So I know I just need to replace the power tubes (Was thinking of these) http://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro-Harmonix-6L6-Matched-Power-Tubes-210090-i1387411.gc

But isn't there another pair of tubes in the amp that I need to replace too so they match the new power tubes I'm getting?

I'm a tube amp noob and none of the guides I've read really seem to help.
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa
Last edited by Bryc3e at Jul 1, 2011,
NO EHX tubes are shit. Look at TubeDepot.com or eurotubes.com. The latter has complete sets for just about any amp and will set up a set of tubes if they don't have it listed. And not to be a dick, but if you don't know how to change power tubes don't do it, you can literaly Kill yourself from the voltage stored in the amp. The preamp tubes areeasy to change and those are the smaller tubes there is no adjustment that needs to be made to these.
Edit : Your preamp tubes are probably whats bad if you have Microphonic tubes.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by Robbgnarly
NO EHX tubes are shit. Look at TubeDepot.com or eurotubes.com. The latter has complete sets for just about any amp and will set up a set of tubes if they don't have it listed. And not to be a dick, but if you don't know how to change power tubes don't do it, you can literaly Kill yourself from the voltage stored in the amp. The preamp tubes areeasy to change and those are the smaller tubes there is no adjustment that needs to be made to these.

I wasn't going to be the one to change em but thanks for the tip anyways.

So, I'll go look for pre amp tubes then..
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa
Quote by Robbgnarly

Killing yourself from changing the power tubes?

Replacing power tubes is just as easy, if not easier than changing the preamp tubes buddy... If anything getting the preamp tubes in the desired order is much harder (providing you don't know the order) than replacing a matched set of power amp tubes.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy
Killing yourself from changing the power tubes?

Replacing power tubes is just as easy, if not easier than changing the preamp tubes buddy... If anything getting the preamp tubes in the desired order is much harder (providing you don't know the order) than replacing a matched set of power amp tubes.

Didn't say it was hard,but if you don't know how to properly bias your amp you run the risk of killing your tubes. And yes you can be killed by the voltage that is stored in the amp. So obviously you know nothing of this subject, in order to safely do this. Don't give a guy advise that can potentualy hurt him or his amp, when he obviously doesn't know the right answer himself.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Didn't say it was hard,but if you don't know how to properly bias your amp you run the risk of killing your tubes. And yes you can be killed by the voltage that is stored in the amp. So obviously you know nothing of this subject, in order to safely do this. Don't give a guy advise that can potentualy hurt him or his amp, when he obviously doesn't know the right answer himself.

You don't have to rebias after every power amp tube change...

Also the caps store the lethal charge when the amp is off, not the tubes.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
As long as you don't put your hands inside the amp it is very doubtful that you would electrocute yourself. Just don't jam a screwdriver or a probe into a tube pin socket while the amp is one.

Now, depending on what amp you have, biasing an amp for new power tubes without some general knowledge can be dangerous to your heath. Changing preamp tubes is very easy and safe.

Here is a vid I made on changing preamp tubes. I went a bit overboard to drive some points home

http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/hh384/buckethead_311/Amp%20stuff/?action=view&current=Microphonicpreamptube.mp4

I also have a blog in my Profile on biasing an amp like mine - which is a fixed bias amp with no external trim controls or test points (worst case basically without having to mod in a variable resistor to a non adjustable amp). Biasing is related to power tubes.

Both preamp and power amp tubes can go overly microphonic but it is often preamp tubes that do this. BTW - all preamp tubes are microphonic by nature. It is when they become overly microphonic that they get noisy etc.

What amp is this and is it fixed or cathode biased/non-adjustable fixed?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by Mopy
You don't have to rebias after every power amp tube change...

Also the caps store the lethal charge when the amp is off, not the tubes.

I never said the tubes held the charge, and yes you do have to rebias after a tube change. The only exceptions is if the amp is self biasing or you get the exact tube replacement from the same company. And personaly I would check the bias any ways, because you need to properly burn the tubes in and then recheck the bias.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I never said the tubes held the charge, and yes you do have to rebias after a tube change. The only exceptions is if the amp is self biasing or you get the exact tube replacement from the same company. And personaly I would check the bias any ways, because you need to properly burn the tubes in and then recheck the bias.

I'd also like to add fixed bias to that list.

Well, I for one don't know what amp he has, but my 6505 has a fixed bias and it is pretty much plug 'n' play in that sense.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy

Well, I for one don't know what amp he has, but my 6505 has a fixed bias and it is pretty much plug 'n' play in that sense.

2 Shay
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Mopy

That is because, for a fixed bias amp, it has a very narrow biasing range. To the point of being non-existent You'd have to mod the amp to get a meaningful bias range. Most fixed bias amps should be biased when changing power tubes but as you've pointed out - there are exceptions and everyone should check with their manufacturer as to what to do.