Page 1 of 2
are there any musicians (not specifically guitarists) that are virtuoso on more than 1 instrument. not really between, say, guitar and bass guitar or something. more 2 different types of instruments.
John Paul Jones.

/thread
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because f*ck you Hebriqui.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
Hard to define virtuoso but Shawn mutha****in' Lane.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Hebriqui
John Paul Jones.

/thread

not sure thats fair. john paul jones knows how to play like every instrument in existence.
Kurt Rosenwinkle is a badass piano player
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

Quote by Hebriqui
John Paul Jones.

/thread

He said virtuoso. Sure JPJ can play stuff, but he is not a bass virtuoso.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
My guitar teacher could play a mean bass, piano, drums and even a clarinet.

Buckethead is also a good example.

John Paul Jones is far from a virtuoso, unless you consider multi instrumentalism as virtuosity...so if yes I'd have to include Jeff Lynn, Roger Hodgeson, Dave Grohl, David Bowie and Paul McCartney.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by Neo Evil11
He said virtuoso. Sure JPJ can play stuff, but he is not a bass virtuoso.

Or a keyboard virtuoso for that matter, he's a fantastic musician though.
Quote by Guitar0player
Or a keyboard virtuoso for that matter, he's a fantastic musician though.

No doubt about that.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Pretty much any professional brass or woodwind player. They all play about 3-5 different instruments.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by Its So Easy
Pretty much any professional brass or woodwind player. They all play about 3-5 different instruments.

So that means I am a multi instrumentalist too?

I can play guitar, bass, baritone guitar, mandolin and etc only by using applied theory?
Quote by Its So Easy

Being great at an instrument and playing several instruments =/= being a virtuoso
The time required to be a real virtuoso means that it is very seldom that performers can be a virtuoso on more then one instrument.

Although, one clear-cut example is Leonard Bernstein. virtuoso conductor and pianist. I think he clearly deserves the multi-virtuoso designation.
I don't know about "virtuoso", but Jordan Rudess from Dream Theater can play guitar quite well too.
this is the problem i was having. i knew a bunch of multi-instrumentalists that were virtuoso at 1 instrument. but i being multi-virtuoso is something that i haven't really seen.

maybe the term 'multi-virtuoso' will be used more often as it becomes more prestigiously known. who knows.
Quote by Its So Easy

Where did you get this information from? As far as my experience goes, that's not true at all. The basics of most brass instruments are the same, and then for woodwind you've got reed instruments which have similarites and instruments like pipes and flutes without reeds that have some similarities, but I'm pretty sure most brass and woodwind players only play their respective instrument.
Paul McCartney
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
ITT: People naming out anybody who plays more than one instrument, not virtuosos.

I'd have to go with Pacquito De Riviera. Jazz musician, plays a mean sax and clarinet, and possibly more.
pinga
Quote by Msword7
I think some of you hold the term virtuoso a little too low,

this is a virtuoso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zucBfXpCA6s

and here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI-1sq5dFD4

So many piano virtuosos seem to have a real lack of economy of motion. Shit's always flying all over the place. I wonder why that is...
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by TheBurningFish

Might as well end the thread.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by Butt Rayge
Where did you get this information from? As far as my experience goes, that's not true at all. The basics of most brass instruments are the same, and then for woodwind you've got reed instruments which have similarites and instruments like pipes and flutes without reeds that have some similarities, but I'm pretty sure most brass and woodwind players only play their respective instrument.

A clarinet player who goes to college to study performance and will study Bb, Eb, A, and Bass clarinet. Sure they are all clarinets but they are all very different and require different types of skills. No one is just trained on Bb clarinet, because without a doubt they will have to play a piece asking for Eb or A clarinet.

Quote by Zeletros
Being great at an instrument and playing several instruments =/= being a virtuoso

Take for example a saxophonist in a jazz band. Lets say he plays the first tenor sax part. Guess what, he will also have to play clarinet, bass clarinet, and flute for sure. He must be able to perform on a professional level on all those instruments.

When someone (at least in the US) goes to college to study music performance, they do more than just study on a principal instrument. For example, a tenor trombone player studying performance will be primarly studying tenor trombone, but he will also have to master Alto Trombone and Euphonium at least.

Thats the point I was making, sure they play several instruments but they perform on a professional level with all of them.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Last edited by Its So Easy at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by Its So Easy
For example, a tenor trombone player studying performance will be primarly studying tenor trombone, but he will also have to master Alto Trombone and Euphonium at least.

Pretty bad example, because they're so similar. Euphonium merely requires you to change from a slide to valves, and Alto is almost exactly the same. It's like changing from a 6 string guitar to a 7 string.
Quote by guy_tebache
Bill Bailey. He's a comedian, but hes a virtuoso of several instruments.

He's a very good pianist, i'll give you that but he's really not a guitar virtuoso at all.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by Aleene
Pretty bad example, because they're so similar. Euphonium merely requires you to change from a slide to valves, and Alto is almost exactly the same. It's like changing from a 6 string guitar to a 7 string.

As a euphonim player I'd like to point out euphoniums must play with a darker sound than a trombone.

/band geek moment

And I agree with the sax thing, in fact I'm almost certian all sax fingerings are universal for all the other saxes, so say an alto player should be able to play soprano, tenor, and baritone saxes as well.
I pride myself on my humility.
ornette coleman? i guess he's not a virtuoso on everything he does but he's pretty cool
Quote by TheBurningFish

plays guitar and keys and sings better than most musicians can do one.
/thread

Quote by Tragic Mulatto
ornette coleman? i guess he's not a virtuoso on everything he does but he's pretty cool

he's the only guy i can think of that can make the sound of a dying animal on every instrument he touches.

Quote by beyondthegrave
surprised no one said geddy lee yet.

Geddy Lee can't even play one instrument right.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Hebriqui
John Paul Jones.

/thread

I concur. Rashan Roland Kirk also comes to mind.
Not sure if you would call him a virtuoso but can't Prince play about 40 instruments or something daft?
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Quote by GreenDayChris
Not sure if you would call him a virtuoso but can't Prince play about 40 instruments or something daft?

please, Fassa can play way more instruments, plus she can sing in 47 languages.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Guitar0player
My guitar teacher could play a mean bass, piano, drums and even a clarinet.

Buckethead is also a good example.

John Paul Jones is far from a virtuoso, unless you consider multi instrumentalism as virtuosity...so if yes I'd have to include Jeff Lynn, Roger Hodgeson, Dave Grohl, David Bowie and Paul McCartney.

Dave grohl, **** no. He can play some nice power chords. He's no virtuoso by any stretch.
Quote by griffRG7321
Listen to this guy ^

Quote by Mad Marius
Nu-metal:

- tumble dryer
- cat
- pitch shifter
Nicolo Paganini, he was a Violin and Guitar Virtuoso.
Quote by whitenihilist
Asada is schooling Playmadness.

Quote by Victory2134
Asada confirmed for coolest guy in here.
many jazz and bluegrass greats were quite skilled on several instruments.
Page 1 of 2