I have a Jackson JS1 Dinky and I recently changed the strings. My old strings were Fender Light Nickel Plated Steel, the new ones are from a brand called Pyramid, Pure Nickel Round Wound Strings Light.

Recently, I have been practicing the solo from Stairway to Heaven and I have noticed that the 13th 14th and 15th fret look a little worn (in comparisson with the 20th fret for example).

Also, I must say that I have had my electric guitar for several years now but only recently have I started playing a lot on it.

Am I missing anything from the picture here? Is this normal?
Are there certain guitar string types that dull-out the frets faster?

I'm also a little worried if this dullness might cause problems. Will the frets become worn-out evenly (and therefore not cause any problems)? Also, can you please explain me what different types of electric guitar strings exist and how they're used?

Any help would be apreciated. Thanks in advance.
If you aren't hearing any buzzing then you don't have a need to be worried. What is probably happening is your frets are oxidizing everywhere except where you hit them with the string (most specifically string bending), and it is cleaning the oxidation off of that surface. I have the same thing happen to my Ibanez.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
Last edited by PatheticMedic at Jul 1, 2011,
Thanks a lot.

The only buzzing on my guitar is on the lower (thicker) E string. But the frets doesn't look worn at all next to that string. Anyway, it doesn't bother me because the buzzing isn't transmited to the amp when I'm playing.

So eventually the frets will stop getting worn-out?
Cheap guitars use cheap fret wire, its just how it is.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
No, they aren't wearing at all, it just looks like they are. Next time you restring you can take some fine grade steel wool (and it has to be fine, the finest grade made or you can mess up your fretboard) and clean it off, it will shine the frets up and remove all of that oxidation.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
No problem. Feel free to message me if you have anymore questions.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E