Greetings

I'm trying to learn a new song and mainly got everything down except one part, it seems simple (and it probably is.. i'm relatively new to playing). When i try the part that i have to repeat 6 times the sound doesn't come out right.

1st part

2nd part

What I'm currently trying is to keep my index finger on the 4th fret of the G string, my middle finger on the 5th fret of the D and G string and my pinky on the 7th fret of the G string. Lifting up my middle finger depending what fret i have to play on the G string. However when I try this the sound is fairly horrible. Also switching in a fluent movement from the 5th fret on the D string while letting it ring to the 4th string on the G string doesn't seem to be that great.

Is the finger positioning i'm opting the best one to play this or are there more easier/better ways for playing this part?

Thank you in advance

Logic is Hard

P.S Sorry if this is not the correct place to post such a question.. I have no idea where else I should put it (new to the forums).

Edit: I can play the part now (all be it slowly), I'm wondering how to properly transition from the chord that I have to leave ringing without ****ing up the sound. Any thoughts on this are welcome.
Last edited by Logic is hard at Jul 3, 2011,
Here's what I'd do:

Index for 4th fret on G
Middle for 5th fret on D
Ring for 5th fret on G
Pinky for 7th fret on G

This way you're utilizing all four fingers and it's the most ergonomic and comfortable fingering, in my opinion. You can also try to switch your fingering between the two bars, but since you're saying you're fairly new to guitar playing, it'll probalby be easier to try it like I wrote above.

Hope it helps, I remember how big a bitch figuring out fingering was in the early days of my playing guitar.
Listen to my songs!

Hate Unleashed
"The song itself is simply awesome." - British Steel about Hate Unleashed
"Really good." - DarkTom666 about Hate Unleashed
A Pleasant Point

Crit for crit
Quote by Ed T H
Here's what I'd do:

Index for 4th fret on G
Middle for 5th fret on D
Ring for 5th fret on G
Pinky for 7th fret on G

Thanks for the suggestion! That seems to be an easier way! I just have to get used to the reach I have to overcome with my pinky since so far I hardly used it. Should be good practice though!
working the pinky is key....especially when you are just starting out. its easier to use it and suck now, than to go back a year or two from now when you start to get proficient and have to re-learn everything over again. you can learn some scales; that will get you using all your fingers, but gets boring quickly. Also, try some open chord shapes using your pinky, like D or G are good ones to use the pinky as it can make switching to certain other open chords easier (IMO) and will be useful when you get into slash chords and what not.