Page 1 of 6
So I just got back from a five week backpacking to such countries as France, Switzerland, Spain, and Germany. Also spend a few days in Dublin and London. Here are some things I found odd/interesting as an American:

1. It would have been nice to have not taken a shit or pissed the entire time. There were countless time when I cleanse my system only to find you had to either pay or be a customer to use the bathroom. Never will I pay for a bodily function. Across the pond we have places such as Barnes and Noble. Spend a lot of time running around, looking for nonexistent public toilets or a McDonald's.

3. Apparently ice and toilet paper are rare commodities.

2. Ass washers in Spain and Italy. Wtf.

3. Water. Good luck finding a drinking fountain in Italy or Spain. Also, no free water in resteraunts. Ask for water and they'll bring bottled and most won't give tap.

4. Naples is a shit hole. I loved the smell of trash in the morning.

5. **** the beaches of Barcelona at night (though, they are quite lovely in the day). And another **** you to the guy who tried to steal my bag. Lose some weight and maybe you can ride your bike faster.

6. $14 Big Mac meal in Switzerland. No thanks.

7. British food sucks.

8. Went to a free concert in Paris. Apparently a lot of big French artists were there. You think America's mainstream is bad? Oh god, listen to French pop some time...

10. This happened in Paris. Wtf is a Royal with Cheese? I wanted a Quarter Pounder.

All I can think of for now. Not too many bad things in Europe. If I listed everything I loved in Europe it would be in the thousands. One of the best experiences of my life .
Last edited by y0d4 at Jul 1, 2011,
Those "asswashers" , properly called a bidet, are amazing. I wish we had them here.

also, inb4 america vs europe
Last edited by SeveralSpecies at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Those "asswashers" , properly called a bidet, are amazing. I wish we had them here.

every time i see your name, i remember that guy who made the thread about traveling all over the world and "battling the most fierce animals on the planet"
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

How about actually doing something rather than asking everyone here questions?
Quote by kadinh
every time i see your name, i remember that guy who made the thread about traveling all over the world and "battling the most fierce animals on the planet"

I vaguely remember that thread.
Quote by Erik_Aero
What are we supposed to talk about? How much you whine?

Speaking of which, I would put wine under the "plus" side of the list. Italian over French, IMO. French is good, but seems too bland in comparison to a good Napa or Italian.

....wine war!

edit: every other comment so far is mine.....I'll take a timeout hahaha
You remind me of every loud American tourist I've ever met. I wanted to die when I went to Paris with my American cousin.

"CAN I GET SOME ICE OVER HERE? DON'T Y'ALLS SERVE ICE WITH SODA IN EUROPE? I JUST WANT SOME ICE OVER HERE PLEASE?"

I have never been so embarrassed all my life.
Quote by y0d4

3. Water. Good luck finding a drinking fountain in Italy or Spain. Also, no free water in resteraunts. Ask for water and they'll bring bottled and most won't give tap.

They won't give tap so that you don't get the shits. The water in a lot of these places isn't treated in the same way as the UK or US.

Also, it's restaurant.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Quote by y0d4
Never will I pay for a bodily function. Across the pond we have places such as Barnes and Noble.

I lol'd at this

The last time I was in Europe the only gripe I really had was the considerable difference in air quality
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
You remind me of every loud American tourist I've ever met. I wanted to die when I went to Paris with my American cousin.

"CAN I GET SOME ICE OVER HERE? DON'T Y'ALLS SERVE ICE WITH SODA IN EUROPE? I JUST WANT SOME ICE OVER HERE PLEASE?"

Yeaaaaa we're a bit spoiled with the ice thing. I can't imagine drinking soda without ice.
you went to Switzerland only to decide you wanted to eat at a McDonalds...
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
cool blog bro. you should have brought Eric_Fail. he would have solved all your problems.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

so you want to drink warm soda? that's weird...
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jul 1, 2011,

On behalf of the UK and Europe, I apologise for not catering to whiney, ignorant yanks such as yourself.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Just a qualm, not like I asked for it everywhere.
Quote by MatthiasSch
wow, you're cheap!

Things are just a lot cheaper in America so we value the objects at much less. I usually get a Big Mac meal large sized plus an additional Big Mac burger for like 7 or 8 dollars, and that's more than a lot of people are willing to pay for a fast food meal.

Europeans and Asians come into our store often and will by shoes when they're on vacation or whatever they're doing in Kansas City and I'll talk to them, and they usually tell me the shoes here are usually like half the cost of over in Europe or Asia.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Last edited by tayroar at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by blackflag49
Europeans should be nicer to Americans, we did save your asses from the Nazis ya know.

Twice.
There are places here that you must pay to use the bathroom in. I'd prepare for that by making sure wherever I am a customer at, that they have a bathroom.

Also apparently your opinion on French pop music differs greatly from the only other person I've known to comment on it, who said he thought it was miles better than what we have (which isn't hard to do)
Quote by Wesseem
you went to Switzerland only to decide you wanted to eat at a McDonalds...

To be fair I'd be curious to try Swiss McDonalds...like when I was in India, I ended up going to a McDonalds and having a Maharaja Mac

I imagine a Swiss Mac's got a bottle-opener and a magnifying glass.

Quote by y0d4

8. Went to a free concert in Paris. Apparently a lot of big French artists were there. You think America's mainstream is bad? Oh god, listen to French pop some time...

I may not want to listen to Alizee, but I sure as hell want to look at her.

Don't give me that Corsican shit...
Last edited by thewho65 at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by y0d4

Yeah I know, god, I hate it when I am FORCED to go to a free concert and upon arrival I am FORCED to listen to all the music and I am FORCIBLY prevented from leaving, cry cry cry.
Quote by blackflag49
Europeans should be nicer to Americans, we did save your asses from the Nazis ya know.

Get out of here with that. The French made our Revolution possible. Countries shouldn't be obliged to be nice to annoying people disrespecting their culture. If people leave the country and expect everything that's the norm here to be the norm there then they shouldn't have left the country.
Quote by theogonia777
cool blog bro. you should have brought Eric_Fail. he would have solved all your problems.

so you want to drink warm soda? that's weird...

It still comes out of the fridge. Lack of ice doesn't mean it's all melted since the drink has come out of the kettle

Anyway TS it sounds like you got treated like a stereotypical tourist because you were one. If you ate something other than takeaways you would have experienced nicer food. If you had done something other than visit money-driven tourist traps you could have found some free conveniences. If you had asked for tap water instead of just water you would have got it.

I could go to America and get bussed around a load of tourist sites and charged $15 for a bottle of water and only eat at McDonalds and then complain about it too, but it would be my own fault.
Quote by y0d4
7. British food sucks.

Better than American food
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Quote by blackflag49
How much money did you spend on the whole thing?

Around 3k for 5 weeks (all transport included). Stayed with relatives for around 5 days total but in hostels the rest. Ate at grocery stores a lot.
Quote by tayroar
Get out of here with that. The French made our Revolution possible. Countries shouldn't be obliged to be nice to annoying people disrespecting their culture. If people leave the country and expect everything that's the norm here to be the norm there then they shouldn't have left the country.

Afraid of the truth, commie??? You'd be singin "Oh Taunenbaum" every christmas if it weren't for us! Oh wait, you godless heathen atheist commie bastards don't celebrate the birth of our lord and savior!

Quote by Random88
Better than American food

Actually, we don't really have our own food, we just americanize other countries styles. And some of them are damn good. So, lolnah.
Last edited by SeveralSpecies at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by raoooos
Yeah I know, god, I hate it when I am FORCED to go to a free concert and upon arrival I am FORCED to listen to all the music and I am FORCIBLY prevented from leaving, cry cry cry.

I know right! Once I was went to this concert and it turned out I din't actually like the band, so I totally didn't leave.
RIP Adam
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It still comes out of the fridge. Lack of ice doesn't mean it's all melted since the drink has come out of the kettle

Anyway TS it sounds like you got treated like a stereotypical tourist because you were one. If you ate something other than takeaways you would have experienced nicer food. If you had done something other than visit money-driven tourist traps you could have found some free conveniences. If you had asked for tap water instead of just water you would have got it.

I could go to America and get bussed around a load of tourist sites and charged $15 for a bottle of water and only eat at McDonalds and then complain about it too, but it would be my own fault.

He did say it was one the best experiences of his life.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

This. Anywhere you go as a tourist, you're going to be treated like a tourist and you're probably going to be ripped off. Not to mention you won't actually experience the country or its culture.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Afraid of the truth, commie??? You'd be singin "Oh Taunenbaum" every christmas if it weren't for us! Oh wait, you godless heathen atheist commie bastards don't celebrate the birth of our lord and savior!

wait wut?
Quote by stratdud39
He did say it was one the best experiences of his life.

TS is a masochist, I will raise the incinerated bone of Dresden for my ice

Considering I never get any here....
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I guess it's a bit ironic that I (an American) absolutely despise ice in any beverage. After spending about 6 weeks in Germany when I was 9 or 10, I realized soda without ice is vastly superior.

Also, only stupid hicks (no offense to your cousin) say "y'alls;" most of us (meaning those from the South/Southwest) say "y'all," no "s." And, fun fact for the linguist: many hillbillies (rural Appalachians) use the term "y'ouns," not "y'all," as the plural form of you.

BUT, I do have to agree with TS about bidets. Even if I were to use one I'd want toilet paper; there's no fucking way I'm pulling my pants up with a wet ass crack.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Actually, we don't really have our own food, we just americanize other countries styles. And some of them are damn good. So, lolnah.

This is how I've felt. Like my brother in law is obsessed with eating Mexican food and Chinese food in the proper style, and I'm just like **** it, put it between two buns. I'm American and I'll eat like an American when I'm in my own country, dammit. (by the way I've found there is no food you can't put between two buns or in a tortilla)
Quote by thewho65
To be fair I'd be curious to try Swiss McDonalds...like when I was in India, I ended up going to a McDonalds and having a Maharaja Mac

I imagine a Swiss Mac's got a bottle-opener and a magnifying glass.

I may not want to listen to Alizee, but I sure as hell want to look at her.

Don't give me that Corsican shit...

you've convinced me. next time I visit any other country i'm hitting up their McDonalds
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----