I have a fender MIM strat and it's got the stock bridge (vintage style trem). Since I'm just getting into electric, this is my first. Tuning was fine until I got new strings and now it's impossible to tune. I tighten one string, and all the others go flat. I loosen one string, and all the others go sharp. How do I tune this damned thing??
How heavy are your strings? Cause if they're to thick you'll have to tighten the springs in the back. Also pull on the strings after you tune it, giving them a good yank settles them into the nut, and tightens them on the tuning pegs. If you're afraid of breaking them, just do really big bends, it has the same effect.
What he said^
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by rob904
How heavy are your strings? Cause if they're to thick you'll have to tighten the springs in the back. Also pull on the strings after you tune it, giving them a good yank settles them into the nut, and tightens them on the tuning pegs. If you're afraid of breaking them, just do really big bends, it has the same effect.

Not too heavy at all. Ernie Ball .10 regulars.
Last edited by shimeister at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by shimeister
Not too heavy at all. Ernie Ball .10 regulars

Then get it in tune, stretch the strings, re-tune. Do it until it stays in tune
Quote by rob904
Then get it in tune, stretch the strings, re-tune. Do it until it stays in tune

I've been pulling and bending and stretching but to no effect. At one point I was able to get it in tune but the trem was so far our it was probably 45 degrees from the body...
sounds like your tuning too high.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
don't try to get them perfectly in tune at first, get them all roughly right and fine tune it a few times, which is the reason i hate trem bridges!

that said i have an old yamaha i hardtailed with a bit of wood for playing any odd songs that are in a different tuning from the rest of my gear

Quote by shimeister
I've been pulling and bending and stretching but to no effect. At one point I was able to get it in tune but the trem was so far our it was probably 45 degrees from the body...

you could open the back panel and adjust the tension on the springs to allow it to drop a bit more, shouldn't be pulling up that far with standard .10's
Last edited by funeralllllllll at Jul 1, 2011,
your strings are too heavy, even if it came with 9s, 10s will do that, you have to tighten the springs behind the trem, the same thing happened with my RG when i went from 9s to 10s. just make sure you loosen the strings before you tighten the trem springs, or you will break strings,
Quote by Robbgnarly
sounds like your tuning too high.

Is it just me or is everyone replying called rob?

Quote by funeralllllllll
don't try to get them perfectly in tune at first, get them all roughly right and fine tune it a few times, which is the reason i hate trem bridges!

that said i have an old yamaha i hardtailed with a bit of wood for playing any odd songs that are in a different tuning from the rest of my gear

you could open the back panel and adjust the tension on the springs to allow it to drop a bit more, shouldn't be pulling up that far with standard .10's

I think I might go ahead and hardtail it if this doesn't work -->

Quote by jpohl
your strings are too heavy, even if it came with 9s, 10s will do that, you have to tighten the springs behind the trem, the same thing happened with my RG when i went from 9s to 10s. just make sure you loosen the strings before you tighten the trem springs, or you will break strings,

^^
Last edited by shimeister at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by shimeister
Is it just me or is everyone replying called rob?

Us Robs is knowledgeable
you're going to have it set up, or look up how to set up a trem bridge
Quote by rob904
Us Robs is knowledgeable

I agree
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Vacuity
you're going to have it set up, or look up how to set up a trem bridge

Yeah, I got it, thanks. Turns out it was because I switched to heavier string. The stock strings were .09s and I changed into .10s so all I had to do was tighten the trem springs