With my E and B I always bend upwards towards me, and that technique I have no problem practicing.

When it comes to my G string and below, I always bend downwards. At first I thought I had an awesome vibrato but then I discovered it was just a really nice narrow bend.
I whipped out my tuner and metronome, only to find that bending downwards is very very difficult just to get a half tone out. I can do whole tone almost no problem when bending upwards, but when I'm bending downwards it's nearly impossible.

Is this common? Maybe my strings are a bit too tight (I use 10 gauge), but I don't want to pussy out just quite yet and drop to 9's, because it might not even help.
Could I be pressing too hard and thus making it hurt like hell to bend downward? Could there be any limitations you can think of that I might be doing wrong to cause this excess pain? I try and do everything with minimal pressure, and it seems this is the only time on guitar where I just don't have the strength in my wrist to pull downwards without making my fingertips sore as hell to the point where I physically lose the ability to do anything but like an 1/8 to a 1/4th step bend.
: )
I think you need to play with more pressure, .010's are not hard to bend at all, in either direction. Build your callouses and hand strength, and it should become easier.

I typically bend the B and e string up because if I bend down I go off the fret board.
The lower pitch strings dont change pitch nearly as much for the same distance bent. dont know why.
Quote by Charley2715
The lower pitch strings dont change pitch nearly as much for the same distance bent. dont know why.

dont you mean the other way arround?

try slightly yurning tne tuning peg of your low E, then high E by the same amount.
Low E could already be another note while high one slightly out of tune
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by hr113
dont you mean the other way arround?

try slightly yurning tne tuning peg of your low E, then high E by the same amount.
Low E could already be another note while high one slightly out of tune

there are other factors involved. The thickness of the string and the number of wraps it has around the tuning peg will effect the amount of string pulled/released.