I recently bought 5 new 12AX7s of various brands (a Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+ in V1, a Ruby AC7 HG in V2, Penta Labs 12AX7 in V3, a Sovtek 12AX7WC in V4(effects loop), and a Sovtek LPS in V5, the phase inverter) to replace the stock Sovteks in my Egnater Rebel 30. After putting all the tubes in (and, to my knowledge, not changing anything else in the amp), I turned it on. Each of the tubes seems to light up, including the power tubes. However, no sound comes out of the amp when I play except for the noise that I was trying to remedy by replacing the tubes

Is it possible that I blew a fuse? If so, do I just need to replace the fuse or is this indicative of a deeper issue? Yes, I did check the cable, and it works with neither of my guitars. I'll be happy to provide more info if needed.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Probably.

Also, you shouldn't mix those tubes like they - they need to be matched.
Take your amp to a tech and have him check it out and re-bias it.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
Probably.

You don't need to bias for preamp tubes. At least not from 12AX7s to 12AX7s. Doug from Dougstubes recommended me this set.

Are there any other possibilities, or is it just "probably" a fuse and otherwise possession by demons? Should I call my local shaman?
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by stonyman65
Probably.

Power tubes have to be matched. These were all pre amp tubes...

You may very well have bought a bad preamp tube. Take one of your earlier tubes and swap it one at a time until you get a signal again. Obviously the tube that is left out is bad, and you should try to get a refund for it.

If the tubes are still lit up then you did not blow a fuse most likely, especially if you still get a noise.
Okay, yeah, I haven't yet tried that, mostly because I don't feel like messing with the backplate again. All I have is a cheap screwdriver at home, which is not so handy. I'm going to take a shower and try that, update forthcoming. Thanks for the advice.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Update: I checked each tube individually by putting all the old ones back in and replacing them one by one with the new tubes, similar to what XGamerGt04 suggested. Each successive tube left the amp working and sounding slightly better each time, and left me worrying more and more that I'd look like an idiot on the interwebz for not pushing a tube in all the way. However, the Sovtek 12AX7LPS that I ordered for the phase inverter was the culprit. Thank goodness it's nothing more serious.

While I'm here, is it worth it to upgrade to a better long-plate tube like a Mullard or even a NOS 12AX7 for the phase inverter? Or should I just ask Doug for a replacement?
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
ask Doug for a replacement but I can say I've ran a Jan Phillips 5751 in the PI of my amp with great success. I think I actually bought that tube from Doug as well. Just ask him what he recommends. Glad to hear you got it sorted.
I am in email correspondence with Doug atm. I definitely will keep the recommendation in mind, thanks 311.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
i wouldn't worry about a NOS tube in the PI position, seems to have the least effect as the PI.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
One more question: Why is it that long-plated tubes are not advisable for small-wattage amps, but work well in the phase inverter?
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
One more question: Why is it that long-plated tubes are not advisable for small-wattage amps, but work well in the phase inverter?

I've never once heard this advice. Who told you this?
Well, I shouldn't say low-wattage. This is the relevant portion of the email I received from Doug of dougstubes:

The Mullard 12AX7 would be great in the PI, not too keen on a long plate tube in V1-V3 in these type of amps.

I asked him if a Mullard 12AX7 would be advisable for V1. I just assumed he meant low wattage was the reason, since my amp has both major types of small power tubes and runs a fairly typical 2-channel setup.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Since Doug suggested it, maybe you can ask him why? It can simply be a case where he hears something he doesn't like.

Sometimes, when it comes to the impact of tubes on the overall tone, I think its really all a matter of taste and opinion.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
That could very well be. I asked him, but he's undoubtedly a busy man, so I don't expect nor deserve a response.

On a somewhat related note, the reason I retubed my preamp section is that I thought certain noises would be resolved by doing this. These noises can best be described as a whooshing, crackling white noise. The problem is sporadic, and wasn't resolved by replacing V1-V4. I am thinking that either the PI or power section is at fault here. Any ideas?
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
It's always worth buying NOS preamp tubes if you can find some for a decent price. NOS Russian tubes aren't worth the bother. The PI would be the last place I'd put it though. However, JAN Phillips do work brilliantly as a phase inverter.

A whooshing noise can be caused by lots of things, power valves are one possibility. What amp is it btw?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ibz_bucket
That could very well be. I asked him, but he's undoubtedly a busy man, so I don't expect nor deserve a response.

On a somewhat related note, the reason I retubed my preamp section is that I thought certain noises would be resolved by doing this. These noises can best be described as a whooshing, crackling white noise. The problem is sporadic, and wasn't resolved by replacing V1-V4. I am thinking that either the PI or power section is at fault here. Any ideas?

I'm sorry to say. but you give him money. no matter how busy he is, good customer service is important. don't ever feel diminished because you feel you don't ''deserve'' a reply.

I deal with bareknuckle pickups and sometimes ask tim (the owner and main winder) the stupidest questions and i always get articulate replies. i've only bought 5 pickups from the man too! you deserve to have good answers. condescending replies are only an incentive to take your business elswhere imho.

also. i,m no tube expert but if changing all your preamp tubes (save for the PI, once you get that sorted out it might help) i'd say the power tubes are at fault. alot of ''farts'' i've come across were related to power tubes. if you don't know what you're doing don't touch anything, but i've found that lightly tapping each tube with a wooden stick (i do mean lightly!) can help you figure out if the problem comes from the power tube.

i did that on a customer's amp which was having intermittent power drops and pops. i tapped each tube... 'till i got to one that popped loudly and did a very bright blue spark. turned off the power, took the tube out. that tube had a loose part inside it.
Last edited by sebediah at Jul 3, 2011,
Egnater Rebel 30 Combo. Stock JJ power tubes.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Cleaning the PCB could help but my guess is you are going to need power valves. It's worth having spares anyway so even if it's not them you've wasted nothing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That's a good point. I've been very happy with the JJs, but have nothing to compare them to, since this amp is also my first tube amp. Any recommendations? I play lots of Pink Floyd, Queen, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and music in that vein (classic rock/early metal/NWOBHM), as well as more modern stuff like Andy Timmons, Van Halen, and Rush. I'm not expecting anything too awesome in terms of big tube sounds, because I know I won't get that out of EL84s or 6V6s, but that should give you an idea of what I want. For a lead tone, I especially adore Brian May's. My gear is in my sig, briefly, but let me be more specific: The Ibanez, which is the guitar I will be taking with me to college in about 2 months, has a Dimarzio AT-1 in the bridge, True Velvet in the middle position, and PAF Joe in the neck. I may later take the PRS depending on dorm conditions. I am using a BB Preamp and Mad Professor Sweet Honey for overdrive.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
JJ are about as good as you can get in a modern valve. Their 6V6's are comparable to good NOS valves. I think it's the best thing they make. Their EL84's are pretty good too. I'd just stay with the JJ's.
Btw, did you get a balanced valve for the phase inverter?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
...Possibly? Each of the tubes sent to me had two numbers on it, separated by a slash. For example, they would say 105/110 or something like that. The one for the PI said (I think, I've already sent it back) 120/120. Is that what you mean by balanced?
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Yes
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by sebediah
I'm sorry to say. but you give him money. no matter how busy he is, good customer service is important. don't ever feel diminished because you feel you don't ''deserve'' a reply.

I deal with bareknuckle pickups and sometimes ask tim (the owner and main winder) the stupidest questions and i always get articulate replies. i've only bought 5 pickups from the man too! you deserve to have good answers. condescending replies are only an incentive to take your business elswhere imho.

+1

I agree on it, it really doesn't matter how much money you've given the dude regardless of whether its $0.05 or $500.

I've bought 5 pups from Bare Knuckles... and no matter whether its by writing in or calling Tim always takes the time to ensure all my questions are answered. That's basic customer service there.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Well, I may ask him again when I send him an email to confirm the replacement. I followed him on Twitter, I deserve a well-reasoned response, god damnit!
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30