Page 1 of 2
Some of my biggest pet peeves are:

Beginners/Intermediate players who try and learn a song at top speed without slowing down and then make the worst mistakes and hope that trying again at the same speed is gonna make it better

People who mistake classical guitars with acoustics.

Child prodigies that are just PRO at guitar but have NO emotion or passion in their playing.

Tone deaf guitarists (nuff said)

Guitarists who stay with one style and refuse to try new ones.

That's all I can think of for now, so what are some of YOUR biggest pet peeves?
People posting the same thread multiple times
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
i hate it when people hold their picks wierd. it really bothers me. also when someone tunes and it not QUITE right but they dont fix it. and people who ONLY want to jam and not actually spend the time to make a decent song
My sig? Nice.
Quote by pigeonmafia
People posting the same thread multiple times

ok you caught mee
Quote by BurningTurkey
i hate it when people hold their picks wierd. it really bothers me. also when someone tunes and it not QUITE right but they dont fix it. and people who ONLY want to jam and not actually spend the time to make a decent song

Yeah I hate it when I want to jam with friends but all they do is just play their own shit without listening to the "plan"
People who play classical pieces on electric guitar with horrible tone, gain on 11 and add double bass/blast beats to it.

Blues elitists who say blues is the most emotional genre of music.

Jazz Elitists

People who only listen to metal

People who are technically proficient but have horrible vibrato.

People who say they listen to classical music, then you ask them what their favorite piece is and they say something like Beethovens 9th symphony, or fur elise. There's so much more out there.

Film scores without any real melodic material, instead just picking 2 chords for a climatic sequence and building 'tension' texturally with a crescendo. To me it sounds corny and overused in today's films.

Rusty Cooley + similar guitarists. He's proven he can play very well (there used to be a video of him playing epilogue for lisa but I can't find it) but instead seems more interested in playing stupidly fast.

Using graphic notation on it's own as a means of notating a piece.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by Dig_a_Pony
Yeah I hate it when I want to jam with friends but all they do is just play their own shit without listening to the "plan"

Amen to that, every time I jam it turns into one up each other with the riffs you know.
A classical guitar is an acoustic guitar.

Back when I was trying to get bands together, it used to really bother me if I wrote a riff with a triplet feel and the other guitarist could only play it with straight feel. It bothered me even more when they would try to defend themselves by saying "it sounds better this way."
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by griffRG7321

I don't know, I think this could end up being a really precise means of notating music, but your right, without explanation it just ends up confusing the hell out of a performer.
Quote by griffRG7321
People who play classical pieces on electric guitar with horrible tone, gain on 11 and add double bass/blast beats to it.

People who say they listen to classical music, then you ask them what their favorite piece is and they say something like Beethovens 9th symphony, or fur elise. There's so much more out there.

Film scores without any real melodic material, instead just picking 2 chords for a climatic sequence and building 'tension' texturally with a crescendo. To me it sounds corny and overused in today's films.

1. Sometimes it is irritating, but at least classical music is getting some exposure from it.

2. What if their favourite piece genuinely is Beethovens 9th or Fur Elise?

3. I sort of agree, but most film composers get given very little time, not to mention directors getting attached to the temp.

4. No love for Ligeti?
Quote by nmitchell076
I don't know, I think this could end up being a really precise means of notating music, but your right, without explanation it just ends up confusing the hell out of a performer.

Yeah, some modern notation methods are quite precise, others however, even with explanations, are too varied in performance, which begs the question of who the actual author of the piece is, the performer or composer.

Quote by Jesse Clarkson
2. What if their favourite piece genuinely is Beethovens 9th or Fur Elise?

Fair enough, but when you ask them about any other works and they can't name any, that's annoying, it's like they're saying they listen to classical to seem cool/superior/they have a more varied music taste than they actually do.

Quote by Jesse Clarkson
3. I sort of agree, but most film composers get given very little time, not to mention directors getting attached to the temp.

All film composers have very tight schedules. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIRvKUXU0kI&feature=related From 2:20 on sums up my point.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jul 1, 2011,
People who complain about what other people do that is annoying.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by Sean0913
Big Ego's on guitarists. Its a very small thing to feel big over.

Best,

Sean

Thank...YOU!

There is nothing smaller than a person who feels the need to be/know better than others for the sake of being better than them. There's something to learn from everyone.

The best musicians to be around are always the most humble.
Quote by Dig_a_Pony

Beginners/Intermediate players who try and learn a song at top speed without slowing down and then make the worst mistakes and hope that trying again at the same speed is gonna make it better

People who mistake classical guitars with acoustics.

Child prodigies that are just PRO at guitar but have NO emotion or passion in their playing.

Tone deaf guitarists (nuff said)

Guitarists who stay with one style and refuse to try new ones.

That's all I can think of for now, so what are some of YOUR biggest pet peeves?

Focusing on things you can't do anything about when you could be playing guitar.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Dig_a_Pony

I don't like band images much. I don't like bands that dress to be in a genre, I think its stupid. I also don't like singers who fake accents.
Quote by ElConky
I don't like band images much. I don't like bands that dress to be in a genre, I think its stupid. I also don't like singers who fake accents.

Although it can be taken to an extreme, I do enjoy a band that has at least some sort of uniform. They don't have to be exactly the same, but I think if done right, it can add to the show in some ways.

For example, I saw Black Joe Lewis at Bonnaroo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyRI6kMltms

As you can see, all dressed in classy, plain white shirts. This worked for them since the leader was a black guy, and the plain-ness of their "uniform" allowed the skin-color differences to be plainly obvious, whereas if they were all wearing their own thing, it might have obscured who the lead was during the instrumental breaks, especially in a festival setting where people who didn't know the band or their name might just be walking by or chancing upon their set without knowing anything about them.

As I said, it has to be done correctly to convince me, but I don't think its inherently something bad. Just my opinion though.
Singers who get drunk during practice...

People who take a highly emotional piece and shred the hell out of it...ever hear Vai do Little Wing? Ugh...

Guitarists who think Les Pauls are superior to everything on the planet...

Guitarists who think you have to pay nearly a grand to get a decent guitar (my $100 Kona sounds better than a lot of name brand acoustics I've tried)...

People who aren't willing to try other instruments...

YouTube comments on kids posting their first video...well, YouTube comments in general tend to piss me off. The world really is full of morons...
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Rocktron Metal Planet Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Quote by AlphaBlackheart

Guitarists who think you have to pay nearly a grand to get a decent guitar (my $100 Kona sounds better than a lot of name brand acoustics I've tried)...

while tone varies from guitar to guitar and person to person i've not heard a whole lot of $100 guitars that i thought "man we could just stick a couple of mic's in front of that and it'll sound awesome" though for the record i have heard a couple lower end guitars that had a pretty good tone when you considered the price vs quality.

my pet peeve is the one i've made others endure which is me saying "nuh uh i know best" when i really didn't. i'm glad i "humbled" myself enough (or stopped being an a$$ if you wanna look at it like that) to take advice from others who knew better than me though "whaddya mean i gotta cut off the low end of the guitars? how's it gonna chug?" or "start on an upstroke? dude my hands can't do that that it doesn't seem efficient" or "turn down the input to cut out clipping? but then it's not loud enough for the recording!!! huh? turn down the rest of the recording!?!?! are you MAD!?!?!?!" are some of my favorite moments to laugh at when i look back.
Last edited by z4twenny at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by z4twenny
while tone varies from guitar to guitar and person to person i've not heard a whole lot of $100 guitars that i thought "man we could just stick a couple of mic's in front of that and it'll sound awesome" though for the record i have heard a couple lower end guitars that had a pretty good tone when you considered the price vs quality.

It may not sound that great in front of a mic...but it sounds pretty damn good in a large room with an echo, or on my front porch, or my grandmother's patio playing along with my uncle's dobro, or in the empty bedroom in my home.

Not everyone has/is trying to get a record. Some of us see quality in the simple sound that reverberates from the wood, without 3 band eqs and a pedalboard that would cover a truck bed.

Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Quote by AlphaBlackheart

People who take a highly emotional piece and shred the hell out of it...ever hear Vai do Little Wing? Ugh...

YouTube comments on kids posting their first video...well, YouTube comments in general tend to piss me off. The world really is full of morons...

Yeah the youtube comments are really ****ing terrible. Way to utterly destroy a person's passion for music, dicks.
^ alphablackheart - remember "good" is relative to the individuals. i hear quality in basic unadulterated sound as well, but what i consider good would be different than what you consider good. it doesn't make either of us wrong
Last edited by z4twenny at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by z4twenny
^ alphablackheart - remember "good" is relative to the individuals. i hear quality in basic unadulterated sound as well, but what i consider good would be different than what you consider good. it doesn't make either of us wrong

Not saying either of us is wrong. It kind of surprises me...I've gotten many compliments on it's tone and I'm quite proud of my pawn shop special. I suppose it all boils down to a person's needs. I can make my squire sound $300 better than what it originally did with a little reverb, some thick strings, and tinkering with the eq...but I'd never expect it to compete with a full-blown fender. It plays just as well, in my experience, but it doesn't have the draw to be put on stage. Of course, electrics are only as good as their pickups...acoustics are a completely different story.

But anyway, I've hijacked this thread far enough.

[on topic]

People who only listen to one or two genres of music.....especially when it's pop/rap. Nothing is more insulting than hearing a digitally enhanced voice and a synth pad. That is neither talent nor skill. Hell, I can do a rap beat on electronic drums and I've sat behind a drum set for less than 30 minutes over the course of 24 years.
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Quote by AlphaBlackheart
Hell, I can do a rap beat on electronic drums and I've sat behind a drum set for less than 30 minutes over the course of 24 years.

A good rap groove is generally more technically proficient than a standard rock beat (unless you're dealing with Neil Peart, Keith Moon or Ginger Baker, among others.) Rock drumming seems more impressive due to the quick fills they love to throw in, but many rap beats have a good degree of syncopation to them. Furthermore, anything synthesized still has to be played or composed, it doesn't just come out of nowhere, ya know. But, I will admit that the repetitive nature of the genre's music does get on my nerves.

Nothing personal, just defending a genre.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by AlphaBlackheart

Les Pauls are well-made and qualify as being contestants for one of the best guitars.
A $100 acoustic guitar does not sound good. Get over yourself.
Maybe people don't want to play other instruments, it's their choice.

I'm sorry, I'm being hypocritical of your intolerance towards opinions, since I just criticized all of your opinions. There was something about your post that really got to me though.
Quote by SonOfPest
Yeah the youtube comments are really ****ing terrible. Way to utterly destroy a person's passion for music, dicks.

this. i watch some horrilbe bands on youtube but i never comment douche stuff on them because hey, at least they're trying.
My sig? Nice.
Quote by kashmir0109
Les Pauls are well-made and qualify as being contestants for one of the best guitars.

Overpriced.

This is objective.

I'll update with things that annoy me when I can remember them
*Guitarists who play 10x louder than anything else in the room and get so absorbed in their own playing that they don't notice that the band has changed keys on him, and they get to the end of their out-of-key-make-your-ears-bleed-gawd-I'm-better-than-Hendrix wank fest and say, "that was great! Why'd you stop?"

(no, I'm not making that up....)

*Arrogance.

*Roadhouse Blues, Knockin' on Heaven's Door, and Sweet Home Alabama

*when you're playing a gig... those people in the other bands who you're sharing the gig with who can't be arsed to make the effort to actually *see* the other bands they're playing with.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by kashmir0109
Maybe people don't want to play other instruments, it's their choice.

I'm sorry, I'm being hypocritical of your intolerance towards opinions, since I just criticized all of your opinions. There was something about your post that really got to me though.

I never said Les Pauls weren't quality guitars. I agree they are possibly one of the best....just not THE best. There is no THE best.

As for $100 acoustic guitars not sounding good...you think maybe it isn't just the guitar that makes the sound? I'll just leave it at that...you'll catch my drift eventually.

Yes, it is their choice, but I'm not one to simply settle for what I know so far.

And I'm glad to know that I could piss at least one person off today...
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
People who do horrible covers of songs and actually post it up on youtube. Especially when they change the original tempo of the song faster or slower to make it easier to play with the most basic a$$ chords.
Quote by Zen Skin
Kids who want to play fast and not learn music -- and all the awful bands that cater to them.

tru dat
people who seem to think technical ability/speed somehow makes you not have as much emotional input (which is most guitarists). you cant guage how much emotion someone plays with, only the amount of emotion you feel when you listen. notes dont contain emotion as they are just sounds.

also OP, a classical guitar IS an acoustic guitar. its just a different kind of one.

and who cares if people hold their pick different?

people who use WAY to much high end in their tone. MIDRANGE is what cuts you through the mix, not high end. also you tend to need less high end the louder you go.

also about the 100 buck guitar, i highly doubt it sounds that great. now, ive played some $200 guitars that sounded awesome, but not 100. i played a $200 epiphone the other day and it had such a big, full sound and had great projection. i was really surprised. i have another guitar that was $185 or so and it sounds pretty nice too. but cheap guitars dont usually last or age well. a well built acoustic gets better with age and usually have better playability. on the other hand, as with anything, ive played $3000 acoustics that really didnt sound or play much better than some $500 ones. but tone and playability are pretty subjective.
Didnt the person who said his guitar was $100 also say he bought it used?

On topic:
My pet peeve is.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... when "elitists" look down on people asking them basic questions... Cmon guys, at least they are trying to learn...
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Overpriced.

This is objective.

I'll update with things that annoy me when I can remember them

Well, I'll add the kudos for Kona's, I've been recommending the K-2 to guitarists on a budget for 6 years now.

I'll add that I have seen a decline in the quality and setup over the last 6 months, and it's a shame, but I notice that's the trend in general. Now I cannot reccomend them as a "sure win" anymore, but they bucked the trend towards chaos for a long time. But sadly some things change.

If you can find an old one from 2006-2009, chances are it's gonna be great. I used to have my own set up guy in Ft Worth, set them to my specs, but he's not there anymore...game over.

Every year the powers that be will look at ways to make things cheaper, and at some point you reach a place where the quality suffers. Kona was my sleeper pick for years. I didn't recommend any other Kona's but the K2...and now with my last inspections (which I sent back rejected, because they didn't meet my standards), I'm afraid their best days are well behind them, and it's a shame.

Best,

Sean
Quote by AlphaBlackheart

Yeah, because emotion and shred and mutually exclusive, right?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Trying to jam with another guitarist who can only last a few minutes at most before stopping everything and saying "Hey..check out this riff I know"
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by vampirelazarus

On topic:
My pet peeve is.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... when "elitists" look down on people asking them basic questions... Cmon guys, at least they are trying to learn...

Sometimes they aren't actually trying to learn - that is my pet peeve.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Overpriced.

Considering where the market is for guitars .. and the cost of manufacturing instruments in the US against Chinese imports .... Gibson Les Paul is pretty reasonable.

Taylor, Martin and Fender are in the same range for domestic instruments, give or take customizations and so forth.

Naturally Gibson is a little pricier and you are paying for the name to a certain extent -- but not a lot of American music instrument manufacturers have been around and continuously turning out good products nearly as long.

Consider what a concert violinist will pay for an instrument and then consider that you can purchase a Les Paul that is on spec with anyone of a number of instruments you have heard on thousands of rock albums over decades for less than 5K.

And it has a lifetime warranty and a great after market value ...
Quote by Sean0913
Well, I'll add the kudos for Kona's, I've been recommending the K-2 to guitarists on a budget for 6 years now.

I'll add that I have seen a decline in the quality and setup over the last 6 months, and it's a shame, but I notice that's the trend in general. Now I cannot reccomend them as a "sure win" anymore, but they bucked the trend towards chaos for a long time. But sadly some things change.

If you can find an old one from 2006-2009, chances are it's gonna be great. I used to have my own set up guy in Ft Worth, set them to my specs, but he's not there anymore...game over.

Every year the powers that be will look at ways to make things cheaper, and at some point you reach a place where the quality suffers. Kona was my sleeper pick for years. I didn't recommend any other Kona's but the K2...and now with my last inspections (which I sent back rejected, because they didn't meet my standards), I'm afraid their best days are well behind them, and it's a shame.

Best,

Sean

Quote by vampirelazarus
Didnt the person who said his guitar was $100 also say he bought it used?

I bought it new in the fall of '04...so it's almost 7 years old. Only a couple things have gone wrong: 1) the saddle is starting to crack - I've emailed Kona, and they're sending me a replacement, free of charge; 2) a couple of the fretboard inlays have dropped - no biggie, doesn't affect sound or playability, just aesthetics.

It has a few dings and chips in the finish, but that's to be expected as I do not have a hard case (which would cost more than the guitar). However, the tuners, bridge and all other hardware are still in excellent shape.

For the record, it's a Kona K1TRD in transparent red.
http://www.konaguitars.com/acoustic_k1_k1trd.html

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Yeah, because emotion and shred and mutually exclusive, right?

There is a time and place for everything. However, some professional guitarists seem to think faster = better....always. Take Yngwie Malmsteen, for example (and I'm probably going to get flamed for this)...I've never once heard him play anything that wasn't shred. Perhaps I simply haven't listened to enough of him, but what I have heard has completely turned me off to his music. Same with Vai, though to a somewhat lesser extent.

The point I'm trying to make here is that there are a few of us (guitarists) who shred when shredding isn't called for. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good shred-fest every now and then, but there is a time and place for it...and that's not in everything.
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Page 1 of 2