Hey all,

First and foremost Hi to all on the forum. Im glad I found this place! Looking forward to posting around here.

I am looking for advice on which guitar to get between the three of these guitars:

Ibanez GART50QA
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/10969/Guitars/Electric/Ibanez/GART50_-_Trans_Blue_Burst.htm

Squier Affinity Strat
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/3640/Guitars/Electric/Fender_Musical_Instruments/Affinity_Series_Strat_Special_Edition_2_tone_Sunburst.htm

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/1165/Guitars/Electric/Epiphone/Les_Paul_Special_II_-_Vintage_Sunburst.htm

Im just a beginner looking to get a decent guitar to learn on and will get a better guitar later on once Im a bit better.

If this helps any some of my favourite bands are Audioslave, Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, Crossfade, AC/DC, Staind, Alice in Chains, Explosions in the Sky, FlyLeaf, Hoobastank, Motley Crew, Shinedown, Slash, Nirvana and plenty more, lol. Thats just to list a few.

My favourite guitarist is Tom Morello. Love his work.

Your help is appreciated. Thanks!!!
The ibanez is a pretty solid beginner guitar.
Quote by christfudge
Joe Satriani + Kirk Hammett = Joe Satriani

Quote by Vornik
I got really drunk, dropped some acid and found myself about 12 feet away from a black bear. Though you should know.
Quote by Wakko444
The ibanez is a pretty solid beginner guitar.

Ok, Cool. Thanks for the reply.

You think its better quality then the other two? Or at this price range I guess I should expect about the same kind of quality, lol.
Try posting this in the Electric guitar forum, people will be more inclined to help there. Anyway, I'd say the Epiphone is a waste of money. And you can get something better than the Squier. Yamaha Pacifica?

Anyway, whats your budget? An epiphone G-400 seems fitting.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Try posting this in the Electric guitar forum, people will be more inclined to help there. Anyway, I'd say the Epiphone is a waste of money. And you can get something better than the Squier. Yamaha Pacifica?

Anyway, whats your budget? An epiphone G-400 seems fitting.

Hey,

I wasn't sure where to post the thread initially. I thought either this section or electric guitars and thought maybe the gear section would be better. Oh well. I don't wanna end up cross posting... is it allowed on this forum? Maybe a mod can move this thread to the electric guitar section if its better suited there.

As for my budget... about $200.

How are Ibanez guitars generally considered? Pretty decent stuff?
Last edited by Guitarist_86 at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by Guitarist_86
Hey,

I wasn't sure where to post the thread initially. I thought either this section or electric guitars and thought maybe the gear section would be better. Oh well. I don't wanna end up cross posting... is it allowed on this forum? Maybe a mod can move this thread to the electric guitar section if its better suited there.

As for my budget... about $200.

How are Ibanez guitars generally considered? Pretty decent stuff?

Hopefully a mod will move it. mmh...the G-400 is $100 out of your budget. Low end Ibanez guitars represent the "you get what you pay for" phrase. Nothing great but they get the job done. The tremolos on those are terrible.

Is there any way you could go to a music store and try out a few? Just to get a feel for the neck to see what you are more comfortable with. What's your budget for the amp?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Hopefully a mod will move it. mmh...the G-400 is $100 out of your budget. Low end Ibanez guitars represent the "you get what you pay for" phrase. Nothing great but they get the job done. The tremolos on those are terrible.

Is there any way you could go to a music store and try out a few? Just to get a feel for the neck to see what you are more comfortable with. What's your budget for the amp?

Yeah, a bit restricted by budget right now. But, I already picked up an amp, strap, picks, stand, gig bag, amp cord, electric tuner. Its just the guitar left. I spend $80 on my amp.

I actually did go to the store and check out some guitars. Which is how I narrowed my list down to those three that I posted above. Of the three I liked the Ibanez one the best for sure.

How about any of these guitars:

http://www.tomleemusic.ca/main/guitars.cfm?details=1&id=241&inv=150205

http://www.tomleemusic.ca/main/guitars.cfm?details=1&id=241&inv=150210

http://www.tomleemusic.ca/main/guitars.cfm?details=1&id=241&inv=145048
For what you listed, I'd advise either the ibanez or the epiphone, probably the ibanez though I"ve never played it. At the end of the day though, none of it will be a giant difference and you'll probably be happy with any of the three.

Good luck getting started in all this!
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by darkwolf291
Jackson make solid guitars.
I have a JS1 dinky and while it's not the best guitar in the world, it's solid.
I'd go to a store and try a few out.

^^^ Thanks for the input. I think so far Im going to either get the Ibanez or Jackson.

Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
For what you listed, I'd advise either the ibanez or the epiphone, probably the ibanez though I"ve never played it. At the end of the day though, none of it will be a giant difference and you'll probably be happy with any of the three.

Good luck getting started in all this!

^^^ Thanks for replying. I figured for the price there wouldn't be big differences. Like I said above Im going to either get the Ibanez or Jackson.

Basically deciding between these two axe's at this point:

http://www.tomleemusic.ca/main/guitars.cfm?details=1&id=241&inv=145048

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/10969/Guitars/Electric/Ibanez/GART50_-_Trans_Blue_Burst.htm
Getting a used guitar can go a long, long way in getting a quality instrument that will treat you well at a low price, as long as it doesn't have to be super shiny. Check your local Craigslist or guitar center's used site.
outta the 3 originally posted, i'd be swayed more toward the ibanez as well. i am split on the jackson or ibanez, you're getting pretty close in quality at that point.

CL is a great place to look, but you're gonna get more from CL when you know what you're looking at. so don't get too caught up or discouraged when cruising CL for a deal, the deals will pop out more when you get more experience.

i'd say your head is in the right place for a beginner guitar.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
outta the 3 originally posted, i'd be swayed more toward the ibanez as well. i am split on the jackson or ibanez, you're getting pretty close in quality at that point.

CL is a great place to look, but you're gonna get more from CL when you know what you're looking at. so don't get too caught up or discouraged when cruising CL for a deal, the deals will pop out more when you get more experience.

i'd say your head is in the right place for a beginner guitar.

Yup, gumbilicious has a very good point. As a beginner you may not know what the best deal is on CL or Ebay. But buying used is definitely a good thing.

If you can, try to find a used Made In Mexico Stratocaster (by Fender, not Squier). If you're looking for humbuckers, something from the RG series by Ibanez would do the job. The reason I'm singling out those two is because they are fairly popular.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
^^^ Thanks for the input "gumbilicious" and " JKHC".

I looked around on CL and like you guys said was either confused or didn't really think any of deals were, well, "deals. EXCEPT, one.

I found a Ibanez SA series guitar that the seller claims is in basically good-to-new condition. Im not sure what exact model it is but from looking at the picture and comparing to some on the web it look likes a Ibanez SA220FM. He's asking $150 for the guitar. Looking around its about a $400 guitar at retail when it was the latest model.

link to guitar here:

http://www.acclaim-music.com/Ibanez-SA220FM-6-String-Electric-Guitar.html

Any input on this CL find?

Thanks for all the help all of you thus far.... I really appreciate it!
Quote by Guitarist_86
^^^ Thanks for the input "gumbilicious" and " JKHC".

I looked around on CL and like you guys said was either confused or didn't really think any of deals were, well, "deals. EXCEPT, one.

I found a Ibanez SA series guitar that the seller claims is in basically good-to-new condition. Im not sure what exact model it is but from looking at the picture and comparing to some on the web it look likes a Ibanez SA220FM. He's asking $150 for the guitar. Looking around its about a $400 guitar at retail when it was the latest model.

link to guitar here:

http://www.acclaim-music.com/Ibanez-SA220FM-6-String-Electric-Guitar.html

Any input on this CL find?

Thanks for all the help all of you thus far.... I really appreciate it!

I have played one of those although they are kind of rare because the RG series outdoes them. They feel very similar to RGs but the pickups aren't good. Its not a big deal as a beginner but in a year or two you could change those.

Ask for pics and a serial number. There are quite a few fake guitars going around, even the cheap models. Go to a music store and try guitars there. Then buy used according to what you like.

If you want to go with that, go to a music store and try an Ibanez RG because you probably won't find the SA there. While there, try a few other guitars: a strat, Sg, les paul etc. It is a pretty good deal for $150 even with a few flaws. Maybe they could go lower?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
I have played one of those although they are kind of rare because the RG series outdoes them. They feel very similar to RGs but the pickups aren't good. Its not a big deal as a beginner but in a year or two you could change those.

Ask for pics and a serial number. There are quite a few fake guitars going around, even the cheap models. Go to a music store and try guitars there. Then buy used according to what you like.

If you want to go with that, go to a music store and try an Ibanez RG because you probably won't find the SA there. While there, try a few other guitars: a strat, Sg, les paul etc. It is a pretty good deal for $150 even with a few flaws. Maybe they could go lower?

Ok cool. Thanks for the info. I will re-visit the store and consider my options and feel out the guitars. I think the Craigslist Ibanez SA series deal is pretty legit and based on my limited knowledge its a better guitar then the Ibanez GART50QA for $200. I got the guy to come down to $120 for the SA series one so Ill check the serial # and make sure its legit because I think I will most likely get that guitar at this point. For the price and for learning purposes I don't think I can beat it really. Maybe Ill upgrade the hardware on it as needed.

Here is the ad to guitar on CL:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/msg/2448734527.html
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Good deal! That guitar looks clean and just sexy in general. I've play S series guitars in the $400 range and they are light and comfortable and wellbuilt in general.

cool. good to know.

Any suggestions on an amp now, lol? I bought a Traynor DG10 that's still boxed up and can be returned if you guys think there is a better amp out there for the price.

Budget for the amp is around $100 give or take. Maybe consider a Fender Frontman 15R or Mustang I over this one?

Thanks again!
Quote by Guitarist_86
cool. good to know.

Any suggestions on an amp now, lol? I bought a Traynor DG10 that's still boxed up and can be returned if you guys think there is a better amp out there for the price.

Budget for the amp is around $100 give or take. Maybe consider a Fender Frontman 15R or Mustang I over this one?

Thanks again!

List of GOOD amps to check out:

Fender mustang. I have one
Vox vt
Orange crush
Peavey vypyr
Roland cube

Avoid line 6 spider and Marshall MG. The Traynor sucks.....sorry
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Thanks for the advice "JKHC" ^^^^

I bought the Craigslist guitar yesterday. It was in great shape. There are a few scratches on the back of the guitar but otherwise in great shape.

The EXACT guitar I bought for $100 with a stand here:

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/SA220FM_(2007)

Here it is listed in the 2007 Ibanez ?(SA200FM TGB) catalogue:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/expansion.php?cat_id=281&now=17

Original MSRP for the guitar was something like $430.

And I ended up returning the Traynor DG10 and bought a Fender Mustang I amp.

Really happy with my amp and guitar. Much thanks to all that gave me advice. The Craigslist advice was just great. I got a $450 guitar for $100 bucks. Cant complain as a beginner.

Now I just need to learn how to play, lol. Starting lessons on the 5th.

Ill post some pics later of the new gear.

Again thanks to all for the advice. This place, literally, ROCKS!
Quote by Guitarist_86
Thanks for the advice "JKHC" ^^^^

I bought the Craigslist guitar yesterday. It was in great shape. There are a few scratches on the back of the guitar but otherwise in great shape.

The EXACT guitar I bought for $100 with a stand here:

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/SA220FM_(2007)

Here it is listed in the 2007 Ibanez ?(SA200FM TGB) catalogue:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/expansion.php?cat_id=281&now=17

Original MSRP for the guitar was something like $430.

And I ended up returning the Traynor DG10 and bought a Fender Mustang I amp.

Really happy with my amp and guitar. Much thanks to all that gave me advice. The Craigslist advice was just great. I got a $450 guitar for $100 bucks. Cant complain as a beginner.

Now I just need to learn how to play, lol. Starting lessons on the 5th.

Ill post some pics later of the new gear.

Again thanks to all for the advice. This place, literally, ROCKS!

I have a mustang too
They are amazing amps for the price. So...how does the guitar feel?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Jul 3, 2011,
Quote by JKHC
I have a mustang too
They are amazing amps for the price. So...how does the guitar feel?

feels good. I went to a music store before and and felt out some of the guitars in my budget and then went to see the one I bought. I would say in comparison this one felt pretty good all around. Its a pretty light guitar which I like and the neck feels good while playing.

Overall pretty happy.
I took some pics of the new guitar and amp to share with you peeps .... (thanks to all in the thread that helped out, I really appreciate it) :

Ibanez SA220FM
Fender Mustang I

Guitar by Jay Gill Photography, on Flickr

Gear-Amp combo 6 by Jay Gill Photography, on Flickr

Gear-Amp 1 (1 of 1) by Jay Gill Photography, on Flickr

Gear-Amp combo 3 by Jay Gill Photography, on Flickr

Gear-Amp combo 2 by Jay Gill Photography, on Flickr

Now I just need to learn to play!
Last edited by Guitarist_86 at Jul 9, 2011,
Quote by IbanezBossShred
About the same quality on all three really. But I vote Ibanez too, as a totally unbiased opinion.[/lyinga$$biasedfugger]

Quote by IbanezBossShred
Oh crap, I missed the whole last page of this thread. Well, at least you got a nice guitar now.

Hahah^^^ Thanks. I ended up with a way nicer guitar then if I hadn't signed up on this forum.
Oh god, those pics are so pro....

The guitar looks sweet, hope your enjoying it. Couldn't tell from the pics but is the top purple or grey?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Oh god, those pics are so pro....

The guitar looks sweet, hope your enjoying it. Couldn't tell from the pics but is the top purple or grey?

Thanks for the comment on the pics.

The guitar has this grey-ish finish to it and the top of the neck is the same grey-ish finish.

Glad you liked the pics.