So I was searching around, and I saw someone selling a Squier VM Jazz Bass for$185, and I think I can hassle it down to $150ish. Is it a good deal? I know it's about $300 retail price but my friends at church tell me to stray away from squier.

And is there anything I need to look out for besides the obvious cracks, chips, scratches, etc?
Bass gear:
-Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
Last edited by itzkpanda at Jul 1, 2011,
Vintage Modified are an awesome bunch of instruments, and for $150, you really can't go wrong.
Your friends might tell you to stay away from squier, but tell them to play a '93 MIJ Squier Strat. They'll change their tunes when it blows an MIA standard strat out of the water :P
Quote by SeveralSpecies
That's not what your mother said.

That's right. You aint the only one working with cows.

DOUBLE MOM JOKE!

Thanks for your input... but the former bassist at my church is telling me to get an Ibanez... I tried like 2 or 3 out before, and I just don't like Ibanez basses that much :/
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
If you don't like the feel of them, they probably aren't for you. Try out the Squier and see how you feel about it, and if that doesn't fit the bill, try everything you can.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
That's not what your mother said.

That's right. You aint the only one working with cows.

DOUBLE MOM JOKE!

$150 is a stupendously low price for a VM Jazz.. they're about £275 new in the UK (seriously, how does that work?).
They're very decent anyway, definitely worth trying out at least.

Also I'm assuming you mean American dollars.
Quote by JustPhil

Also I'm assuming you mean American dollars.

Yep
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
squires get a bad rap cuz most people play a squire affinity and worse and get a bad one even by affinity standards and just assume all squires are garbage.

the vm and cv squires are just a notch below mim fenders and many of them are better than many of the mims.

also the basist at your church sounds like an elietis ibanez fanboy who thinks everyone should play ibanez because everyone has the same hands/ears/musical taste as him.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Ibeys are OK, but
I don't care for um.

I do love my VM P
bass though,

Tabdog
People have a terrible perpensity to assume that every brand only has one and only one quality, and will only retain that one quality for as long as they exist...

Squire is not ONLY AFFINITY quality... VM series, CV series, Vista series (my personal fave), MiK (80's), and MiJ (80's and 90's) Squires are all VERY reputable instruments.

Nothing wrong with an Ibby, though.

It's fine to get advice from seasoned players... but in the end it's really only your ears and eyes that can make that decision.

FWIW... if you get that VM Squire for $150, you can easily flip it and possibly MAKE a bit back if you end up disliking it.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
^
Why do people always forget the MIM and MIA Squiers?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
^
Why do people always forget the MIM and MIA Squiers?

Didn't know there were MiA Squiers... and i didn't consider the MiM Squiers, as all the ones i've seen were branded "Fender... Squier Series".
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
They're still Squiers .
As for the MIAs. They exsist. They're very rare though. Made in 89 and 90 for less than a full year.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
They're still Squiers .

Fair enough

As for the MIAs. They exsist. They're very rare though. Made in 89 and 90 for less than a full year.

Well damn... now ANOTHER thing i'll impulsively scour e-bay for...