So I just recently ordered some of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dr-strings-drop-down-tuning-5-string-heavy-bass-strings/585432000000000 strings.
And I was just putting them on, got em all on fine until I got to my low B. I got it in the slot and was turning it then I put some pressure on the string, pushing it down so it'd go into the nut slot and suddenly I hear a crack. I look, it went into the nut slot. Then I looked at the top of the strings and it broke and was uncoiling as I turned.

Is there anything I can do about this or did I just lose $35?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Can you send strings back to musiciansfriend?
I don't know the consumer rights in your country

They shouldn't break fresh out of the packet unless something is wrong.
I've heard that quite a bit about DRs. I've never used them myself though and many people love them, maybe I just hear all the horror stories.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Is not having the B string on going to affect my neck at all? Because the tip of the string is still wrapped around the tuner and I can't get it off until I get pliers or something.
It's never happened to me though that's because I stay clear of their round core strings.

They are notorious for their wrap wire unwinding.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
If it's just for a few days, then I can't imagine it'll do any real harm. If you left it like that for a year or something, then that's when you might find problems, but otherwise, you should be okay
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Okay thanks guys. Any idea how to get this off? I'm thinking pliers. *shrug*
Last edited by Rawshik at Jul 1, 2011,
Yeah just grab a piece with pliers, it'll unwrap when you pull.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Also, did you get your bass set up for those thick strings, as in file down your nut? A stock nut usually isn't fitted for a 135 B, and especially not a 115 E. You shouldn't have to fit with the string to put it in the nut, it should just be a tiny click.
pinga
Musicians Friends guarantee:

² The following items are returnable only if defective OR unopened/unused: strings, reeds, computers, software/soundware, tubes, earbuds, earplugs, recorders, tin whistles, flutophones, "world" wind instruments, harmonicas, raw-frame speakers, drumheads, drumsticks, turntable cartridges, fog fluid, clothing/footwear, body jewelry, sheet music, cassettes, books, CDs, DVDs, videos, cleaners, polishes, and polishing cloths. Software/soundware, cassettes, CDs, DVDs, and videos may be returned for credit only if they are in their original, sealed packaging. If defective, these items will only be exchanged for the same product.

So call them up and request a refund.....

And the only strings I've ever had that broke were DRs. On someone else's bass.
Why would you need pliers to unwrap at the string? Use your fingers. What you really should to is snip the wires a little before you put them on so that you don't have a massive amount of string that needs settling in, having lots of windings around your tuners will play havoc with your intonation.

Also, check the nut and tuner for defects, pretty often its the fault of the bass rather than the strings, sharp bits of metal in the wrong place will kill your strings.
Probably better off complaining to the manufacturer, I had a set of DR Neons that sounded dead out of the box so I sent them an email. They asked for my address and set me two sets. Put one of the sets on, same thing. Decided the strings were just shit in general and sold the other set.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I sent an email to musician's friend last night and they are sending me a new pack of the same strings. As for the setup thing, is it possible it's my fault? In comparison to my last strings they seemed about the same size but maybe the nut IS too small? How would I know? How would I go about fixing this?
Quote by Cb4rabid
Also, did you get your bass set up for those thick strings, as in file down your nut? A stock nut usually isn't fitted for a 135 B, and especially not a 115 E. You shouldn't have to fit with the string to put it in the nut, it should just be a tiny click.

His bass is a 5 string so if he was using the same gauge as before it should have fitted.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Rawshik
I sent an email to musician's friend last night and they are sending me a new pack of the same strings. As for the setup thing, is it possible it's my fault? In comparison to my last strings they seemed about the same size but maybe the nut IS too small? How would I know? How would I go about fixing this?

Could be. Have you ever set up your bass before? The usual standard bass nut would be 130, 105, 85, 65 and 45. If you hadn't set it up before and just went and installed the strings, they may have put up a fight when you were trying to get them to rest in the slot. Was it just the B string that gave you a problem? 55 is thick for a G string...

Quote by Vampire 255
His bass is a 5 string so if he was using the same gauge as before it should have fitted.

IF he was using the same gauge as before. Maybe he wasn't
pinga
No clue what gauge I was using before. The only other string that gave me a little hassle was the E, but it wasn't too much of a problem. No I've never had my bass setup, not quite sure what that means.
So I haven't gotten my new set of strings yet and I'm going out of town tomorrow. So would it be applicable to put on my old 5th string and leave on my new other strings? Or would that sound really bad?
The B would sound relatively dull compared to the others, but there's no reason why you couldn't do it especially if it's all you have. Old string is better than no string.
pinga
Would it be better to put on all my old strings instead?
Ehh. Problem is, if you unwind the new strings already, they're gonna lose the tension you already put in place, so the next time you install them, they might be a bit loopy when you try tuning it. But you can do it.
pinga
I put on just the old 5th. The sound isn't TOO off, so it's fine. Thanks for all the help mates!