what's the difference between the normal A chord and the A barre chord?
I know how they are played and all, but when I go find tabs for a song, do I play the open A chord or the barre versions? they sound different...

I do know how to play these chords, so don't be posting dumb stuff k?
normal A: 002220
barre A: 577655

Someone please explain in easy English as I'm not THAT familiar with music theory and stuff like that
Last edited by icecoldstar at Jul 1, 2011,
Well they share the same notes. Only difference ofcourse is that an open A chord has an open sound as it says. Also the barre A is played higher on the neck so the voicing of the chord will be a bit different. But it should not really sound that different from a regular A chord?
Guys I'm not a complete noob at guitar, and I DO know how to play these chords so plz dont spam the obvious

if you guys take out ur guitars and play it, you will see that open A and barre A sound completely different.
Well I agree they sound different, but it's hardly a major difference as they share the same notes...
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Its the same exact chord. The only thing that gives a different sound is the E on the 5 and A on the 5. Just go with what you feel when playing. It shouldnt sound that bad unless your on the 12th fret playing the A lol.
Quote by Deathro
Its the same exact chord. The only thing that gives a different sound is the E on the 5 and A on the 5. Just go with what you feel when playing. It shouldnt sound that bad unless your on the 12th fret playing the A lol.

haha i see what you are saying now, they are the same

btw can anyone explain what the deal is with all those A7 B7 chords and how to make those into barre chords?
I know to make a chord minor you just do this :

is there such a formula for making those "7" chords and "add9"s? Thanks guys
read a little bit up on theory dawg, it'll make you understand it better, and you'll be able to make any chord you want - with that F chord, you just fret the 1. fret on the D string instead of the 3rd, like barre it with your first finger, then you'll have a 7th chord