Initially I did not like Justin Sandercoe's rec for the A chord: middle on D index on G and ring on B. I could not get it to work without muting or buzzing. One little adjustment seemed to do the trick. If I turn the index to put it on a diagonal, it works just fine. Anyone else use Justin's method and if you do, do you shift your index finger?
-Mike
I sort of have my fingers placed diagonally. I have my index furthest away from the 2nd fret, middle in the middle, and my ring finger closest. That works for me, no need to adjust my index
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
heh, I bar it with my index and have my finger bent to the high e string isn't impeded. I think that is just something I do because that is how I taught myself a long time ago, but everyone I show it to thinks it is making it more difficult than it has to be.
Quote by katalyzt13
heh, I bar it with my index and have my finger bent to the high e string isn't impeded. I think that is just something I do because that is how I taught myself a long time ago, but everyone I show it to thinks it is making it more difficult than it has to be.

That's how I've always done it.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by Reisgar42
That's how I've always done it.

Wow, I just had a "we're all under the same sky" type moment.
Quote by tappooh
try pinky on the B, ring finger on the G, middle finger on the D

I can do that. I was barring but I find that neither is optimal for changes. Justin's way seems to be easier for changes, although it is a little tricky for me when I have a capo on
-Mike
Quote by Widefingers
I can do that. I was barring but I find that neither is optimal for changes. Justin's way seems to be easier for changes, although it is a little tricky for me when I have a capo on

I can't say I like Justin's way at all. You should learn the way Tappooh said, since otherwise I don't know how you are going to bar the A shape and still have every note come out clear. Even for playing it open, I prefer a ring on D, middle on G, pointer on B. I feel like I have more control over my pinky this way if I wanted to use it to add something to the chord.
I just bar it with the index or rudie!
Gear:
Roland Cube 15X
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Dunlop Jazz III pick (max grip)
Roland HD-1 Elec drum kit

add me on fb!
Justin uses the CAGED system, its a little more difficult at the begining but well worth learning.
You notice he rearly uses barre chords. Cheers
Quote by Dragonblood21
Even for playing it open, I prefer a ring on D, middle on G, pointer on B. I feel like I have more control over my pinky this way if I wanted to use it to add something to the chord.

That seems very difficult. First I have heard of this.
-Mike
Quote by tappooh

I do it with this, since in the way that you said it or Justin I find it a bit difficult to switch from something like B to A like in the beginning of I am the walrus.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
I used to use Justin's method, but for the past few days, i've been using a one finger bar with my thumb muting the low E string. Sounds cooler.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
I use Justin's fingering normally, however for quick changes I just bar the 3 strings with my index finger. I dislike the 'conventional' fingering
I've never known anyone fret an A chord that way o_O

index on the D, middle on the G and ring on the B, or just barre it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

index on the D, middle on the G and ring on the B, or just barre it.

I never do it this traditional way because it is too much of a tight squeeze
-Mike
Now I am thinking that the fingering for A (or other chords as well) depends on where I am going next. For example, if am going from A to a Bm barre chord, I would use pinky, ring and middle because the pinky and ring are part of the Bm shape. Going from A using a barre to a Bm barre seems a little awkward for me but doable. Does this make sense?
-Mike
Quote by Widefingers
Now I am thinking that the fingering for A (or other chords as well) depends on where I am going next. For example, if am going from A to a Bm barre chord, I would use pinky, ring and middle because the pinky and ring are part of the Bm shape. Going from A using a barre to a Bm barre seems a little awkward for me but doable. Does this make sense?

If I do a quick change to A, I use the index bar version as its so much easier to place down quickly, if I'm playing something higher up the neck I'd probably play an A barre chord at the 5th fret, if I change from a regular open chord I normally use 'justins' fingering for it.
Quote by tappooh

This is what I do and it is by far the easiest for me.
Quote by tappooh

That's how my teacher has taught me. His rationale for this was "you'll need to do this to play A-shape Barre chords so you might as well begin with that end in mind".

I think that's sound reasoning - but I still can't play A-shaped Barre chords very high up the fretboard yet.