did they use a lot of mids to create their tones or less mids?

ive read somewhere that they used lots and somewhere else said they used very little.

im just a little confused is all.

btw i mean bands like Whitesnake, Firehouse, RATT.......

thanks
Yeah they did, middy sounding "British" amps, well actually just a SLO.

It wasnt until you got the thrash bands that you get into scoopy scoop land.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Holy Katana
JCM800 with lotsa mids. Jackson/Charvel or Kramer guitar. Roland JC-120 backstage for cleans.

That's the '80s hair metal sound.

This basically, so why i bought a bugera 6260 is beyond me lol
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
wow, thanks for the speedy replys guys!

ok, so what would be a typical setup on a JCM800?

just to get me started....then i can tweak it to my taste.

thanks
Quote by rock rocks
wow, thanks for the speedy replys guys!

ok, so what would be a typical setup on a JCM800?

just to get me started....then i can tweak it to my taste.

thanks

Yep, just crank the volume, drench the cleans in chorus, add some delay and reverb to your leads and your set
RIP Gooze

cats
80's is either an SLO or a tubescreamer in front of a JCM800.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by stykerwolf
everything at 10 because hair bands never really cared much about tone, it was all about drugs and banging supermodels

While he used a Super Lead and not a JCM800, I've always heard Eddie Van Halen put everything on 10.

Seemed to work for him, although I guess it's hard to sound bad with a Plexi.
Quote by Holy Katana
although I guess it's hard to sound bad with a Plexi.

actually it's a very unforgiving amp. it seems to amplify what you do wrong twice as much as what you do right.

TS - what cathbard said.
Quote by gregs1020
actually it's a very unforgiving amp. it seems to amplify what you do wrong twice as much as what you do right.

TS - what cathbard said.

Well, I've never had the opportunity to play one, unfortunately.

But what about its tone stack? Does it sound good with the knobs virtually anywhere, or are there only a few good settings?
Quote by Holy Katana
Well, I've never had the opportunity to play one, unfortunately.

But what about its tone stack? Does it sound good with the knobs virtually anywhere, or are there only a few good settings?

ok, i'll try to make this applicable to the thread.

4 holers like the superlead or lead heads (imo) sound fine with a lot of settings because the BMT knobs don't have a vast tonal change like modern amps. i'd say less than 50% of a normal amp today. it has to do with their place in the circuit, i'm no amp tech so i can't say exactly how or why but someone can verify this.

they sound great cranked and have a nice amount of gain with a hot humbucker guitar all by themselves, but you hit full volume at about 4/10 on the volume dials, after that, it's just more gain. (speaking in technically incorrect uses of the words "volume" and "gain" so you can replace them if you like with "loudness" and "distortion" respectively if you like).

a lot of guys in the 70's and 80's added a master volume to the amps, they were usually on the back panel. and some popular version of that mod'd marshall went on to become the JCM800. marshall recognized what people wanted, and the 800 was born.

then it got boosted a bunch with a TS (mid heavy) and alnico PAF type pups (mid heavy) through a marshall (mid heavy). all these mids mixed in an elixir with spandex, aquanet, tequilla and bandanas got supermodels to dance around in MTV videos like skanky ho's.

and nobody needed a MXR 10 band EQ.

it wasn't til the grunge kids made them look like sissies that they all wanted to look like the guys from a biker build off show on the discovery channel.

TS - you want a SLO.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 1, 2011,