I'm slowly building a stratocaster, and I almost always stick to the bridge pickup on strats. Never been a huge fan of the other two pickups on a stratocaster, so I figure I should do something different with them (The middle and neck pickups). So my question is why don't I see this more often (Putting humbuckers/whatever on the neck or middle spots of a strat)? Am I missing something? I know it's been done but I almost never see it. Thanks.
Last edited by ZeppMSU at Jul 1, 2011,
It's just not popular. You either see HSS or HH. Or on the Dave Murray Strat, HSH. The Strat has always been a single-coil guitar traditionally, so it's not usually associated with humbuckers.

I mean, why do you usually see a humbucker in the neck position on a Tele, but rarely the bridge? It's just how things are.

And I'm not fond of middle humbuckers at all, personally. Too bulky. Doesn't give you a lot of room to pick in.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Jul 1, 2011,
I think that there are people who like SSS configurations or HSS configurations, and there are people who like HH or HSH configurations of pickups. I think people who like HH or HSH type configurations just tend to do something different than a strat. For what it is worth, there are all kinds of HH or HSH superstrats around. There are also a few HH strats - I know Squier makes some, anyway. I like the single coils a lot for clean rhythm parts and for certain melodic lines because it just rings better for me than a humbucker, but to each their own and all that jazz.
i figured i was just the position you were most likely to use a humbucker. i mean, if you want a HB sound chances are you are gonna want it in the bridge where it's aggressive tendencies tend to stick out...

but then again, you could just as easily ask "why do you normally find HB's in the neck position on telecasters"...
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Well, the strat is traditionally SSS. I always thought they just created an HSS variant to appeal to the more aggressive rock scene that was blooming in that era. That same scene also pretty much only used the bridge pickup. I mean, it was that kind of genre that eventually led to the idea of guitars with only one pickup, a humbucker, in the bridge position.

As for why Fender doesn't make more HH or HSH Strats, it's just not their thing. They have a few, but nothing in their normal repertoire. Fender primarily makes vintagey flavored guitars in the vein of their original 50s models. That's their market. They don't want to compete with all the companies making modern stuff.
Quote by Seref
Well, the strat is traditionally SSS. I always thought they just created an HSS variant to appeal to the more aggressive rock scene that was blooming in that era. That same scene also pretty much only used the bridge pickup. I mean, it was that kind of genre that eventually led to the idea of guitars with only one pickup, a humbucker, in the bridge position.

As for why Fender doesn't make more HH or HSH Strats, it's just not their thing. They have a few, but nothing in their normal repertoire. Fender primarily makes vintagey flavored guitars in the vein of their original 50s models. That's their market. They don't want to compete with all the companies making modern stuff.

Yeah, but you could hardly say they never make improvements to their classic models. An American Strat these days is a very different beast than one from the '50s and '60s unless it's a reissue or a signature model that's meant to be vintagey. Especially the American Deluxe series.
Well yeah I'm not saying they're as good or better, just saying that they make their guitars in the style of their classics. That's what people want from Fender, so that's what Fender gives.
there appears to be a bit of speculation on why fender does what it does, but it seems like there is nothing to really back it up.

the strat started the single HB in the bridge trend? not the les pauls and gibsons that already have HB's in the bridge? and whats this 'single HB in the bridge' trend anyway? in the 50's it was pretty common to see many electrics with a single pup.

(Invalid img)

i guess those are all in the neck position, which would be a completely different trend.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Why don't Les Pauls have single coils?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Why don't Les Pauls have single coils?

They do! They have 4 of them
Quote by Wisthekiller
If not trolling (winky face makes me think it): P90s are single coils...

Well....P90s are P90s......they are single coils but no-one groups them with the rest. Holy Katana, I was not aware of that.

And I tried being a smart ass
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Jul 1, 2011,
to me it seems like strats are one of the "go to" guitars for single coil sounds. but some guys have strats and want to play metal or hard rock, so they put a humbucker in the bridge because that will get them the clearest, most aggressive, thick tone.

on the other hand, it seems like telecaster users want that bright twangy tone that is associated with teles. but sometimes they want warmer tones. so they put the humbucker in the neck because it will give a fatter, warmer tone while still allowing that classic tele bridge single coil sound.

and on the topic of humbucker in general, it seems like most people who want humbuckers in their guitars just buy guitars that arent strats. this probably started with availability back in the day. there were probably only single coil strats and not many options for aftermarket pckups, so they would just buy a gibson/charvel/kramer/etc for humbuckers. and this trend just kind of continued over time

that's my theory haha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
you don't see a lot of non standard options from Fender because they don't sell well for Fender. over the years they have tried all kinds of things but much like the Les Paul ,guitar players want the more traditional set ups from these models (as well as others like a telecaster for instance). bear in mind tha Fender currently owns the Charvel and Jackson brands that are better known for a variety of pickups types and configurations.
Quote by gumbilicious
there appears to be a bit of speculation on why fender does what it does, but it seems like there is nothing to really back it up.

the strat started the single HB in the bridge trend? not the les pauls and gibsons that already have HB's in the bridge? and whats this 'single HB in the bridge' trend anyway? in the 50's it was pretty common to see many electrics with a single pup.

Not sure if that was directed at me, but I didn't say Fender started the single bridge humbucker thing. As far as I know it was Eddie Van Halen to kick that off by only installing one humbucker in the bridge of a Strat body and then everyone just imitated it.

But what I did say is that Fender created an HSS guitar as a response to the more aggressive music of a certain time period, the mid-to late 70s and then the 80s. People had been modding Strats to take a humbucker in the bridge for some time throughout the 70s, then CBS Fender cashed in. People wanted humbuckers for the fatness and the output, so they made a model with a humbucker. The reasoning as to why Fender don't make a standard HH or HSH Stratocaster as asked by the TS, I believe to be because those heavier genres that Fender was trying to appeal to don't often use much other than the bridge pickup, even for leads, and so making an HH/HSH model would have been a waste of money. And so because those genres don't use much other than the bridge pickup, guitars were eventually developed by other companies that only had a bridge pickup.

At any rate, at least one guitar with a single pickup in the bridge has existed since the early 50s--the Esquire. In recent years they've put a hidden pickup under the pickguard though. The movement of using a single pickup, a high output humbucker, in the bridge of usually-tremolo-equipped guitars happened in the 80s.
Last edited by Seref at Jul 1, 2011,
i've seen a modified stratocaster not so long ago which has SHS setup, but really the factory just puts it SSS or HSS because you tend to play more rock stuff on the bridge pickup. at least thats what i always thought to be the reason. if you want something different just alter you pickguard or buy a piece of plastic material and carve/saw you're own out with you're desired routing.
I would have thought it was because the bridge position is the one that needs thickening up the most.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Simply because it would defeat the purpose. if you want HB tones, why are you playing a Strat?

That said, Jackson pretty much nails nails the middle ground.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by InanezGuitars44
to me it seems like strats are one of the "go to" guitars for single coil sounds. but some guys have strats and want to play metal or hard rock, so they put a humbucker in the bridge because that will get them the clearest, most aggressive, thick tone.

on the other hand, it seems like telecaster users want that bright twangy tone that is associated with teles. but sometimes they want warmer tones. so they put the humbucker in the neck because it will give a fatter, warmer tone while still allowing that classic tele bridge single coil sound.

and on the topic of humbucker in general, it seems like most people who want humbuckers in their guitars just buy guitars that arent strats. this probably started with availability back in the day. there were probably only single coil strats and not many options for aftermarket pckups, so they would just buy a gibson/charvel/kramer/etc for humbuckers. and this trend just kind of continued over time

that's my theory haha

Nothing more to say...you hit the nail on the head