So yeah.

I've been playing 8 years, and my parents are having me look at a new guitar as a graduation gift. I play shredding type stuff, but at college I'm looking to maybe be a music major and I'll likely be playing mainly jazz. So I need it to be versatile.

I currently have a Jackson Dinky, and I like the way the neck feels on that. I guess I'm into thin necks. I went to a Sam Ash and tried out a few Strats that I didn't really like, and a $2000 Les Paul that I didn't really like either.

My favorite right now is a $1600 used Parker Nitefly Mojo (from the pictures it only seemed lightly used). But I haven't had the chance to try it out as I'll have to drive a while to get to it. Still, I like what I've read and heard: thin neck, light body, good sound, and versatile. I've had multiple guitar teachers with Parkers who love them. I was also looking a bit at EVH guitars, but I've heard that they won't do jazz at all. And I loved an Ibanez Paul Gilbert signature when I played it, but same thing - won't do jazz.

Ideas?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at Jul 1, 2011,
I'd get it custom made. Find out who's building guitars in your area. If you don't find anybody local, you could go the Warmoth route.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
You're probably better off just getting a guitar you want, and if you can't find one, you probably don't need a new guitar. I could tell you to get an RR24 because it's awesome but you'll probably tell me it sucks because it has one pickup, so just find a guitar you think looks cool and make sure it has a thin neck (since you like that).
are you looking for a guitar that can do it all or do some things better than others?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Ever thought of a second hand PRS Custom 24?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by JAHellraiser
are you looking for a guitar that can do it all or do some things better than others?

Well I guess jazz and shred. So like a fast neck and like, hot pickups or whatever's necessary. And smooth, warm cleans for jazz.

Quote by LP_CL
Ever thought of a second hand PRS Custom 24?

I haven't. I tried out a PRS once upon a time and I didn't really like it, but I think that was a lower end PRS. I'll make sure to give it a try, thanks.

Quote by farmosh203
You're probably better off just getting a guitar you want, and if you can't find one, you probably don't need a new guitar. I could tell you to get an RR24 because it's awesome but you'll probably tell me it sucks because it has one pickup, so just find a guitar you think looks cool and make sure it has a thin neck (since you like that).

Well it's not really about looks. For me feel comes first and sound comes second, and those are really the only two things that matter to me. The reason I wouldn't really want a guitar like a RR24 is because, like I said, the requirement of jazz. They're not exactly what I'm looking for in terms of versatility.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at Jul 1, 2011,
Have you tried any Ibanez Prestiges?

EDIT: Or a Jackson SL1, if you like Jacksons?

Also keep in mind that pickup swaps can get you pretty much any sound you want/need.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 1, 2011,
you seem to have a conflict of interest here, shred guitars usually aren't the best option for jazz and vise versa. hot shred pups aren't going to be good for jazz. what you really need to do is to lok at guitars with medium output pickups that will work reasonably for both ends of the spectrum. when you say jazz what exactly will you be playing. like metal jazz is a pretty broad term.
Quote by monwobobbo
you seem to have a conflict of interest here, shred guitars usually aren't the best option for jazz and vise versa. hot shred pups aren't going to be good for jazz. what you really need to do is to lok at guitars with medium output pickups that will work reasonably for both ends of the spectrum. when you say jazz what exactly will you be playing. like metal jazz is a pretty broad term.

I don't really know how to answer that. Like stuff out of the real book? That's pretty broad.

This is kind of just making me want the Parker more. I'm pretty sure it can do both.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Soccerguy
Check out Carvin.com. Some real nice customs.
This is what I was going to say. You can get a pretty bangin' guitar for less than $2000 from Carvin, made directly to your specs.
Parkers are nice guitars. They play nice and sound nice my friend has one and it also has a piezzo in the bridge. They are just so damn ugly!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Sonicxlover
I was also looking a bit at EVH guitars, but I've heard that they won't do jazz at all. And I loved an Ibanez Paul Gilbert signature when I played it, but same thing - won't do jazz.

There's no reason those guitars won't do jazz. They'll do them just as well as anything else. Jazz is a style of playing. Jazz players play on a variety of instruments. There's no specific tone associated with it. Some play with solid-bodies, others play with hollow-bodies. Some play with humbuckers, others play with single-coils. You can play jazz on a Jackson Warrior just fine if you wanted to. It may look funny but it's frankly not very different from most guitars out there. The main difference is the aesthetics. It's a solid-body guitar with humbuckers like half of the other electric guitars on the market. The sound won't vary that much. You just need a good amp for it. I would take a Schecter Hellraiser with EMGs and a Floyd Rose with a JC-120 over a George Benson sig and a VHT Pitbull for Jazz. The amp will produce the jazz tone more than anything else.
Check out Warmoth, as previously mentioned.... I got a custom tele off there for about $2000 all up.... Covers everything from funk, jazz, blues, all the way to the shreddiest of shred.... If you need any advice with which options to pick just message me
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by JELIFISH19
There's no reason those guitars won't do jazz. They'll do them just as well as anything else. Jazz is a style of playing. Jazz players play on a variety of instruments. There's no specific tone associated with it. Some play with solid-bodies, others play with hollow-bodies. Some play with humbuckers, others play with single-coils. You can play jazz on a Jackson Warrior just fine if you wanted to. It may look funny but it's frankly not very different from most guitars out there. The main difference is the aesthetics. It's a solid-body guitar with humbuckers like half of the other electric guitars on the market. The sound won't vary that much. You just need a good amp for it. I would take a Schecter Hellraiser with EMGs and a Floyd Rose with a JC-120 over a George Benson sig and a VHT Pitbull for Jazz. The amp will produce the jazz tone more than anything else.

+1 this needed to be said.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
So you like it loud, thought about buying a Les Paul Standard and swapping the pickups out with P90s? You could also modify the neck later on using Warmoth.
You could go with an Ibanez S if you can find one for a decent price too, those are pretty good for a load of styles with a pup swap, since they have an H/S/H configuration. Or a Suhr, but I'm not sure if their prices are under $2k, custom or not.

But still man, Carvin would be my first choice. A really nice H/H or H/S/H superstrat would run between $1400 and $2000, right in your price range and with all the options you could need.

http://carvinguitars.com/customshop/solidbody.php
http://suhrguitars.com/
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/home
Quote by JELIFISH19

Alright, that's fair enough.

Well, I tried out the Parker and I loved it. So I got that.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X