So, I'm thinking about changing the pickups on my guitar. I have an EMG 81/81 set up, and that's not very versatile, amirite. So, I want to exchange the neck 81 for a EMG 60, and I've heard that some EMGs are solderless, but I'm confused to which ones are and aren't. If my guitar was made in 2008, will I need to go out and buy a soldering iron, or am I good without one? Thanks in advance!
EMG's have been solderless for quite some time IIRC, so all you will need to do is buy the pickup, and then swap it out, IE: Take out and unplug the old 81, and plug in the 60 and put it all back together.
Why don't you try to remove the EMG on your guitar and see if it's detachable or not. Before you put the order on that EMG 60 ask the seller if it has the connector port or not just to be safe.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

IMO I dont think you'll notice THAT much of a tone difference between EMGs. Just my 2 cents though..
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
IMO I dont think you'll notice THAT much of a tone difference between EMGs. Just my 2 cents though..

Why?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by JAHellraiser

That's baloney. I've done it and 60 is better in the neck.

Go for it OP and be sure the arrow on the plug is outside on the pup.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
I thought the EMG X series were the solderless ones...
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Roc8995
EMGs were not solderless in 2008.

The actual pickups are, the wires connecting to the pots arent.

My Explorer had them fitted in late 2005 and it has solderless ones it in?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I think it depends on the guitar. MIC and MIK guitars with EMGs stock seem to always be soldered in. MIA and MIJ guitars that have EMGs stock seem to use the solderless system for newer guitars or the quick connect system for older guitars.

All you gotta do to tell what you have is open up the back of the guitar and you'll easily see whether you have the solderless system, quick connectors or if it's all soldered in hardway.
I bought some "solderless" EMG X pickups. They make the wires so short that you have to custom solder your own cables... would've just rather had normal solder pickups.
Quote by Tom 1.0
The actual pickups are, the wires connecting to the pots arent.

My Explorer had them fitted in late 2005 and it has solderless ones it in?

This. I think people are getting confused about this. The actual pickups should have the quick connect, which means you can just pull the 81 off (actual pickup8, it won't have any wires coming from it), and the plug the 60 in, and you should never have to worry about opening the back of your guitar.

The Solderless system refers to the actual pots etc. all being quick connect, so it's all completely electronic, no soldering involved (except maybe the selector switch, not sure if the switch is or not). It's a really damn nice system.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I recently put ZW Set 81-85 quick connect in 2 of my guitars. And if I remember I only had to make 1 wire longer to the output jack. Other than that I have a 3-way Switchcraft toggle switch on both guitars so I did have to solder the switch everything else is quick connect. The 2 guitars that I put EMG's in was a 83' RR Jackson and a 81' Custom Gibson Les Paul. It's very clean and look's nice when done right. I also got 2 new guitars 2011 ESP Jeff Hanneman a month ago and 3 days ago I got a 2011 ESP V II and both of those guitars have EMG pups but does not have the quick connect pot's. The really cool thing about using quick connect pups is I can switch to my SD Blackouts in 5min with out taking the strings out. I have tried many pups and I've licked the EMG the best so far. But it's fun switching every once in a while just for fun and in 5min pups are in and I'm playing. lol But then while I'm playing I'll be saying awwww what happened to that cool sound get them Blackouts outa there. 5min EMG are back in. Here is a pic of my Gibson Custom EMG install w/18v. mod. I did the 18v. mod to my Jackson also but I had to go thru hell to do it because there is no room in the control cavity for the batt. So I had to order 3 new shorter pot's because the SW Set comes with long shaft pot's. and I also had to get a new Switchcraft 3-way switch and take the 3-way Left Angle Switchcraft out and put in a new Short Switchcraft 3-way toggle switch. And trust me finding a true quality 3-way Switchcraft Shorty was not easy at all. I got a non Switchcraft shorty 3-way toggle but I didn't like the quality of it at all. So I kept searching for the shorty Switchcraft 3-way after searching for days finally found a hi quality short switchcraft at it was nice. big difference between the 2 switches. I'm just very picky about what I use on my guitars it does have an effect on the sound. But yea those quick connect pups have a pre-amp module that come with it so I'm not sure how you set it up with 1 soldered pup and one quick connect pup

the only thing left to do is put the output jack on and that's it you can see the out put jack hanging over the guitar bottom right side.
Attachments:
gibson mod.jpg
Last edited by shredspillers at Jul 1, 2011,
Hey shredspillers, since you are so picky about what goes into your guitar, would you recommend doing the 18v mod? What are the advantages in your point of view?
Quote by supersac
if you can easily unplug the guitar it is solderless

nope. had mine put in last year, but it still has that kink to plug in my lead. easiest way is to take out the pickup and look under for a quick connect connecter. its just a coupel screws.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by hconn
Hey shredspillers, since you are so picky about what goes into your guitar, would you recommend doing the 18v mod? What are the advantages in your point of view?

Yes if you have room for the 2 batt. I would definately do it. It sounds much better than the 9v. you get more head room. You can actually use up to 24v. on EMG pups. But the difference between the 18v & 24v mod isn't worth the trouble. But the 18v. sounds much better IMO I wouldn't of ordered new shorter pots and a new Switchcraft shorty if it didn't sound any better. If you can do it go for it. give your sound more chunk!
Quote by hconn
I think the standard advantages are 'more headroom' and 'more clarity'. I guess 'less compressed' is a good description to use. I'll just say that I wouldn't use my 808s without the 18v mod any more.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221