Quote by silly6-string
My rythm guy plays Am g f g. What scale can I solo over that with? Am pent?

listen to stairway to heven because its the same exact progression.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by silly6-string
Could do C pent also right?

No, the key is Am. So, Am pentatonic.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
A minor. It's not C major becuase the key isn't C major. If you compare a major scale against a minor, you'll find that they sound different.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
You could do c pentatonic, because you are the one playing it.

Also, a minor is the relative minor of c, so, it would change the way the progression sounds, but you could do it.

S longo as you like it.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by vampirelazarus
You could do c pentatonic, because you are the one playing it.

Also, a minor is the relative minor of c, so, it would change the way the progression sounds, but you could do it.

S longo as you like it.

It wouldn't change it at all, whatever you play over it, you'll be playing A minor.
So A minor sounds the same as C major?

Quote by liampje
Quote by vampirelazarus
So A minor sounds the same as C major?

Depends how you use them and depends if there is a tonal centre.

Anyway, you can use C major, A minor, Am pentatonic or Cm pentatonic over [look at the modes too].

You could solo in a different key [super imposing].
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz

Anyway, you can use C major, A minor, Am pentatonic or Cm pentatonic over [look at the modes too].

You're not playing C anything over it. It's in A minor, therefore whatever you play you'll be playing A minor.
True....

Quote by liampje
Quote by Woffelz

Just need some single notes that would stick out
Ty
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
I have a sneaking suspicion that when people suggest Cmaj pentatonic or the C major scale, they're thinking more the shape of the scale on guitar as opposed to the actual notes and the tonal center.

And, actually, you could play c major over it, just like you could play anything you wanted over that progression. Now, because the chords are centered around A minor, your best bet is to play something in A minor.

I'm assuming that the F and G chords are major chords, so assuming that they're standard CAGED chords, you've got
A minor: A, E, and C
G major: G, B, and D
F major: F, C, and A
Whatever scale you end up using, you'll want it to include those notes. Because you're starting on A minor, it's pretty safe to say that you're going to want to focus on using the A minor scale and the A minor pentatonic.
Quote by Geldin

And, actually, you could play c major over it, just like you could play anything you wanted over that progression. Now, because the chords are centered around A minor, your best bet is to play something in A minor.

Because the Key is Am, anything that's called a C Major at best is the note equivalent of what would work IF the Key were C Major. But functionally, regardless of what you call it, unless you call it A minor, its a misnomer, because it only can function as Am until the key itself changes to C Major. Say you were playing Am F Dm ...all good, Am - Even throw an E in there for a V-I resolution. All good.

Pull a G7 to C move, and Am is most likely no longer the scale or key for this context.

Best,

Sean