Ok, here's the deal. I'm playing in a local covers band playing stuff from The Beatles & Pretenders to Sabbath & Foos. I have a 3 channel Marshall 30th Anniversary & use the 3 channels for different songs/sounds. What I need is a clean boost pedal for solos. I play with another guitarist & we split the solos between us. Been thinking about a Way Huge "Angry Troll" or the MXR "Micro Amp". I realise that this type of pedal will increase gain=increase disrortion a little, but as it won't be used for playing chords, only single notes, it won't matter. Been trying to find somewhere local that has either of these 2 in stock but no luck. Any experience/opinions on these, or any others of this type, would be great. Budget of around £100, but not fixed to this amount, & I'm in the UK.
Thanks people
The ehx lpb-1 does a good job.......
i believe that boost pedals will always contribute some gain when pushing a tube amp. Almost any boost pedal will add a little gain to an already dirty signal if significantly raising the volume aswell. I dont think that the MXR will supply an insane amount of gain and this is what i will sugest.
Quote by redandwhite12
i believe that boost pedals will always contribute some gain when pushing a tube amp. Almost any boost pedal will add a little gain to an already dirty signal if significantly raising the volume aswell. I dont think that the MXR will supply an insane amount of gain and this is what i will sugest.

That's why you run the boost in the effects loop if you want a volume increase without adding distortion.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The Visual Sound True Tone boost is as clean as I've seen. The other boosts I've used distorted by themselves after around 3 oclock on the volume knob...

FX loop for volume boost is definitely the way to go.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
EQ in the effect loop works great!
2011 PRS CU24 (Black/Gold), Carvin Legacy 3
Didn't think about using the effects loop, all my pedals are straight in the front. Think it'll have to be the MXR in the effects loop, I'll let you know how it works
I use the micro amp in the fx loop and it is great. I have the knob set to about 10 o'clock and that's plenty for a solo boost and nowhere near enough to add any distortion.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp