every few days or so) to take 20-50 off (depending on coupon). /WARNING

Your best bets are the vypyr or the mustang. The VT+ is worth considering too.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
First off, avoid the Line 6. They are good beginner amps but the other options you mentioned are better. For distortion, I'd go with the vypyr or the mustang. Those IMO are the best for distortion. The VT+ is unbelievable at a medium gain setting. The mustang beats the rest at cleans. The roland.....is a little more well rounded than the others. Good at everything, best at none. I hate the pathfinder as much as any Line 6 Spider amp.

As for wattage, I'd say go for the 20/30/40 watt versions for those amps. The next level up from the basic. For the VT+, you could go with the 20 because it has a max output of 30 watts.

I'm a bit biased to the mustangs because I have one and went through the same process as you when buying it (I wasn't a beginner but yah).
WARNING: THE NEXT FEW SENTENCES ARE VERY VERY BIASED. The mustang iii has 100w, lcd screen, 100 fully customizable presets, 12" Celestion speaker (amazing), and comes with fuse software. That can be used to download more presets and receive software updates/features from fender. IT PWNS!!!!!!! Its $300 though, although if you buy from GC/Sam Ash etc. you could get a coupon (they have one every few days or so) to take 20-50 off (depending on coupon). /WARNING

Your best bets are the vypyr or the mustang. The VT+ is worth considering too.

What do you mean "unbelievable at a medium gain setting"?
Quote by jkim4007

Unbelievably good
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Any modeling amp will work, this Line 6 sucks is for the birds. Yes some modelers do certain things better than others, but none of them are great, no mater what company makes them. Line 6 just happened to be the first to put everything in an amp style package. I pesonaly think the vyper is a very good budget amp, but I don't think that it totaly kills L6. Fenders are the only modeling amps that I really don't care for. None of them will get that sound, that you are looking for, but they all come close. so make your decision based on what you like not what everyone tells you to like.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jkim4007

Unfortunately this is the wisdom of someone who knows jack about amps. NO MODELING amp is great, but they can sound pretty good.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Unfortunately this is the wisdom of someone who knows jack about amps. NO MODELING amp is great, but they can sound pretty good.

I was talking in relation to other modeling amps. Of course I would think a Vox VT sounds just as good as a Plexi....... .When I spent 2 hours at GC trying all the amps I mentioned, that is what I noted.

TS: ^^^ has a point. For that price, you can't get anything thats great. At best it can sound good but modeling amps don't capture the exact sound of those amps. Especially SS modeling amps. The tube modeling amps are better but are more expensive, maintenance etc. But thats probably not the best for a beginner.

Anyway, I recommend you listen to the amps and go with what you like best. Thats what everyone would recommend and is the best thing to do. Most beginners are afraid of going into guitar shops not knowing how to play, but most employees are used to that kind of stuff and will gladly demo the amps for you.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Jun 30, 2011,
I don't understand how Line 6 sells so many Spider amps when it seems that nobody on UG likes them.
im watching these reviews and im not seeing how the fender mustang could be good for metal.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
And I'm watching a review of the line 6 spider 4 and now I know why nobody on UG likes them. The effects stink and the amp models are worse than my rp355(not that the amp models on my rp355 are bad).
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by romeozdistress
im watching these reviews and im not seeing how the fender mustang could be good for metal.

The American 90's model and the Brit 70's are very good...IN RELATION TO OTHER MODELING AMPS IN THE SAME PRICE BRACKET.... I believe they are Mesa dual rec and marshall plexi respectively. The fuzz pedal is shit though.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
after watching these peavy vypyr reviews its like why the **** did i get the 15 cube? lol. im about to sell that in favor of the vypyr.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A