Right, after several years of going from Micro cubes, to vox valvetronix, to Blackstars and god knows what other cheap amps, I'm now ready to spend substantial money on an amp (£1000-£1500 ).

I want something heavyish that can play old school rock 'n roll, but that also does clean well. I don't need super high gain for metal. Unfortunately I'm in a flat and can't play REALLY loud. So far I have my eye on this: http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=11013&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=PriceComparison

Thoughts? Suggestions? Cheers
Schecter Blackjack ATX C1 FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (w/ Jimmmy Page wiring kit & Dimarzio Air Norton/Tone Zone)
Blackstar HT5s
POD X3 Live
does it have to be loud enough for a gig?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Keep in mind one thing - higher voltage, the higher volume it takes to distort. Do you REALLY need a 50W while in a flat? If yes - go ahead, Orange is a great company and this head looks sweet.
Thunderverb is a good idea, a bit less gain than the rocker. The built in atteunuator will help keep things quiet.

The th30 has great cleans btw, and great dirty sounds. Maybe a little ganier than you like.

Be aware you need a cab.

You really want to check out Matamp too if orange take your fancy. A while a go they used to be the same company, most modern matamps are varations on vintage orange amps. But orange wanted to expand, become mass produced and a big name, but compramising on quality. Matamp wanted to stay small and keep up the quality, handwired, ptp, quality components, quality trannies and valves stock. With your kind of budget deffinately go matamp.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by Most_Triumphant
does it have to be loud enough for a gig?

Not at the moment. Just loud enough to play alongside a drummer when I practice with some mates.

I'll take a look at the other suggestions here.

If I were to go for the Thunderverb, would this cab suffice? : http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=11068
Schecter Blackjack ATX C1 FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (w/ Jimmmy Page wiring kit & Dimarzio Air Norton/Tone Zone)
Blackstar HT5s
POD X3 Live
Laney GH or VH would be worth a look.
If you want something quieter an Egnater Tweaker would be worth taking a look at too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification