Hello guys I was wondering what you guys think of the early 80's Squiers. A local music shop is selling an 81 Jazz for around $200 US. So are they better then the Classic Vibe and Vintage Mod series.

Thank you
Depends really. You've just got to play it and figure that out yourself. That being said MIJ, MIA and MIM Squiers are highly regarded and sought after. As well as some Korean ones.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
IIRC, if its early 80's its MIJ. Like consecutive said, early Squiers are highly regarded, and their fit and finish usually outstrips what Squier's putting out these days. If you like it and its in good condition, it'd be a good buy.

Just check it out for yourself, it's a 30 year old bass so you should give it a thorough checking. Also make sure to check the serial number, MIJ Squiers from '82-'84 should have a serial number with a "JV" or "SQ" followed by 5 numbers. Later Japanese Squiers from the mid to late 80's should have an E, A, B, C, F, G, H, or I followed by 6 numbers.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Thank you so much for that info Tostitos I'll make sure to check the serial number when I go to check it out. Maybe they will lower the price.
No problem. If you buy it make sure to post pics!
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Radtastic89
Hello guys I was wondering what you guys think of the early 80's Squiers. A local music shop is selling an 81 Jazz for around $200 US. So are they better then the Classic Vibe and Vintage Mod series.

Thank you

80s (i.e. Japanese Vintage) Squiers run for about £400 here, I think that's about $600. Obviously you should make sure you like the bass before you buy it but there might be a good investment here.
Well the Jazz is MIK and the serial number is E1022592. It played alright but its not a Japanese bass so I think I might bass on it.
E serial should mean MIA...
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
E serial should mean MIA...

The MIA's were transitional and were only in production for less then a year. During the late 80's when production shifted to Korea things got mixed up, and so there are MIK Squier's with "E" serial numbers.

EDIT: Its confusing with Korean Squiers because they've used so many prefixes for so many factories over the years, and even different serial prefixes for the same factory.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jul 2, 2011,
Come to think of it anyway, an '81 Jazz shouldn't be Korean. It should be Japanese.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
An '81 Jazz shouldn't exist.

Fender Japan didn't release its first models (Strats and Precisions for the Japanese market only) until May of '82. Then came the Fender Squier series (big Fender logo w/ little Squier label, for export). Instruments with a proper Squier logo on the headstock didn't appear until late '82.

EDIT: the shop most likely messed up in identification. If its an MIK with an E1 serial number then its from the late 80's/early 90's.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jul 2, 2011,
Parts produced in 81 maybe? Did they use USA parts for the first lot? Ah I dunno, I don't care.

Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB