So I was thinking about how I would be able to play guitar in my dorm room when I start uni in a year. I can't really play my Carvin V3m without making my fellow students mad. I was just looking for options, and I stumbled upon the Line6 POD HD.

So, with this unit would I be able to plug into a laptop and practice using the variety of amps and effects? How exactly does this work?
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
It's a modelling processor that imitates the sound of amps, effects and speakers/cabs. Plug it into any full-range system (a stereo, computer speakers, headphones, anything that accepts line-level input) and you can play guitar through it. That's the gist of it.

EDIT: I don't know about the different versions of the PODs, but some modelling units can be plugged into a pc through USB/Firewire/etc. if I'm not mistaken.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jul 1, 2011,
It sounds like this would be great for a dorm then
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
No laptop is required at all. Everything is already in the pedal but you can hook it up to the computer and edit your patches in a program rather than on the pedal. You can hear your tone changes in real time too.

I got one of these the other day and it's awesome.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27567004#post27567004
it's a great idea for silent practicing. another option would be to buy a used pod xt/x3. they dont sound quite as good as the hd's, but they can still sound great in their own way. you can find them a lot cheaper than the hds. although, if you're willing to spend the money on an hd, go for it. they sound really good
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
it's a great idea for silent practicing. another option would be to buy a used pod xt/x3. they dont sound quite as good as the hd's, but they can still sound great in their own way. you can find them a lot cheaper than the hds. although, if you're willing to spend the money on an hd, go for it. they sound really good

I second the pot xt/x3 they are still really good models and fx, but way cheaper. If your looking for a floor version look at the Floor POD+ it will save you some cash.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate