Hey everyone. I've been playing six-string guitar for about 2, maybe 3 years. Maybe I've gone the wrong way about learning, but for the most part, I've only taught myself through writing my own music and sometimes playing with other musicians' songs - I've never memorized anything, but rather practice and maybe record. I guess I'm more into making/producing music than actually playing the instrument, not to say that I don't enjoy playing.
Growing more and more interested in progressive metal and the sound a seven-string guitar provides, I'm probably going to purchase one some time next week. And I'm basically asking for tips when it comes to learning the instrument, and how to go about practicing it; maybe develop some skills to start playing with a band in the future. If anybody can do that, or maybe link me to some tabs or online lessons, that'd be great.

THANKS!
Just the same as learning a 6-string, just with a fatter neck and another string, but it will take some getting used to. Check out Agile or Ibanez's 7s.

Also, all the bands that I can think of that play 7's is: later Trivium, Unearth, All Shall Perish (iirc), Scar Symmetry, Flaw, Emperor, sometimes Dream Theater, and you can play Soilwork by tuning the B string to F# (and any other B standard bands).

EDIT: and Adagio, but most of their stuff is probably above your skill level if you've only been playing for a few years.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Last edited by JagerSlushy at Jul 1, 2011,
just learn it. the only difference is a low B string. u learn by practice, and learn how to incorporate the low B for more than just chug chug riffs through more practice.
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
Quote by scarter1192
If you are gonna get into 7 string, you HAVE to listen to Periphery.

This^ and the whole djent-progressive metal scene thats happening

Dream Theater and Nevermore is some of the best 7 string work

And in my opinion A Changes of Seasons is the ULTIMATE 7 string song
What is thall? THALL
Agile Interceptor Pro 727
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Quote by scarter1192
If you are gonna get into 7 string, you HAVE to listen to Periphery.

This man knows what he's talking about
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Yep, I love djent.. or at least the tone, haha. Monuments, Fellsilent, TesseracT, Periphery (minus the vocals), Textures, Chimp Spanner etc etc.. all good.
But thanks everyone!
from a musical stand point it also opens up more scale shapes and patterns with the added neck, you can start doing crazy Jeff loomis sweeps or Chris Broderick 8 finger tapping!

"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"