Page 1 of 11
Today we had a group of American college students come over from the states to gig around the UK. They usually tour around America but this year they wanted to do something different which I think is a really cool thing to do.

They're part of a program called 'School of Rock' or 'Rock School' and I think they said they're from Philadelphia(?) also they're all around 13 - 18. Anyway, they played their set and hung around for awhile so we could talk to them and jam and I was itching to ask about Obama because I know a few Americans with different opinions about it and I would have liked to have heard it from an American perspective. So I asked this 16 year old guy with his 17 year old friend what they thought of Obama. He responded with "He's black". Now I must stress that he said it in a very disapproving, highly racist way that I can't paraphrase or explain into words how he acted or how he said it, but it was definitely racist. Also his friend casually nodded and agreed with it.

I'm just wondering, is this a common shared thought with Americans? I don't ask to stereotype or anything I'm just generally interested (and shocked) about his and peoples reactions. In England we tend to be PC and we don't get a lot of racism over here (not a lot that I run into anyway) and I couldn't believe how blatant and casual they were about it. Apparently Philadelphia is in the south or on/bellow the 'bible belt'? Apparently that has something to do with it.

So is this kind of thing common? Like I said I don't mean to stereotype or offend.

- EDIT -

Okay, Philadelphia is from the north, I don't know where I got that information from.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
Last edited by Brownerz at Jul 1, 2011,
There are some very racist people in America, some very un-racist people in America. Same as every country.
Philadelphia is not in the south or the bible belt. It's just south of New York City. The kid was just a dick
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Philly is in the North, nowhere near the Bible belt, and is a fairly black city.

This obviously isn't how the majority of Americans think, as Obama received the majority of the popular vote in '08.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Philly is North-East America, nowhere near the Bible Belt. And no, that isn't a common sentiment, especially up in that part of the country. They are just douchebags.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Philly is definitely not in the bible belt, and most Americans aren't racist. You just met a couple of assholes that I'd prefer didn't go overseas to represent us
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Yea my brother is like that. A guy passes us on the freeway using the shoulder (since his exit was just a few hundred feet up) and my brother just goes "That's why I hate black people."

....****ing disgusting. Anyone who considers themselves better than anyone else based on such trivial things like race or nationality is a ****ing idiot.
Seems like you just happened to run across one of the racist dicks here in America. It's different from person to person. I personally have no qualms about his skin color, or anyone else's for that matter.

EDIT:

Quote by SeveralSpecies
....****ing disgusting. Anyone who considers themselves better than anyone else based on such trivial things like race or nationality is a ****ing idiot.

+6
All you need is yo' fingers and the strings
Last edited by ned216 at Jul 1, 2011,
Philadelphia is home to the second-largest Jamaican population in the U.S. Pennsylvania even went Obama in 2008

For some reason it sounds to me like they were just trying to rile you or something, which makes me think they were suburban Philadelphian kids...
Last edited by thewho65 at Jul 1, 2011,
Ah my mistake about Philadelphia then, I don't know much about the position of the states.

Yeah, I hope they were by chance assholes.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
Quote by rgrockr
Philly is definitely not in the bible belt, and most Americans aren't racist. You just met a couple of assholes that I'd prefer didn't go overseas to represent us

this.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by Brownerz
Today we had a group of American college students come over from the states to gig around the UK. They usually tour around America but this year they wanted to do something different which I think is a really cool thing to do.

They're part of a program called 'School of Rock' or 'Rock School' and I think they said they're from Philadelphia(?) also they're all around 13 - 18. Anyway, they played their set and hung around for awhile so we could talk to them and jam and I was itching to ask about Obama because I know a few Americans with different opinions about it and I would have liked to have heard it from an American perspective. So I asked this 16 year old guy with his 17 year old friend what they thought of Obama. He responded with "He's black". Now I must stress that he said it in a very disapproving, highly racist way that I can't paraphrase or explain into words how he acted or how he said it, but it was definitely racist. Also his friend casually nodded and agreed with it.

I'm just wondering, is this a common shared thought with Americans? I don't ask to stereotype or anything I'm just generally interested (and shocked) about his and peoples reactions. In England we tend to be PC and we don't get a lot of racism over here (not a lot that I run into anyway) and I couldn't believe how blatant and casual they were about it. Apparently Philadelphia is in the south or on/bellow the 'bible belt'? Apparently that has something to do with it.

So is this kind of thing common? Like I said I don't mean to stereotype or offend.

America is weird with race. I like to think that most young people don't care nearly as much about race as their parents or grandparents did. That isn't always the case. I encounter a lot of white kids who dislike blacks and a lot of blacks who hate whites and Asians who seem to have disdain for non-Asians. But in a lot of cases, it's not so much outright racism and more just cultural elitism. A lot of black people complained that Obama wasn't "black enough" to attract the black vote in the 2008 election, for example. Other cultural stereotypes like that exist in large numbers over here.

Consider also that most American politicians lived through the Civil Rights movement and remember living in a time when racism or racial discrimination were the norm rather than the exception. There are a lot of racial tensions in America. Then consider that the extreme-right wing of America thrives on fear tactics, many of which hint at racism (though they never outright say anything nor will they ever admit to it) and encourage a fear of anyone who isn't as "American as white bread" (emphasis on the white).

Racism in America is a lot more acceptable than is in the rest of the world it seems. That doesn't mean that racism is the rule over here or for Americans abroad, but old ways die hard over here.
Yeah there's a good deal of racism, but half of it is probably supposedly in jest. Doesn't make it any better, since once they start joking about it they usually start meaning it, but that's what happens when you run into ignorant 16 year olds anywhere.
Last edited by D&DLover at Jul 1, 2011,
One of my best friends, who lives in Scotland, constantly makes jokes about black people. (There's only like six black people in Scotland, etc.) Stop nationalizing stuff. Some people are racist, some people like to joke about things.

Additionally, being "PC" is ****ing stupid. You should act on an ethical scale; being so concerned over word-choice/implied meaning is a stupid thing to get caught up in.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

we are not racist. its usually the wetbags or naggers that paint us as racist because they think we have more rights than them. black people should stop blasting rap and pull up their pants if they dont want pulled over jeez.
Quote by turncoat60%
we are not racist. its usually the wetbags or naggers that paint us as racist because they think we have more rights than them. black people should stop blasting rap and pull up their pants if they dont want pulled over jeez.

Quote by Baby Joel
There are some very racist people in America, some very un-racist people in America. Same as every country.

This

The UK isn't exactly a saint is it?
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Philly? In the South? Who the fuck told you that? It's in Pennsylvania, which is in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast (more Mid-Atlantic than Northeast). Philly's in the southeast part of Pennsylvania, but it's not in the South.

It'd be like me saying Liverpool was in southern England.

And yes, there are a lot of racist Americans. But may I remind you that there are quite a few racists in the UK as well?
Quote by Brownerz

Apparently Philadelphia is in the south or on/bellow the 'bible belt'? Apparently that has something to do with it.

Philadelphia is in the northeast. If they were white, and actually from the city, it's not surprising. Most urban areas in the US have extremely poor race relations. If they were from just outside the city (where I live), they're probably just rednecks.

In any case, Americans are quite racist, despite their emphatic denials, and institutional racism is rampant and isn't going away any time soon. I will note, however, that much of the so-called casual racism of average citizens is directed at Hispanics (some morons insist on calling any "brown person" Mexican) and Arabs more than African Americans. Even so, African Americans get a pretty shit deal here in the States; by basically any sociological metric being born anything other than white is a severe handicap in the US.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
People joke around over here, only really because nobody knows what a black person looks like.
Almost everybody I know is pro-Obama, though.
EDIT: for the record, I don't joke around about race.
Now that I think about it, kids say something fucking terrible things to each other regarding race and religion, but they always seem to convince themselves that the person there "kidding" with doesn't care and is totally "cool with it". Kids go over the line with racist jokes and shit, but that's about it.
Last edited by stratdud39 at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by Silent Murder
This

The UK isn't exactly a saint is it?

Yeah, didn't you guys vote like a few members of the BNP into office? There entire platform seems to be based around racism.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Das_Skittles
Philadelphia is in the northeast. If they were white, and actually from the city, it's not surprising. Most urban areas in the US have extremely poor race relations. If they were from just outside the city (where I live), they're probably just rednecks.

In any case, Americans are quite racist, despite their emphatic denials, and institutional racism is rampant and isn't going away any time soon. I will note, however, that much of the so-called casual racism of average citizens is directed at Hispanics (some morons insist on calling any "brown person" Mexican) and Arabs more than African Americans. Even so, African Americans get a pretty shit deal here in the States; by basically any sociological metric being born anything other than white is a severe handicap in the US.

lol
I'm not saying that the UK doesn't have any racist qualities, I'm just trying to talk about how it is in America.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90

Check out my band!
Quote by turncoat60%
lol

You're from Pittsburgh. I rest my case.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Quote by turncoat60%
lol

Actually, that's a good point. Pittsburgh does suck.

/ravens fan

edit: I know I know, you have more super bowls, I'm just foolin around.
The argument in the UK is such that - and this isn't my view i'd like to say - is such that there's the occasional hint that we're so keen to keep the racial scales right, that we'd cost ourselves in the process. Such as 'MUST HAVE BLACK PERSON IN THIS COMPANY TO SATISFY GOVERNMENT', purely because it's PC to do so.

I don't actually believe that, but i've heard it from a few quiet corners. I don't particular agree with it, it's all circumstantial regardless.

And America from my perspective atleast, seems to have this HUGE polarization when it comes to racial/political/social matters. And sadly it also appears the majority are ill-informed.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Only a handful of idiots are that bad, however, a lot of people like to stress the fact that he's black for some reason.
Quote by SeveralSpecies

/ravens fan

hey its not the ravens fault the nfl put them in the same division as us
Quote by SeveralSpecies

/ravens fan

Even New Jersey knows Pittsburgh sucks

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Quote by Das_Skittles
Even New Jersey knows Pittsburgh sucks

New Jersey is spectacular. I don't think I like your tone
America is just as racist as every other place in the world.

It's true that illegals are despised for the most part, but it's only coincidental that most of them are not white.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Yeah, I'm in America and I've known tons of people who are racist/prejudiced. It isn't pretty...

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
New Jersey is spectacular. I don't think I like your tone

Which part would that be? Camden? The Shore? North Jersey? Trenton?

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Quote by Das_Skittles
Which part would that be? Camden? The Shore? North Jersey? Trenton?

North/Central Jersey is lovely. Specifically the town I'm in. Camden is just Philly's sphincter, so we don't really consider that Jersey lol. The shore is smelly but not TOO horrible. And yea, trenton sucks lol.

But everything else is really good.
Quote by bradulator

It's true that illegals are despised for the most part, but it's only coincidental that most of them are not white.

My family and a lot of people I know think that the words Hispanic, Mexican, and illegal are all synonymous. We were in another state a couple of weeks ago and one of the things my dad said is "One thing I noticed about this place is there are no Hispanics taking jobs like they are at home."
Quote by bradulator

I really doubt that.
Quote by Brownerz
I'm not saying that the UK doesn't have any racist qualities, I'm just trying to talk about how it is in America.

It's worse than most Americans would like to admit, I'll say that.