Okay so I've always been interested in this type of music...it's like a hybrid of blues and folk, and it's very western-US sounding, reminds me of the arizona/utah red deserts.

Anyhow, it's normally slow, has:
A banjo
Harmonica
Slide Guitar
Normally a very raw sound

It's not redneck music, but it kind of has that backwards feel to it, like picture in the middle of a desert, a shack, and some old dude in a rocking chair with a banjo playing it.

If there's a name for this style, that'd be awesome. Or if you guys have any songs that fit that description!

Many thanks

edit: If there are any guitar tunings or other tips to compose this type of sound, that'd be aewsome too.
Last edited by kashmir0109 at Jul 1, 2011,
Bluegrass/Western??

For tuning your guitar, an open tuning sounds like it will work well. Try Open D or Open E. These work well both for imitating banjo rolls and facilitating your slide guitar.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by soviet_ska
Bluegrass/Western??

For tuning your guitar, an open tuning sounds like it will work well. Try Open D or Open E. These work well both for imitating banjo rolls and facilitating your slide guitar.

Thanks for the info!

I was looking at bluegrass/western, and I think it's just a bit too perky. I'm talking a really eerie frontier-ish sound.

I'll give two examples.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mGBSEnnjzk
Ignore the religious aspects and lyrics, I'm talking strictly the background music

and

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbrjRKB586s

Notice how you can picture the whole midwestern desert thing.

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9V_leNdmBU

Lastly. Go ahead and laugh at me for making a video game reference lol, but it captures the feel of the song.

I have heard this in many other places besides zeppelin/robert plant, I just can't remember them offhand.
Okay so I checked out Red River Valley and Otis Taylor's stuff, and I mean it's kind of in the right direction, but just not in the right zone at all. All three of them have a kind of perky feel, I'm looking for the really eerie kind, like in my links.

Thanks again, Kashmir
I don't really know what you mean, but this may be kind of what you're looking for.

Perhaps what you're looking for is just good ol' delta blues (also known as Mississippi blues). It's not that eery usually but you might hear some slow delta bluesy stuff in a movie set in the South. Can you maybe be a little more specific about what you're looking for?
Quote by Sóknardalr
I don't really know what you mean, but this may be kind of what you're looking for.

Perhaps what you're looking for is just good ol' delta blues (also known as Mississippi blues). It's not that eery usually but you might hear some slow delta bluesy stuff in a movie set in the South. Can you maybe be a little more specific about what you're looking for?

Thanks for the info. It isn't really Delta Blues...the three links I put a few posts up is the best way I can describe it.

I picture it more from the old west than the south. Like the frontier. I still can't figure out if it's closer to folk or to blues but it's definitely somewhere in between.
Last edited by kashmir0109 at Jul 5, 2011,
Americana?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Have you checked out Pandora.com? You can put in genre, artist or song and it generates a station based on it. Type in those songs and keep an ear out for what your looking for.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Jul 6, 2011,
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
"When the Levee Breaks" definitely isn't very Western. When I think Western I think Ennio Morricone (which might be of interest). Your descriptions all point to swamp blues, IMO. Skip James can also be rather eerie.

Confirmed it is Swamp Blues , I guess I was mixing up wet with dry...oh well, thanks very much guys!!!