Hello All!
Long time, no post! Well, here is my most recent project, my first cab, the Ampeg 8x10 powerhouse, and a behemoth of a first try! It's been a long and arduous undertaking, but it has been so amazing being able to put this together and watch it grow day by day, and even more amazing to learn to do this all on my own, and have such a good outcome.

I'll start from day one. After a long day of preparing fresh Maine seafood for hundreds of folks, I came home and asked my father for a little help roughing out my pieces. We got both sides, top and bottom, the back, and the angles of the back cut out and dadoed.

That took all of about 15 minutes for my master craftsman father to pound out. The next morning at about 6:30, I awoke to the sound of diesels outside my window, and rose from bed to find out that my father had just had a major heart attack, and after being rushed to the hospital, passed away for 15 seconds before being shocked back to consciousness. With my mother's assurance that dad would be okay, I continued on the project, solo.

On day two, I just had so much on my mind, I did nothing but focus on the project. I managed to get all the pieces glued, clamped, and nailed, all alone, which sounds a lot easier than it is when you're dealing with a cab this size.

There it stands after two days!

^This is just the same time with my speakerboard set in there, also my Bassman Ten head... Good luck finding one... The heads are one in a million. haha

(If anyone doesn't know why, I'll gladly explain.)

This is after I installed the "shelves." The Ampeg 8x10 has 4 seperate chambers of 2x10's, and this helps compress the air, and push the speakers. Fun stuff!

This is the back of the head. The whole enclosure is getting redone, because I totally slacked on the measuring, but everything fit in there, so that's a project for another day!

Primed. This is about the time dad got home from the hospital. In a way, it was good that he had it, because the treatment he got helped solve a lot of other problems he was having with his legs, headaches, etc. and I'm happy to say he's making an awesome recovery!

This is a close shot of the texture. There was no point in doing tolex in something this big for 3 reasons:
1)Cost
2)The tolex will wear out in one day
3)I will never have the patience to apply it perfectly

The secret? Well, without giving too much away, I'm "Getting two birds stoned at the same time," (as Ricky from TPB would say) this paint not only seals the creases that the glue missed, it is super textured, and after about 7 or 8 coats, it was reallllllly convincing.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Last edited by poochy at Jul 1, 2011,

black paint. I've had every person that I've had view the cab comment on how convincing the texture is. Once it sets, it will be waaay stronger than tolex... it's been a week now, and still not totally dry. Also, I cut a hole in the back, and inserted a brace for my access plate. Sexy looking towel bar (haha) put on, as well as heavy duty casters, both bolted down, they will never come off. But what about those beautiful chrome skid rails on the back of Ampeg's 8x10? I spent hours looking through every marine store, hardware, etc... nothing. So I improvised.

Two pieces of National Steel's 1/2" stock, angled at 45 degrees on either side. I'll probably get on the business end of a grinder and make em look at purdy, but for now.... GOOD ENOUGH!

This is the control plate that I fashioned. My original got destroyed... I severely underestimated the strength of aluminum plate compared to a steel bit... ah well. This is the new one, a slightly smaller, steel box from... you guessed it, your local hardware store! Wish I hadn't destroyed the other, but I'll buy another. (x1) speakon at 4 ohms impedance, and (x2) 1/4" at 8 ohms apiece. The speakon is being replaced by another with a switch that turns on when a jack in inserted. Still waiting on that from USPS.

Control plate and skid rails, starting to look like an Ampeg now!!! And so it sat for about a week. I ordered drivers from Crispdeals.com ... Let me tell you. I was sketched the F*** out! This place has such awesome deals that I thought it was a scam, $54 for drivers that musiciansfriend had for $70 a piece... after shipping I ended up saving about $40, a pretty crisp deal if you ask me, and I only ordered the first half of my speakers. Aaaand, I'm pretty sure if you call them and ask, they ship for free. Highly recommended. Maybe musiciansfriend can price match them, who knows?! Anyway, enough rambling, Those came in the mail today.

Here they are!

Holes all cut, T-nuts put in. If anyone tells you not to use T-nuts for your speakers, hit them in the face, because There ain't no better way! They are, however a huge pain in the ass!

Here they all (almost) all mounted. I'm stoked to play a couple more shows, and get the rest of the speakers, and then start on my GUITAR cab.

If you're interested, my current live rig is a Mesa Big Block 750, run into 1 Mesa 4x10, and a Mesa 2x12. My new rig will be an Ampeg SVT classic!!!!! That will be coming in October, but for now, the Mesa will drive this live, and maybe the Bassman if I can get enough out of it. With 8-10's, I should have no problem driving away my nasty neighbors!

edit: photos are fixed! sorry for the inconvenience!

Simple rig fan.
...I don't see any pictures.
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
Images are all set, here's a little more info:

Speakers are Eminence Legend B-810's, 32 ohms each.
92.7dB @ 1W/1ft, so if my math is correct, 113.7dB @ 1W/1ft total, and at 70w should be (and this is probably not right at all) 131.7dB @ 70w/1ft (see, I told you it probably wasn't right)
150w a piece, 600w per 4x10, 1200 total

Fender Bassman 10 drives 70w @ 4 ohms.
The Bassman 10 was made in the 1970's as a 4x10 combo amplifier. It drove 4 CTS (I think) 32 ohm speakers, which is a little strange because it's got 4 ohms out. Go figure. The reason I say the heads are one in a million, is that most people left them alone, but they guy who I acquired this from, got it from some young kid who gutted the thing. I picked it up for $150, and that includes a Fender 2x15 Bassman cab. I am hoping that the cab he gives me is a REAL Bassman cab, that's worth some cash, because it obviously isn't original, like he said!

Simple rig fan.
Quote by poochy
Images are all set, here's a little more info:

Speakers are Eminence Legend B-810's, 32 ohms each.
92.7dB @ 1W/1ft, so if my math is correct, 113.7dB @ 1W/1ft total, and at 70w should be (and this is probably not right at all) 131.7dB @ 70w/1ft (see, I told you it probably wasn't right)
150w a piece, 600w per 4x10, 1200 total

Fender Bassman 10 drives 70w @ 4 ohms.
The Bassman 10 was made in the 1970's as a 4x10 combo amplifier. It drove 4 CTS (I think) 32 ohm speakers, which is a little strange because it's got 4 ohms out. Go figure. The reason I say the heads are one in a million, is that most people left them alone, but they guy who I acquired this from, got it from some young kid who gutted the thing. I picked it up for $150, and that includes a Fender 2x15 Bassman cab. I am hoping that the cab he gives me is a REAL Bassman cab, that's worth some cash, because it obviously isn't original, like he said!
Awesome deal! They were probably 4 16 ohm speakers wired parallel for a total of 4 ohms.

Awesome news about your dad! And very nice build!

I miss my ratty Ampeg 810 ... that beast can be felt! Those SVT CLs can be pricey so I'm always on the lookout.

Looking forward to more progress pics!

i can't tell what you used to create the textured paint. what was it? was it mixed into the primer?
Bedliner sucks! Trust me, I went through every variable when it comes to getting that textured look, that's what I didn't mention; a lot of trial and error. It ran about $12 a can for the *decent stuff, and I used two cans just for 2 of the compartments before I gave up. I'll divulge the secret, haha! It's called DryLok. It's cinderblock paint, and it's used to seal your basement from water, So it's real good for sealing up cracks. They recommend you don't use it for wood, but who reads instructions anyway!? It does just a fine job, and it has little pieces of sand in it to fit in with cinder blocks. It's about $25 a gallon at your local harware store, and then cover with some X-O Rust to smooth it out. Oh, and I used a good thick roller to put it on, I'm sure it was 3/4" nap, the stucco painting kind, but that will definitely help. So far I've used all except an inch at the bottom of the Drylok gallon, but that's inside and out.

....Okay, so maybe it was a little harsh, Bedliner or undercoat would be good, but not for something this size! It would be perfect for a 2x12, but a can doesn't really go as far as you would think. There was some kind of sealer, texturized thing in infomercials, but I didn't want to wait for it in the mail; it look like the ticket! and yes; any big box or local hardware store will have DryLok.

As for the speakers in the bassman, I am 100% positive they were 32 ohm, I think just because it has an extension for 4 ohms that once you use both, they end up being 8 ohms in parallel.... idk what they were thinking at CBS! Edit: when most people replace their speaks, they do use 4-16 ohms, thank you!

Thanks you for your kind words, I'll be sure to update as soon as I get the rest of the speakers in. I'm debating whether to do the other half with Jensen Mods, just to get a tonal difference and take a stab in power handling... What do you guys think?!?!

Simple rig fan.
Last edited by poochy at Jul 2, 2011,
Amazing work so far dude, this looks like a beast.

All the best for your father, my Bon Papa recently had a quad-bipass, scary stuff. Good to hear he is recovering well.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
thanks for the crispdeals mention, i've been looking for speakers for my cab project.
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
Looks absolutely great!
What are you going to use for the front of the cab?
Also, did you make any ports in it? I can't tell from the pics.

Keep it up, looking forward to seeing your guitar cab!
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
N_J_B_B, Glad to hear your father is doing well also! That's a maaaajor surgery! They just put in a couple stints for my old man, and now he feels like a million bucks!

Ippon, I am so on the fence! It all comes down to how much money I have when I get tired of looking at the lonesome 4x10's! I found a source for Mods @ $33, and I think they have free shipping over $100 or something... Fliptops.net is that place.
Edit: Yes, one jack will be one set of 4x10's at 8 ohms, then another, then the speakon will be both, and it has a Normally closed switch build in so that it takes itself out of the circuit if there's no speakon inserted. Pretty slick!

Joey, I'd recommend Either Crispdeals.com or Fliptops.net. You don't save a lot of money, but $40 is $40 no matter how you cut it! Start up a thread and link me, keep me posted Brotha!

Roast, The front will be Some sort of grill cloth. I'm not entirely sure on color, or brand, but it's definitely going to be the last thing I do. I'll probably order the speakers and cloth at the same time, combine shipping. yadayada. No ports, either! The Ampeg 8x10 is entirely sealed, and when you gently push one driver in, the other should be pushed out. This design makes use of the negative movement of the speaker; the speakers negative movement, and the compression from the individual chambers helps to push the speakers back out on the positive motion. at least that's my understanding. I'm getting pretty stoked up on getting it done, but as I said before, it's all down to playing a couple more gigs and getting the money to do it!

As for the guitar cab, I'll keep you all posted, planning on putting in a pair of NOS 8 ohm ElectroVoice speakers that my guitarist is giving me in there.

Simple rig fan.
Last edited by poochy at Jul 2, 2011,
don't know if you've picked up on it already,but as an 8x10 owner,I can tell you,two handles on each side makes life SO much easier
But aside from that,nice build
My 8x10 is a home made SVT810 clone,not by myself however.
Goodluck!
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by poochy
Roast, The front will be Some sort of grill cloth. I'm not entirely sure on color, or brand, but it's definitely going to be the last thing I do. I'll probably order the speakers and cloth at the same time, combine shipping. yadayada. No ports, either! The Ampeg 8x10 is entirely sealed, and when you gently push one driver in, the other should be pushed out. This design makes use of the negative movement of the speaker; the speakers negative movement, and the compression from the individual chambers helps to push the speakers back out on the positive motion. at least that's my understanding. I'm getting pretty stoked up on getting it done, but as I said before, it's all down to playing a couple more gigs and getting the money to do it!

Awesome. With no ports, its gonna be super wobby! I like it!
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Ian, I can imagine it does! I debated on having 2 bars and casters on the back in lieu of skid rails, but being as nit-picky as I am about having stainless steel (everything except the rails and the plate, including the brads I used to stick it together) it would have cost me soooo much more money. It was $20 for each stainless caster, and then $32 for the towel bar... that would be $144 by the time I was done! haha, I drive a VW Jetta, so I should be able to roll it up to the trunk and slide it in, hopefully by myself! ... that's assuming that it will fit (which it will).

I severely underestimated the weight of these things... So far I've thrown 2 sheets of plywood, a gallon and a half of paint, 2 tubes of poly caulking, 5lbs of stainless brads, and 4 drivers.... she's got heft!

Oh and just an afterthought, don't even consider calling Ampeg (or "Loud" as they like to be called now) to order parts. After waiting on hold for about 30 minutes, I explained to the guy that I was building an 8x10 cab modeled after the Ampeg, he seemed interested, and I said I needed drivers...
"How many?" He says, and I explain that I need 8. "I find it hard to believe that you blew 8 speakers." I re-explained the point of my call, and he asked for a serial number. I explained to him again why it would be difficult to attain that info, and he told me there was "Nothing he could do without a serial number," and I explained that all I needed were 32 ohm 150w drivers that have been in every Ampeg cab since like 1985 or whenever, and he ballparked me a figure of $90 a driver... EFF THAT!

At least he looked, every music store in my area (Bangor, Maine) acted like they've never heard of a pro audio 32 ohm speaker. One guy (Mark from Marks Music, douchebag!) refused to look in his book for them because he insisted that those speakers are "only for cars," and then proceeded to tell me that he could get them no matter what... yeah right... you just lost a potential $600 sale. Another guy at my preferred store looked in his book, and they didn't list a 32 ohmer, but spent another half hour trying to convince me that Ampeg wires their 8x10's for 8 ohms, which is just mularkey.

Sorry guys, I have just had such a trip making this, and no one cares enough about this stuff to listen! Also, if anyone is interested in getting a cab but doesn't want to build it themselves should send me a PM, I don't want to make money, just build these!!

Simple rig fan.
It's an '02! If I fold the backseat down, and wrestle it through the backseat, I should have no problem! You'd be amazed at how much stuff I can fit in that car (when it's clean). 2 Mesa cabs fit in the backseat, too, no problem! German engineering!

Anyway, a little update, during my break from work, I came home and cut the holes for the bottom section and painted black. Looks more and more like a real cab every day! Hopefully ordering the rest of the speakers Wednesday!

Simple rig fan.
Quote by Ippon
It'll fit in a Jetta? o_0 You sure?...

that will be shocking since my Mesa Boogie Diesel 2x15 is a puta madre to fit in my 2000 jetta's back seat. i only have a hair on each side to close the doors and i have to shimmy the seats around to make it work.

and thank you for the tips on the paint. that is awesome info.
Quote by poochy
... Also, if anyone is interested in getting a cab but doesn't want to build it themselves should send me a PM, I don't want to make money, just build these!!
Shipping will slay!

Better yet, list of materials, measurements, etc.

Holes all cut, T-nuts put in. If anyone tells you not to use T-nuts for your speakers, hit them in the face, because There ain't no better way! They are, however a huge pain in the ass!

It might just be how I'm seeing the picture but those T-nuts look like they are on the wrong side of the wood. Nice build and well done with the paint work, good idea.