Alright everybody, just got paid and I finally have enough money to buy my first good guitar (RIP Fender Starcaster).

I'm gunning for a strat, five hundred USD and below because i eventually want to change the pups to my liking. (There are American strats for 600 on Craigslist but I dont want to waste my money on pups I might not keep). I still have to go to local music shops/Guitar centers and see what they have used but right now I think I have two choices

Fender Standard Strat HSS (lake placid blue, eventually tortoise pickguard )
$425

or this Fender Jap Strat 10 mins. from my house HERE
around $350 probs when valveking is seperated

Help me out!!!

I hear Jap strats are awesome, but I kinda want a newer instrument and I'll have to deal with checking it super throughly, blah blah, BUT I can actually test it

And I can't test the MIM strat cuz nobody will have the certain color in stock. And I hear quality control on MIM's are hit and miss

Rush is probs the heaviest stuff I'll evar play, running through a fender mustang 1

Thanks in advance
Quote by Duv

Oh, and for resonance . . . smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
Buy the VK112. If it still has the stock power tubes, replace them and start making some sweet music. I have a VK112 sitting right next to $2k and $3k amps and it gets as much play as they do. The secret is the new power tubes.
Quote by supersac
if i where you id take the jap strat AND the valveking
i doubt youd get a deal like that elsewhere

Second the motion, even though I'm not a huge Peavey fan. Japanese strats--especially ones from the 80s--have a sterling reputation. And yes, MIM quality control is very hit-or-miss. If you don't play it yourself, I wouldn't leave it up to chance unless the vendor is really cool about returns.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
I'd go with a MIM standard. I've played many fantastic ones, and only a few poor ones. Most finish issues can be fixed with a simple setup. Pick up an HSS one (if you want the humbucker), play it for a while, and then swap the pups out with something a bit more dynamic.

I like the feel of the MIM's, but the pickups lack a bit for me. However I'm comparing to Fender CS pickups, so thats to be expected.

If you can find a good MIA standard, do it. They are much better, but pricey.
Ugh still totally torn.
Anyone else?
Quote by Duv

Oh, and for resonance . . . smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
Quote by hawk5211
I'd go with a MIM standard. I've played many fantastic ones, and only a few poor ones. Most finish issues can be fixed with a simple setup. Pick up an HSS one (if you want the humbucker), play it for a while, and then swap the pups out with something a bit more dynamic.

I like the feel of the MIM's, but the pickups lack a bit for me. However I'm comparing to Fender CS pickups, so thats to be expected.

If you can find a good MIA standard, do it. They are much better, but pricey.

What is a finish issue? Just like action, intonation and such?
Quote by Duv

I'd go down to that person's house and play the jap strat through the valveking. If it sounds and feels right jump on it cuz that's a pretty slick deal. If you aren't on board with that go to a guitar center and play some mexi strats til you find a good one since quality control on those is kinda iffy.

Another thought would be a used lonestar strat. I bought mine brand new, but it's still the greatest feeling axe i've ever owned. The pups in it are all pretty high end so your swap may not be necessary and they have enough juice to play anything from Johnny Cash to Van Halen, so it's definitely within your realm of desired capability.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I was thinking about the lonestar but I really want to give myself some time before I decide on highend pickups (the texas specials and pearly gates in the Lonestar). Plus, I really dont like the finishes
Quote by Duv

Quote by hawk5211
Most finish issues can be fixed with a simple setup.

Are you ****ing kidding me? Is this some strange new usage of the word "finish" I'm not familiar with because "Finish issues" are like the single hardest part of a guitar to fix, that can be fixed. You have to sand off the old finish, re-prime it, re paint it and re-lacquer it. That doesn't sound like a simple setup to me.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by agubics12
I was thinking about the lonestar but I really want to give myself some time before I decide on highend pickups (the texas specials and pearly gates in the Lonestar). Plus, I really dont like the finishes

I can understand that you may not like the finish on it, but that should really be one of the last things you look into before buying a guitar. I have no control over your decision but I very very strongly encourage you to at least pick one up and play it for a while, along with pretty much every other strat in your price range until you find the one that sounds and feels right.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I'd say look around or a MiM strat that feels right, but that MiJ strat may be better. Japanese guitars are pretty good, imo. I haven't played a japanese strat though.
Honestly, I'd spring for one of the used American Strats. The pickups are gonna sound loads better than what you're used to and they're solid pickups all around. Besides, for the extra cash you're getting American made quality and top-notch hardware vs. the dodgy quality of the MIM Strats. And at the end of the day you have an American Strat. This really wouldn't be a decision for me as it's a no-brainer...
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I heard that most MIJ Strats aren't alder. They're basswood. It's not worse but different. It will have different tonal qualities than an alder Strat and it might not be what you're looking for. You should definitely try it out before you buy. But the MIA is the best buy.
Quote by repairmanjack
I can understand that you may not like the finish on it, but that should really be one of the last things you look into before buying a guitar. I have no control over your decision but I very very strongly encourage you to at least pick one up and play it for a while, along with pretty much every other strat in your price range until you find the one that sounds and feels right.

Hahahaha well those lonestar strats are gorgeous, but they dont look good with me. Idk, I'm gunning for a blue one.

I decided to drop the jap strat from consideration.

My two current choices are an FSR HH Daphane Blue Strat (mim) at my local GC. Basically a blacktop but two standrad fender buckers as opposed to "hot vintage" buckers. The only single coil sounds that i want are in the special five way switching so its all good
$350

And this American HSS strat for $600 OBO (Offer 525, then 550 if still available, right?)
Linksaucy

That fsr leaves me a lot of room to upgrade with sweet pups for almost 500

Whadya think? (Still gotta tryem both)
Quote by Duv

A trick that I learned from Carl Verheyen, with Fender guitars, pluck the B string, then feel the lower bout of the guitar near the input jack.. If you feel any wiggle/vibration then you gotta good resonant strat. When I do this on my old MIM i barely felt any at all, but w/ my US standard I really felt alot of wiggle... (maybe my MIMs a dud idk, prolly the thick poly finish)

So now any time im in a music store or something, Its a good quick way to see how resonant a Fender guitar is..

Just a quick tip for ya
^Alright cool man. I was wondering what a "dud" mim might sound like cuz hey pretty much anything is gonna be better than my starcaster
Quote by Duv