So I've been working on learning sweep picking for a couple months now and I'm getting pretty smooth at it. The problem I'm having is that most of the songs I know that have sweeping sections have big 5 or 6 string sweeps and I'm just not smooth enough at that many strings yet in my opinion and I don't want to start trying them yet until I am.

So I guess what I'm asking is what are some songs with some 3-4 string sweeps that I can practice on since I've about run through most of the chord patterns that I can think of?

Any help would be much appreciated.
How about this?

|---3---|  |--3--|  |--3--|  |--3--|  |--3--|  |--3--|  |--3--|  |--3--|
   S  S    S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S
|-24-19------------19-20-17----------17-19-15----------15-17-14----------14-|
|---------20----20----------19----19----------17----17----------16----16----|
|------------21----------------20----------------16----------------17-------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
   |---3---|  |---3---|  |---3---|  |---3---|  |---3---|  |---3---|
   S  S    S  S  S    S  S  S    S  S  S    S  S  S    S  S  S    S   Q
|-15-12--------------12-15-12--------------12-14-11--------------11-/23--------||
|---------13----13--------------12----12--------------12----12----------------o||
|------------12--------------------12--------------------11--------------------||
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------o||
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------||

It's from Children of Bodom - Kissing the Shadows and is played super fast, but just try playing it at 10-25% speed and working from there.
Last edited by farmosh203 at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by Warrior47
So I've been working on learning sweep picking for a couple months now and I'm getting pretty smooth at it. The problem I'm having is that most of the songs I know that have sweeping sections have big 5 or 6 string sweeps and I'm just not smooth enough at that many strings yet in my opinion and I don't want to start trying them yet until I am.

So I guess what I'm asking is what are some songs with some 3-4 string sweeps that I can practice on since I've about run through most of the chord patterns that I can think of?

Any help would be much appreciated.

You really shouldn't be thinking about learning sweep picking unless you know the theory behind it.

In short:
Sweeping is a technique used to fluidly play linear arpeggios over several strings. An arpeggio is, in layman's terms, a broken up chord. So, for example, a C major chord might be played as follows:
e-0
B-1
G-0
D-2
A-3
E--

A C major arpeggio contains those same notes (C, E and G), but played separately rather than together. Hence, a simple C major arpeggio might be played as follows:
e-------------12
B----------13---
G-------12------
D----14---------
A-15------------
E---------------

That is exactly that same as the chord, except that it's an octave up.

You can play multiple notes on each string, of course, so you can play a full single-octave arpeggio on three strings as opposed to four. For example, a simple C major arpeggio on the top three strings may be played as follows:
e------15-20p15h-----
B----17---------17---
G-17---------------17
D--------------------
A--------------------
E--------------------

Which is an arpeggio containing the notes C, E and G.

If you want to learn how to do sweep picking and how to use it in a context, you'll want to learn how to construct chords and how to make them into arpeggios. Asking for "sweep shapes" is completely useless, since shapes are dependent on tuning and you don't learn how to use them or what an arpeggio is or how to construct them from a shape.

I could have been an asshole and given you this shape:
E-----------------12h15h20p15p12----------------
C---------------12--------------12--------------
G-------------12------------------12------------
C--------12h16----------------------16p12-------
G------12--------------------------------12-----
C-12h16------------------------------------16p12

That's a C major shape in Open c tuning. Practice that.
Thank you farmosh. That is perfect.

As for Geldin, I know the theory behind sweep picking. I know that they are mostly arpeggiated chords. I'm not trying to memorize shapes, I'm just looking for examples of it used in songs because I've been burning through a lot of different chord shapes and positions and I'm trying to find new ones to play to work on my technique. After making up my own patterns for a while, I'm looking for some fresh examples because I've started to start repeating myself and they were becoming kind of stale and not pushing me very hard.
Really, sweeping is a very limited technique. There are only so many different ways you can contort your fingers to form patterns across the neck. Quite honestly, it's less important to memorize patterns as it is to get good at writing different chord progressions as sweeping passages and incorporating sweeping into an alternate/economy picking or tapping passage.