I had really no clue where to post this...
So we know thar very many metal bands today use drop tunings. If the guitar players in the band tunes to for example c# standard, would it be usual for the keyboard player to also tune 3 semitones down? Also how often do bass players do this?
Quote by Usernames sucks
I had really no clue where to post this...
So we know thar very many metal bands today use drop tunings. If the guitar players in the band tunes to for example c# standard, would it be usual for the keyboard player to also tune 3 semitones down? Also how often do bass players do this?

Seriously?... A keyboard doesn't change tuning they just play in the key. Also bass players usually tune down w/ the guitar players unless they have a 5 string bass.
Quote by sexybacon
Seriously?... A keyboard doesn't change tuning they just play in the key. Also bass players usually tune down w/ the guitar players unless they have a 5 string bass.

this.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
@Usernames sucks: Tuning down is for 2 reasons:
1. Transposing a song
2. Easier to play

A keyboard can be tuned down, but when transposing you just place your fingers a few notes down so for a keyboard it doesn't matter. Since the bass is in the same key as the guitar it's most likely it will be in the same tuning as the guitar since it plays easier and it should sound better.

@rest: please be a bit understanding.
lalala
Actually, you left out the most important reason: It sounds a whole lot different when tuned down.
Quote by Usernames sucks

1) Sorry to get semantic, but you are conflating drop tuning and down tuning. These are separate concepts, but can exist in parallel. Down tuning is exactly what it appears to mean, but drop tuning implies down tuning the bottom string an extra whole tone.

2) As other people have stated, bass mimics the guitar in this regard and keyboards are generally not tuned differently.
Keyboards can be tuned but its more for something like if you know a song really well but your buddy can only sing it in a different key from what you know it, then you 'tune' it (its called transposing, like DiDii said)
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
This is a good example of why people should learn the notes on the fretboard, and WHY people downtune (it's not just to copy tabs).

Downtuning gives you access to lower notes...and that's about it. Keyboards have an extremely large range of notes compared to the guitar, and have access to notes far higher and lower than are available on a standard six string guitar. For this reason there is little to no reason to tune the keyboard differently, because you already have all the notes you need. You can buy keyboards with more keys to give you access to extra notes. If you are suggesting however that if one instrument is downtuned, all instruments have to be, this is simply incorrect.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud